C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING: Starting a column lock argument!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WARNING: Starting a column lock argument!

I'm sure this will raise a ruckus. I am searching for a used coupe with a 6 speed. I have read many things about the column lock recall, including the very good sticky that John wrote. I also called the service departments at Superior Chevy in Kansas and Scoggin-Dickey in Texas. The gang at Superior has had to repeat the recall on a few manual transmission cars, but they said that they have handled many recalls and that when done properly, the fixes work. The person at Scoggin-Dickey thought that all of their fixes had worked. The person also said that some people may have trouble if a dealership only makes an inspection of the column lock but doesn't reprogram the PCM and add the relay to the BCM. Perhaps their mechanics would tell a different story, but for the sake of argument (perhaps I should say "for the sake of starting a good riot"), let's assume the service writers at both dealerships are correct.

I'm putting my helmet on and jumping into a foxhole to watch the fireworks over this post.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 M6 has the recall / PCM reprogrammed and I haven't had it lock up on me since I purchased it over a year ago & 20k miles. Although I am still eyeing the Column Lock By-Pass.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 PM
cliff_ford
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well having had mine lock up may times and had the recall done twice, last time the car was dragged sideways out of my drive. I have to say that I have a CLB kit ready to install on my Euro A4, GM don't remove the locking plate on autos in Europe.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
MGorman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s my understanding that the “fix” for the MN6 only ensures that the car won’t start or run when the lock fails to disengage. I believe Chevrolet has successfully addressed this issue.

For auto trans cars Chevy will supposedly remove the locking plate. For auto cars this should resolve the issue.

The “fix” for MN6 cars DOES NOT PREVENT THE WHEEL FROM LOCKING UP AND DISABLING THE VEHICLE. It will happen eventually and at the most inconvenient time. Removal of the plate or installation of the CLB are the only true fixes for the MN6. Chevy does neither.

If you have a MN6 just spend $50 for the CLB and be done with it!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:29 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM
c5freak
Drifting

Originally Posted by MGorman
It’s my understanding that the “fix” for the MN6 only ensures that the car won’t start or run when the lock fails to disengage. I believe Chevrolet has successfully addressed this issue.

For auto trans cars Chevy will supposedly remove the locking plate. For auto cars this should resolve the issue.

The “fix” for MN6 cars DOES NOT PREVENT THE WHEEL FROM LOCKING UP AND DISABLING THE VEHICLE. It will happen eventually and at the most inconvenient time. Removal of the plate or installation of the CLB are the only true fixes for the MN6. Chevy does neither.

If you have a MN6 just spend $50 for the CLB and be done with it!

It's only 50 bucks. Spend it. It won't leave a mark!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:41 PM
coast7
Racer

Why is this still being discussed? It is a no brainer If you have a MN6, you need a CLB, whether the GM-cl recall has been done at the dealership or not
Old 02-01-2006, 09:49 PM
dazman
Instructor

gm recall did NOTHING for my 97 m6.... **** gm and their colum lock. its about as good an idea as their mother f-ing grounding, DIC, fly by wire, and everything else that will **** any vette owner off to no end...

mike
Old 02-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dazman
gm recall did NOTHING for my 97 m6.... **** gm and their colum lock. its about as good an idea as their mother f-ing grounding, DIC, fly by wire, and everything else that will **** any vette owner off to no end...

mike
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

...And if you have a custom tune (Like I do) you can forget it... Or lose your custom tune when the pinheads at GM flash your PCM.

It's real simple... Buy the CLBP from one of the vendors for $50-70 and do the install in 30 minutes or less and BE DONE with it. GM's "fix" works for the autos, but if you're rowing gears with an M6 or M12, it won't help.

Oh, and Let's NOT assume anything when it comes to the service writers at both places. Their job is to get you in and out with as little impact to their service department as possible. You're costing them money, so they want you out the door quickly, not necessarilly fixed properly either.

Buy a CLBP.
Mike
Old 02-02-2006, 07:57 PM
beltfed21
Racer

Default The recall mods can also suck for A4's!

I know I shouldn't jump in here, since mine is an A4, but I just have to bitch about how I had to pay for a tow and then $527 for a column lock motor even though the recall had been done earlier and my column no longer locked! How stupid is that?!! To pay for a motor that should not even be needed anymore!! I don't know why GM's K-harness keeps the column lock motor in the loop and required to be functioning. (The CLB does not. Wish I had known about the CLB before trusting that the recall mods would fix all my worries. Note that I recently traded my 2000 A4 for a 2003 A4, and the column lock issue was one of my reasons for going to a newer than 2000 and for sticking with the automatic.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:56 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I took my car in for the recall in January 2004, but this week after getting a new ECM installed, all of a sudden the service column lock message appeared, and the car would shut off when you moved forward a few feet.

I had it trailered to a different GM dealer and they informed me that even though the first dealer billed GM for the recall job, they never actually performed it!!! Scary stuff!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 AM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Dealers are sometimes a little dishonest!

