C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 09:59 PM
Bandit400
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions?

Hello all,

Anyone have any experience with Lingenfelters Head/Cam package for the LS1? They are quoting 430BHP with this mod. I see comparable packages from Vette Doctors and Cartek quoting anywhere from 380 to 415BHP. I am seriously looking into a power boost and this looks like the best bang for the buck mod. Looking for any opinions on doing this type of Mod. I am also concerned about breaking other stock parts such as Timing chain, stock clutch, tranny, etc. What else should be upgraded to handle this power bump. I was focusing on Lingenfelter as the installer because of their 2 year warranty and rep. Thanks.
:seeya

Bandit400
:cool::cool:
:cool: :cool:

[Modified by Bandit400, 7:59 PM 8/5/2001]

[Modified by Bandit400, 7:54 PM 8/7/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 10:30 PM
barron
Racer

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (Bandit400)

LPE's H/C package is referring to 430HP at the CRANK (~365HP at the rear wheels) where the other tuners are referring to rear wheel horsepower.

MTI H/C packages are putting out 420-435HP at the rear wheels (60-70HP more at the rear wheels). Check out the MTI RAT threads for dyno numbers.

Save your money and use MTI (who also has a 2/24 warranty). http://www.motorsporttech.com

Jonah
Old 08-05-2001, 10:45 PM
Bandit400
Instructor

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (barron)

The problem with MTI for me is that they are all the way in Texas and I am in NJ. Definately a problem getting the car their and back. If it true that LPE is quoting the power at the engine, their package seems weak. I will have to give LPE a call for an explanantion. :crazy:

BANDIT400
Old 08-05-2001, 11:21 PM
ZO6Bill
Racer

Bandit, If'n I was way up North I'd go check out ARE for their nice HP add-ons. :yesnod: Heads and cam or more....Bill
Old 08-06-2001, 12:32 AM
Mako
Drifting

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (ZO6Bill)

I would definitely use Vette Doctors if I was in NY or NJ. Just ask them to use a hot cam and an underdrive pulley and you will have the same results a a hot MTI package. VDs has an excellent reputation!
Old 08-06-2001, 03:35 AM
wave_3
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

LPE's numbers are at the crank... I was going to go with their package also until I found that out. I emailed them...

MTI will be getting my business this winter, as soon as the snow flies in Ohio my C5 will be going South for the winter. :D
Old 08-06-2001, 10:26 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (Mako)

Just ask them to use a hot cam and an underdrive pulley and you will have the same results a a hot MTI package
A hotcam? I don't think so. A "Hot" MTI package is 420-430 rwhp using the MTI cams (T1, B1, Hammer) and I don't think any hotcam equipped cars have come close. There aren't even any strong F-bodies running with the hotcam. Why? The ramps are too weak and the lift is too small. Probably giving up 15 rwhp minimum vs a T1 cam on a heads/cam car.

Tony
Old 08-06-2001, 05:02 PM
Miles in Michigan
Drifting

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (NineBall)

A hotcam? I don't think so. A "Hot" MTI package is 420-430 rwhp using the MTI cams (T1, B1, Hammer) and I don't think any hotcam equipped cars have come close.
I think he meant "hot" as in "more radical", or "lumpy", not the GM hotcam.

I've heard that Lingenfelter uses smaller cams to improve driveability, idle, etc. If so, it's not quite an apples-to-apples situation when you compare Lingenfelter's H+C to MTI's, because they had slightly different goals in mind.

Just my 0.02$.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:09 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (NineBall)

Nineball, Didnt your all-bore T1 cammed motor pass strict houston emissions testing? I was thinking you told me it did, and that is pretty cool for your power!

Old 08-06-2001, 07:39 PM
Mako
Drifting

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (Miles in Michigan)

Nineball: EXACTLY as Miles said! (I was NOT referring to any specific cam).

There is HUGE advantage to having a tuner that is local or semi-local. I have never dealt with Vette Doctors, but from what I have heard they are a class operation and put out a quality product. In this case, they seemed to be relatively close to the customer. Same quality rep. goes with DRM and LPE. Vette Doctors, DRM and LPE all use smaller cams that the RAT MOBILE III. However, they will use and design around a bigger cam if you request it (I know that DRM will).

My heads and cam and headers DRM Z06 has a baby cam with a 118LSA and no underdrive pulley, but has 1.8 rockers. If we went to 114LSA or 112LSA and an underdrive pulley, we should be right where the RAT is. However, for my tastes I am going with the C5R block 427 and all of that "wasted torque" and extra hp.

As has been discussed here before, speak with your tuner BEFORE cutting the deal to see what you want and in most cases you will find that they deliver!

Good luck and I am sure you will find the right fit!

BTW, for anyone thinking of headers, take a look at the DRMs. They come in 1 5/8" and in 1 3/4" are absolute objects d'art!
Old 08-06-2001, 07:51 PM

I have the LPE. top end package advertised at 420 hp. i dynoed 320 hp. when i talked to a salesman about it they said that was the normal.?shop around
Old 08-06-2001, 08:00 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions? (GORDON)

I have the LPE. top end package advertised at 420 hp. i dynoed 320 hp. when i talked to a salesman about it they said that was the normal.?shop around
Damn, I hope he didnt molest your wallet too bad... :eek:
That is simply appauling from a well known tuner. :(

[Modified by kewlbrz, 6:01 PM 8/6/2001]
Old 08-06-2001, 08:19 PM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

BANDIT400,

The best thing to do is drive out to Cartek and the Vette Doctor's speak to them and then make your selection. I think very highly of LPE, DRM and MTI and if I was located within 100 miles of them (and in the case of LPE and DRM a slightly larger budget) I may have to have all my work done there. However, I also live in NJ (Toms River) and feel there is a big advantage of having a tuner in the Tri-State area.

When you are evaluating your package, make sure you look at cost, compare apples to apples, reliability, warranttee, customer service and performance. You are not just buying a product over the internet you are starting a relationship :D.

Spend the time during the evaluation and then you make the call.

Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions on my set-up.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:21 PM
Bandit400
Instructor

Thanks all for your comments. I am going to check out the packages offered by Cartek and Vette Doctors. I cant belive anyone would invest 7K in the LPE package for the small increase in power, most likely they were not informed on the true power output. I am looking for power output like the Rat mobile. The package definately has to be smog legal. Another consideration is the warranty offered by the shop. I have not had the best of luck with the computer systems on the C5. I want to make sure the shop will work to get the whole setup working properly. Thanks.

Bandit400

[Modified by Bandit400, 7:25 PM 8/7/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions?

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter Heads/Cam Package Opinions?