C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Superchips experience, Never again!!!

Old 08-06-2001, 02:41 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Default My Superchips experience, Never again!!!

First I want to state Andy at A&A was great though all of this.

First Superchips screws up the order but instead of pushing mine to the front I wind up waiting an extra two weeks for delivery. Four weeks total.

I bring the car down to the dyno and run three base pulls. We then hookup the Microtuner and run though the program. The first thing I notice is the only option is to turn of the fans early. WTF where's the tire and gear change options???

We finish the program and go to start the car. BING BING BING, I've got a check engine light and the DIC flash up a storm. I reset the code but one kept coming back without starting the car. The engine would turn but wouldn't fire.

So we call Superchips and they suggest uploading back the stock program. While were waiting I ask about the tire size option and was told if it doesn't show up on the Microtuner then you can't do it. I got pissed and said this is a 97 and all your corvette ads states is available. He stated on some years it’s not available. GREAT...

So after the program uploaded again I'm presented with warning and the car won't start. We tried a few time and gave up. We rolled the car off the dyno and called a tow truck.

Superchips give me an RMA number and said to overnight the PCM and Microtuner to them and they would cover the shipping. Great I thought...

Once we get home I'm told we have to leave the car in front of the house as the driveways too steep. So now I'm out front with boards of wood trying to get the front high enough to get the jack under the car. After several tries the wheels off and the computers in my hands.

Next problem, My wife's away with the SUV so my only option is to walk two miles to the Mailboxes Etc to overnight everything. The total came to a little over $100 including insurance for both pieces.

So the following day I call Superchips to make sure it arrived as my nice Corvette is sitting on jack stands in front of the house. He states they received it and would ship out a new one in a few days!!! I don't think so, you told me to overnight it to you and they would send it back the next day. We also discussed the lack of tire size options and they said they would write in the correct tire size but that I still couldn't adjust it as an option.

The next day I have a refurbished PCM but no Microtuner??? I install the PCM and the car works fine with no problems.

While all this is going on I'm keeping Andy in the loop so he knows what's happing.

About two weeks later I received a Superchips check. They sent me $35 dollars, which doesn’t even cover the insurance. Now I'm pissed.

After about two weeks later still no Microtuner. I called and was told they said they were still working on it. Two weeks later it arrived and I'm calling Andy to return it.

Superchips now sucks in my book and I'll never deal with them again.

:mad This is Superchips :crazy: :smash:

Old 08-06-2001, 02:55 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (ddawson)

That blows! Thanks for warning us.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:58 PM
Buzzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (need-for-speed)

Ouch!! Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Thanks for the warning.
Old 08-06-2001, 04:25 PM
Nanoosy
Pro

Sorry to hear about this,,,,I think it is always wise to go with some reputable source for anything for the C5...Ed wrigt(sp.) or steve cole powerloader2 would've been your BEST choice for chip upgrades...
Old 08-06-2001, 04:26 PM
goldman
Pro

I had similar problems with Superchips...

I had to take it back to them (they're local) TWICE for the 3.42 axle correction & shift firmness (no change)... Both un-installs "crashed" my PCM, requireing it to be re-flashed... They did the re-flashing, same day, but the reprograming of the Superchip took about a week... I'm afraid to try it again, so I've returned it & ordered a Powerloader (4+ weeks ago).

Good Luck!!!!!!!

[Modified by goldman, 3:27 PM 8/6/2001]
Old 08-06-2001, 04:33 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soooo...Tell us how you really feel. :confused: My Microtuner is due to ship August 13. I can't cancel now. Anything I should ask for BEFORE they ship.By the way I waited 3 months for Powerloader and still no update or sdtatus. You just can't win. :chevy
Old 08-06-2001, 04:59 PM
goldman
Pro

Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (vstella)

vstella..
I think I already gave you some of the details of my problems in another post,,,
3.42 axle not properly corrected,
& no (noticeable) change in shift firmness..
& then the "crashing' of PCM when un-installing to go back to stock for another program attempt.

When I researched them before buying, I heard only good things, although people don't seem to "rave" about them, like they do Powerloader.

From what I've heard (so far) they seem to be "no hassel" about returns also.

Old 08-06-2001, 07:23 PM
Brazen C5
Racer

This is the first time ive heard any negative feedback about Superchips, but ive also heard negative things (esp. the backlog/time wait) for powerloader. It sounds like they are both professional people, but run a small business that has a demand. Without investing in a company to grow, these are the problems that arise. Pick your poison I guess...
Old 08-06-2001, 08:27 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (Brazen C5)

I'm happy with Superchips. I like their programs, would recc them and would use them again. They have FAST turn around. The Microtuner is more used to be able to flash YOUR OWN PCM and download new code off the web.

Any PCM program needs to be fine tuned to be perfect and you should expect so. Good customer service, avg. 4 day turn around on programming. Damn nice compared to spme people waitint 3-6 months. With the Microtuner you can reflash code downloaded off the Web at will AND reflash to Stock if you have issues. I don't see the problem other than the false assumption that programming is always going to be perfect the first time around.

Unless you ATAP and Wideband your car, most people never know if their computers are 100% on the money. All cars change as do mods. Sorry u had a bad experience. Perhaps your expectations were high. It's just programming.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:38 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

:eek:
Old 08-06-2001, 08:41 PM
BKVIEW4U
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (MelloYellow)

call Ed Wright at fastchips. he's the man on reflashing computers in my opinion :chevy
Old 08-06-2001, 08:54 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (BKVIEW4U)

Ed Wright/Fastchips is a good option too.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:17 AM
turboo2u
Pro

Still happy with my Hypertech 3, no problems yet! :p:
Old 08-07-2001, 01:25 AM
goldman
Pro

Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (MelloYellow)

I did NOT have the ability to go back to stock with my superchips... going back to stock, so they could "fine-tune" the program is what crashed my PCM (twice)... I'm afraid to try a third time!!! So I decided to try Powerloader & wait (& wait).

Superchips performance gains DID meet my expectations... & they're customer service is excellent (including return policy).

I did expect the Superchips (as advertised) to properly correct my 3.42 axle change (without error codes) & to firm my shift points (noticeably)...these things it did NOT do.

Old 08-07-2001, 03:25 AM
bparker
Melting Slicks

:eek:
Old 08-07-2001, 12:37 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I don't feel my expectations were high.

1st the product didn't deliver the advertised goods (tire size).
2nd the didn't deliver on refunding my shipping charges (which they stated they would).

All together I've lost $200 dollars for towing and shipping. I also still have to ship it back for a refund.

I had to push for a quick turnaround on my PCM which they did come though on and the phone support was good (they answered the phone).

My expectation would have been a product that delivered some performance but I didn't even get that far.

Screw them never again and any of MY cars.
:crazy: :smash:
Old 08-07-2001, 01:34 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear that Dan
:(

Speed-Racer

Get notified of new replies

To My Superchips experience, Never again!!!

Old 08-07-2001, 03:15 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post, great info. keeps me away from messing around with the PCM.

Does anybody has good experience with the superchip ?

Jochen
Old 08-07-2001, 07:53 PM
goldman
Pro

Default Re: My Superchips experience, Never again!!! (Jochen)

In all fairness... in spite of my problems & ddawson's problems...

Most people do not seem to have any problems.
Although people using Superchips do not seem to "rave" & brag about them as Powerloader users do.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:09 PM
Fabetoy
Racer

Thanks for the warning. I don't want to deal with any vendors that treat forum members in the way you have described. :mad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Superchips experience, Never again!!!