C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam: can it do any harm ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:22 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Seafoam: can it do any harm ??

I'm planning to do a tune up......plugs, wires and dyno ...... and want to make sure I don't have any carbon deposits. Basically want everything pristine for the dyno (mostly just getting A/F for WOT)

Only have 57K miles and relatively new heads. Can I hurt anything by doing the topend cleanout?? I heard something about fouling the O2 sensors.

DH
Old 01-06-2006, 03:11 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I'm planning to do a tune up......plugs, wires and dyno ...... and want to make sure I don't have any carbon deposits. Basically want everything pristine for the dyno (mostly just getting A/F for WOT)

Only have 57K miles and relatively new heads. Can I hurt anything by doing the topend cleanout?? I heard something about fouling the O2 sensors.

DH
I used Sea Form in my '97 and it worked GREAT!
Did not foul the O2 sensors or plugs.
I ran a can through and let it set overnight then took it out the next day to run it out until it stopped smoking.

But here is an e-mail I got from the company tell how to use it for the best results:

Everyone is right - it is a matter of preference.

I suggest - after the motor has been fogged ( semi-flooded) let it sit 5 - 10 minutes. ( The reason I would not let it sit 12 hours, is, that the motor would get cold, I think that the fogging job is better if it is a hot tank effect.

Fogging a motor should not effect the motor oil at all, different systems.

Yes, fogging a motor will get the plugs wet, BUT< they will dry themselves when you " Drive it like you stole it " when you clean out the system.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dale Lackore
National Sales Manager
Sea Foam Sales Company
(952)938-4811
d.lackore@seafoamsales.com

Last edited by SLPRC5; 01-06-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Seafoam is fine, but there is a better product.. although it is not legal in CA.
GM makes a Decarb solution. It was designed to handle the famous decarb issues found in many LS1/6 engines, It a top end engine cleaner.
You will be fine with Seafoam.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:27 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Seafoam is fine, but there is a better product.. although it is not legal in CA.
GM makes a Decarb solution. It was designed to handle the famous decarb issues found in many LS1/6 engines, It a top end engine cleaner.
You will be fine with Seafoam.
I have been told it is the same product, chemically. I have used it in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but only in the fuel tank as an additive, thus cleaning the injectors, as well. Personally, I am somewhat leery of using any product which may "break loose any deposits of any kind "all at once", or at least real quick, in larger chunks. Carbon is extremely hard, as it is carbon molecules being forced into alignment, which is what makes steel harden when carborized and heat treated. I am somewhat fearful of scoring a cylinder if all the carbon were to break loose quickly, rather than dissolving it slowly by adding it to the fuel. Just my .02, but the Jeep is at 276,000 miles now (318 V-8), and all original, including the injectors, too, so I must be doing something right! It is a great product, and I use it monthly. Original 02 sensor, as well!!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Evil: as I am in california I will use Seafoam. What do you think of the comments from the other members???

Rusty: seems that 5-10 minutes is not going to disolve carbon deposits that have been on my piston heads for almost 60K miles

Grinder: seems like a logical point but I hope GM and others already thought of that and that it is safe

DH
Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grinder11
I have been told it is the same product, chemically. I have used it in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but only in the fuel tank as an additive, thus cleaning the injectors, as well. Personally, I am somewhat leery of using any product which may "break loose any deposits of any kind "all at once", or at least real quick, in larger chunks. Carbon is extremely hard, as it is carbon molecules being forced into alignment, which is what makes steel harden when carborized and heat treated. I am somewhat fearful of scoring a cylinder if all the carbon were to break loose quickly, rather than dissolving it slowly by adding it to the fuel. Just my .02, but the Jeep is at 276,000 miles now (318 V-8), and all original, including the injectors, too, so I must be doing something right! It is a great product, and I use it monthly. Original 02 sensor, as well!!
My wife has a '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee same engine with 79K on it and I plan to pour a can down the PCV port, then change plugs and PCV valve to get ready for a CA smog test. Tell me did it improve your gas milage?
Thanks,
Rsty

Last edited by SLPRC5; 01-10-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:23 AM
jers98vet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only use 1/2 can at a time. Dont pour it in too fast. I used my boost gauge vacuum line to draw it into the intake. Let it sit overnight then blow it out. Repeat as necessary until no kr is recorded.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

How soon after blowing out all the Seafoam and carbon crap are you supposed to do the oil change?????