I have a 98 and never ever had a problem. I got a letter from GM about the recall. I went and had it done. Everything still seemed fine although the car made a zip sound when turning the car on or off. I was at the same dealer that did the recall getting my window repaired when they informed me the service column lock display came on and the car would not run. I told them that I had the recall and they said the problem now had nothing to do with the recall they did. Well, I ended up having to buy a part # 88965331 lock 2.195 for $191.27
and Part # 89023816 harness K 2 .195 for $114.04 and $about $150.00 to install the parts to get my car back and running.
I called GM and they just blew me off saying the parts that I just paid for had nothing to do with the recall. Thay did send me a certificate to give me $800.00 off if I purchased a brand new Corvette for $50 or 60 thousand dollars though. They can stick the certificate because I will never ever buy a new GM car. I'll just keep what I have and take it to the independent shops when it needs things I can't do. I will get all of My GM stuff from Bob at FICHTNERS because they are are forum supporter and give great service and prices.
Oh, bottom line is after the window repair and having to buy a used 12 disc CD changer because the mechenic shorted out my system My bill was almost $1,600.00 by the time I was through. Oh yea, I also need a right side actuater for my HVAC after the dealer screwed everything up. I live near DAYTONA so I probably don't need to give the dealer name.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I had the recall done on my 2002 MN6 coupe by one of the very best Corvette Technicians in this country, Steve Spencer, Bryner Chevrolet, Phila PA

Steve advised me that on the manual transmission cars it is NOT a guarantee that the recall will fix, as a matter of fact, he said it will NOT fix it. It could still lock up".

2 months later, sure enought, it locked on me. I installed the CLB and just did away with the locking steering column.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
2 months later, sure enought, it locked on me. I installed the CLB and just did away with the locking steering column.
Good move.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:34 PM
beltfed21
Racer

Default You got ripped off on the harness.

Originally Posted by ronnie948
I have a 98 and never ever had a problem. I got a letter from GM about the recall. I went and had it done. Everything still seemed fine although the car made a zip sound when turning the car on or off. I was at the same dealer that did the recall getting my window repaired when they informed me the service column lock display came on and the car would not run. I told them that I had the recall and they said the problem now had nothing to do with the recall they did. Well, I ended up having to buy a part # 88965331 lock 2.195 for $191.27
and Part # 89023816 harness K 2 .195 for $114.04 and $about $150.00 to install the parts to get my car back and running.
I called GM and they just blew me off saying the parts that I just paid for had nothing to do with the recall. Thay did send me a certificate to give me $800.00 off if I purchased a brand new Corvette for $50 or 60 thousand dollars though. They can stick the certificate because I will never ever buy a new GM car. I'll just keep what I have and take it to the independent shops when it needs things I can't do. I will get all of My GM stuff from Bob at FICHTNERS because they are are forum supporter and give great service and prices.
Oh, bottom line is after the window repair and having to buy a used 12 disc CD changer because the mechenic shorted out my system My bill was almost $1,600.00 by the time I was through. Oh yea, I also need a right side actuater for my HVAC after the dealer screwed everything up. I live near DAYTONA so I probably don't need to give the dealer name.
I think you got ripped on the K-harness. That IS related to the parts added during the recall, even if the part number was different than the one originally put on you car. (GM keeps trying to improve it due to failures of the relay in it.) You should get the money back for that part as well as any labor to install it. My advice to you now is to order a CLB and keep it on hand. I you ever get the SERVICE COLUMN LOCK message, first try disconnecting the column lock motor side of the harness-K. If that doesn't work, remove the damn thing and install the CLB. (The CLB does not require the column lock motor to be functioning. With it insalled, you will no longer hear the 'zip'.) It does have a relay that could fail, but it seems to be more reliable than the relay in the GM harness-K. Plus it only costs $49 from Corvettes of Houston. So replacing it would not ouch as much as going to a dealer.) Good luck.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be in the minority on this one but, mine has never been replaced and the Recall has never been done and my lock has never failed. Going on 4 yrs and 30K miles with no problems (knock on wood).

Get notified of new replies

To WARNING: Starting a column lock argument!

Old 02-04-2006, 05:52 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
I must be in the minority on this one but, mine has never been replaced and the Recall has never been done and my lock has never failed. Going on 4 yrs and 30K miles with no problems (knock on wood).
You obviously lead a good and wholesome life LOL !!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:59 PM
C5Jim
Racer

I have the same story. Took my 2000 MN6 cpe to the dealer for a wheel alignment and had them do the recall.
Two lock-ups later they replace the steering wheel lock motor and charged me my $100 warranty deductible.
When I called GM they said the motor was not covered under the recall.

What they should have said was... Sir, we don't pay for our mistakes, you do!!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:36 AM
DSKRALL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I had the recall done on my 2002 MN6 coupe by one of the very best Corvette Technicians in this country, Steve Spencer, Bryner Chevrolet, Phila PA

Steve advised me that on the manual transmission cars it is NOT a guarantee that the recall will fix, as a matter of fact, he said it will NOT fix it. It could still lock up".

Thanks for this reply. It's always good to know what quality mechanics have to say.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Starting a column lock argument!