C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, cam, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 05:35 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, cam, etc.

Its just a matter of when that I pull the trigger on 1oo shot TNT wet NO2 kit. My car has cartek stage II heads and cam, headers, etc. With my significant upperhalf engine mods will NO2 be more safe with my engine or is there extra risks giving my mods and close to 400 rwhp. Or is NO2 safer in basically stock LS1 without heads, cam etc. or does it make no difference.

Also, my biggest concern is not blowing up my engine with NO2 costing me thousands more than I've already spent and given this what other changes have to be made to be as safe as I can be with NO2 (other than all the NO2 safety bells and whistles) to insured the most reliability. i.e fuel pump upgrade, etc.

Thansk,

Nitrovette

Old 08-05-2001, 06:11 PM
Skeeter1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine

Nitrovette, I have gone through 40 bottles on my heads/cam car @ 150 hp shot, I did have a broken valve spring once. i have been told that your just pushing more hp (in our case 500+) through a basicly stock engine.
CRUZMISL
Safety Car

Well, I am no expert but if I had to I'd say................... the 100 shot would be safer on a stock car. I say this because with the H&C you are already making more power than the stocker. The H&C has added some stress to the bottom end and the 100 shot may push it over the edge. Lots are doing it though with no problems. I have a stock motor and I can't muster the b@lls to put it on my car............

Joe
Skeeter1
Drifting

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine

Nitrovette, I have gone through 40 bottles on my heads/cam car @ 150 hp shot, I did have a broken valve spring once. i have been told that your just pushing more hp (in our case 500+) through a basicly stock engine. :cheers:
Old 08-05-2001, 10:04 PM
robsvette
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

getting power hungry AGAIN!!! :D me too! going to 3:42's wed.!!!

you certainly have the right tranny to handle the power. i have also heard from many juice users that they have had no problems with good installers. i don't know any in your area but cartek has done many systems with no problems. costly but safe. :D

also i think our set-up would handle NOS better than a stock C5 due to better intake and exhaust
Old 08-05-2001, 11:30 PM
99 Hardtop
Racer

Default Re: (robsvette)

I have ran 142 bottles through my stock engine and no engine problems.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:35 PM
Slammed Vette
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I'd just start off with the 75 shot.The TNT kits are rated at rear wheel horse power.The others are crank HP.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:20 PM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, cam, etc.

Think about it logically.

On a stock motor, you add a 100 shot.

Your making about 400 rwhp which is roughly equal to a heads and cam setup.

Fundamentally an engine is an air pump. The faster you move air in, and out, the more power you make. The power is obviously created from the a/f mixutre forcing the piston down more violently.

So one could assume that the force pushing a piston down with heads/cam at 400rwhp is the same force when pushing the piston down with a 100 shot on a stock motor.

Not necessarily. Since RPM is a hugh factor in how and where power is developed, a heads cam setup will have less of a dramtic impact then shooting an equivalent amount of power in there with nitrous. The issue with engine failure when using nitrous comes most always at low rpm. At low RPM an engine is not pumping efficiently and that rapid shot of power from nitrous takes its toll on the slowly moving engine. With heads and cam, the power is developed more smoothly and cleanly.

Its somewhat anagolous to revving an engine at idle to 6000 RPM, or doing it smoothly under a load.

If I touch my my fist on your face with my arm cocked (heads/cam), and then thrust through you, Im gonna push you hard and down to the ground if your unaware, but Im probably not gonna hurt much. If I **** my arm and punch you from a distance (nitrous), your face is going to break from the shutter.

Now combine nitrous with heads and cam, and the initial force will not be that dramtically different than on a stock motor. Its all relative to rpm and how the engine is loaded. Nitrous on any motor setup gets safer as RPMs increase, and the load develops.

Now this is all my opinion, from what I have seen, and done. Take it or leave it. :jester

[Modified by kewlbrz, 9:28 PM 8/6/2001]
Old 08-07-2001, 12:17 AM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Nice post kewlbrz. I agree with you. Another good reason not to spray below 3000rpm and unless WOT.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:25 AM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: (Slammed Vette)

I agree with slammed vette about starting at a smaller shot and working your way up.

Regarding only TNT's hp to the rear wheels: My NX setup gives me the advertised hp based on the jets/pills chosen at the rear wheels also.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:50 AM
jetskifast
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be

Slammed Vette
NX kits are rated at rear wheels also.
NitroVette
If you are looking for safety. I would go with a N20 kit that allows you to mount solenoids in a cool spot. Solenoid failure is your major concern, and heat can cause solenoid failure with seals.
Also include RPM window switch and electronic activation switch for your install.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:06 AM
Big Carrot
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be (jetskifast)

NX is rear wheel also. Just like Jetskifast said.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:28 AM
cosmosm3
Instructor

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, (kewlbrz)

...If I touch my my fist on your face with my arm cocked (heads/cam), and then thrust through you, Im gonna push you hard and down to the ground if your unaware, but Im probably not gonna hurt much. If I **** my arm and punch you from a distance (nitrous), your face is going to break from the shutter....

Now that was funny. :cheers:
Old 08-07-2001, 01:54 AM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, (cosmosm3)

...If I touch my my fist on your face with my arm cocked (heads/cam), and then thrust through you, Im gonna push you hard and down to the ground if your unaware, but Im probably not gonna hurt much. If I **** my arm and punch you from a distance (nitrous), your face is going to break from the shutter....

Now that was funny. :cheers:
hehe... best I could think of this late at night :crazy: better go to bed now :sleep:
Old 08-07-2001, 11:40 AM
TimZ28
Instructor

Default Re: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, (kewlbrz)

Low RPMs all for more time to fill the cylinder completely. At 2000 RPMs you have all the time in the world for the nitrous to fill the cylinder where as at 6500 RPMs it has less than 1/3 the time... thus lower cylinder pressures on every stroke.

Tim

Get notified of new replies

To Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, cam, etc.

Quick Reply: Will 100 shot TNT NOS be more reliable on stock engine or with one with heads, cam, etc.