And is TWO can the correct amount?????

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 01-07-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RstyNutz
I used Sea Form in my '97 and it worked GREAT!
Did not foul the O2 sensors or plugs.
I ran a can through and let it set overnight then took it out the next day to run it out until it stopped smoking.

But here is an e-mail I got from the company tell how to use it for the best results:

Everyone is right - it is a matter of preference.

I suggest - after the motor has been fogged ( semi-flooded) let it sit 5 - 10 minutes. ( The reason I would not let it sit 12 hours, is, that the motor would get cold, I think that the fogging job is better if it is a hot tank effect.

Yes, fogging a motor will get the plugs wet, BUT< they will dry themselves when you " Drive it like you stole it " when you clean out the system.

Dale Lackore
National Sales Manager
Sea Foam Sales Company
(952)938-4811
Rusty:

I don't see any e-mail ???

DH
Old 01-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Well I bought 2 cans of SeaFoam !!!

Can says:
To use 1/2 can (.5 pts)....thru intake manifold
In WARM engine
Turn off engine
Restart in 5 MINUTES !!!

Why is this so different than the tech instructions for the GM topend cleaner:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=212&TopicID=1

DH
Old 01-08-2006, 08:43 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Evil: as I am in california I will use Seafoam. What do you think of the comments from the other members???

Rusty: seems that 5-10 minutes is not going to disolve carbon deposits that have been on my piston heads for almost 60K miles

Grinder: seems like a logical point but I hope GM and others already thought of that and that it is safe

DH
They have, that is why the instructions don't recommend "sucking it up your PCV hose"!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:02 PM
BrentH
Instructor

FWIW, I have always used Amsoil Powerfoam, and it seems to do a pretty good job.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Lovin It!!! - C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

SeaFoamed mine yesterday. Changed the oil and plugs today after running the carbon out of it. Runs very smoothly now. I also added a 1/2 can to the oil last week and then drove it a couple hundred miles. That annoying ticking on start-up is now gone! It's nice not to hear it anymore.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lovin It!!! - C5
SeaFoamed mine yesterday. Changed the oil and plugs today after running the carbon out of it. Runs very smoothly now. I also added a 1/2 can to the oil last week and then drove it a couple hundred miles. That annoying ticking on start-up is now gone! It's nice not to hear it anymore.
How much did you use.
How long did you leave it in.

DH
Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentH
FWIW, I have always used Amsoil Powerfoam, and it seems to do a pretty good job.
Thanks for the mention.
AMSOIL Power Foam Engine Cleaner and Degreaser

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Lovin It!!! - C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Bought two cans. Put a 1/2 can in the oil. Drove all week (about 150 miles). Yesterday evening I poured the rest (1 1/2 cans) into the PCV port on the throttle body and let it sit until about 10:30 today.

It worked great for me. Had heard others say they got rid of the infamous "piston slap" sound by using it in the oil, so I tried it. VERY happy with the results.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what my pistons looked like at exactly 57,000 miles:

This is after I cleaned them by hand:

Get notified of new replies

To Seafoam: can it do any harm ??

Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Lovin It!!! - C5
Bought two cans. Put a 1/2 can in the oil. Drove all week (about 150 miles). Yesterday evening I poured the rest (1 1/2 cans) into the PCV port on the throttle body and let it sit until about 10:30 today.

It worked great for me. Had heard others say they got rid of the infamous "piston slap" sound by using it in the oil, so I tried it. VERY happy with the results.
You mean PCV port on the INTAKE manafold.....

DH
Old 01-09-2006, 12:53 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cbx1047cc
This is what my pistons looked like at exactly 57,000 miles:

This is after I cleaned them by hand:
That looks like NEW.....great job
What did you use....how long did it take??

I know mine look like that too..........I am hoping the Seafoam thru the Intake Manafold and foging is going to get rid of most of it......but somehow I don't think the results will be anything like what you did!!!!

DH
Old 01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Rusty:

I don't see any e-mail ???

DH
The e-mail is there in the body of my thread
Here is the cut and paste of it.

"Everyone is right - it is a matter of preference.

Yes, fogging a motor will get the plugs wet, BUT< they will dry themselves when you " Drive it like you stole it " when you clean out the system."

Dale Lackore
National Sales Manager
Sea Foam Sales Company
(952)938-4811

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by SLPRC5; 01-09-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Seafoam: can it do any harm ??