C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster or Dynomax

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 PM
Bud2000
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster or Dynomax

Has anyone tried Flowmasters or Dynomax Super Turbos or Dynomax Ultraflows on a C5? Resonance/loudness comparisons. How about ease of installation.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, dynomax is only 2.25" at the muffler. Not that there is a big gain by changing the mufflers on these cars, but I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking for any sort of gain. And flowmasters aren't known to be a good flowing muffler.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Bud2000
Has anyone tried Flowmasters or Dynomax Super Turbos or Dynomax Ultraflows on a C5? Resonance/loudness comparisons. How about ease of installation.
Neither brand is good a C5. It's not a Mustang. I've heard both in person on a C5
Old 01-04-2006, 08:32 PM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Face
IIRC, dynomax is only 2.25" at the muffler. Not that there is a big gain by changing the mufflers on these cars, but I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking for any sort of gain. And flowmasters aren't known to be a good flowing muffler.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the Flowmasters on my C4's back in the early nineties. Thankfully, newer technology, and, a wider range of C5 specific competitive exhaust products have long since been developed. Look into the Corsa's, Magnaflow's, Borla's, and, for an even more aggressive exhaust note, the B&B's, etc. Good luck to you.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had both Flowmasters and Dynomax on my C5 and neither was much louder than stock mufflers.

Also, the Dynomax mufflers are Ultra Flow not Super Turbo. Very quiet in comparison. They don't make a Super Turbo for the C5.

You'd have to have 2 F-body Super Turbos modified (weld the end with the single opening shut). Also, I was not impressed with the tips that were welded on either muffler. Small, round openings (I didn't want the Flowmasters with the double D tips) thin wall chrome plated.

cc
Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Neither brand is good a C5. It's not a Mustang. I've heard both in person on a C5
waste of money for a c5. GHL magnum plus series are awesome! sounds perfect, not too loud, not too quiet, and best of all zero resonance!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikester
waste of money for a c5. GHL magnum plus series are awesome! sounds perfect, not too loud, not too quiet, and best of all zero resonance!
with the GHL's
Old 01-05-2006, 09:41 AM
jcocke
Advanced

I've got the Flowmasters on my car, though they were there when I purchased the car. I am switching to B&B Bullets b/c I'm not a fan of the Flowmaster sound, plus I hate the tips that came on the mufflers (the Double-Ds). They are louder than stock, though definitely not too loud. They also have a resonance around 2500 RPM but thats easily avoidable if it really bothers you. The sound really good at WOT with a nice, muscular gurgle at idle (like all Flowmasters). I can't speak for performance, though I will be on the dyno next weekend for a baseline. Some people on here really LOVE Flowmasters. It is of very nice quality and is assembled like a stock system. It also came with the over-axle tubes.

I wouldn't call them a waste of money at all if thats the sound you are looking for. If its all out HP gains you are looking for, I'd look into something else.

Mine will be coming up for sale in a couple of weeks when I get my B&Bs, PM me if interested.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by CCrane00
I have had both Flowmasters and Dynomax on my C5 and neither was much louder than stock mufflers.

Also, the Dynomax mufflers are Ultra Flow not Super Turbo. Very quiet in comparison.

cc
I had the Dynomax and had to do the A&A Mod to get any sound. Put on Borlas and love 'em.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 AM
allmee
Racer

I have always heard that Flowmasters were great mufflers, regardless of what vehicle they were on. All the racers use them, which should tell you something. I have them on my C5 and they sound good. A little rumble and a little loudness, but not much. And no resonance at all. I honestly would love a "loud as hell " system, but you have to live with that sound all the time, and that could get rough!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:12 PM
BuffC5
Advanced

I went with Random Tech. The set-up is perfect. Nice mid-range and top end. PM me if you want more details on it.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by allmee
I have always heard that Flowmasters were great mufflers, regardless of what vehicle they were on.
I don't know of any racers who use them besides people who race mustangs.
Seriously though, if you're talking about the pros, the mufflers they use and the flowmasters that fit our application, are two totally designs.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Bud2000
Cruising

Default Flowmaster or Dynomax

Thanks for all the info. Deciding on a muffler setup is turning into a real project. I would really like something real loud but also need a setup my wife will tolerate on long trips. Maybe cutouts are the answer.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Bud2000
Cruising

Unfamiliar with Random Tech setup would like more info. Thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 10:38 PM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Flowmasters on for about a year and although they aren't the loudest system out there by any means I like the sound and there isn't any resonance. I have quad tips which are nicely done, not the double D's. I wouldn't get too caught up in the hype over brand name systems though. Go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to various systems then make up your own mind.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:21 AM
Z06Plasticfantastic
Instructor

I have the Flowmaster 80s with the round tips, over the axle 2 5/8" tubes hooked up to a set of LG long tubes with the hi flow cats and x pipe. Combined with AFR's, mild cam, Katech tb, Blackwing and Denso IT 20's the car hauls *** and sounds bad ***. Loud, ah yes, resonance a little, but nothing compared to my buddy's stingers onm a similar set up which are a cop magnet.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:21 AM
c5vette_dallas
Burning Brakes

i say go with borla!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Flowmaster or Dynomax

Quick Reply: Flowmaster or Dynomax