C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel guage drops to empty.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:56 AM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Fuel guage drops to empty.

Driving for about an hour and a half when my fuel needle dropped to empty from almost a half a tank. The check guages light lit up and I pulled over knowing that I didn't need fuel but got about $10.00. about 4Gallons. Got in reset everything still remained at empty and check guages light remained on. About 15 minutes later started working again and check Guageslight went out. Fuse or Sending unit?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 AM
jprietto
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default common problem

I had the same problem with my 2001 and read on this forum about many others. Some have had parts replaced under warranty by dealers and later had the problem re occur . Someone advised using only good quality fuel from major companies and that has worked for me. I use only Chevron and the problem has not hit me since. This sounds silly and I understand that service stations might sometimes get the same fuel but it has worked for me so I'm sticking to it.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:18 AM
diviniti
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

It happens to me also, I just drive to where ever I am going, turn the key off, let it sit for a few seconds, turn it back on, and its back to normal.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:48 AM
JeepTJ
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by diviniti
It happens to me also, I just drive to where ever I am going, turn the key off, let it sit for a few seconds, turn it back on, and its back to normal.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
chriskaw7r
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightmel
Driving for about an hour and a half when my fuel needle dropped to empty from almost a half a tank. The check guages light lit up and I pulled over knowing that I didn't need fuel but got about $10.00. about 4Gallons. Got in reset everything still remained at empty and check guages light remained on. About 15 minutes later started working again and check Guageslight went out. Fuse or Sending unit?
Mine did the exact same thing. I replaced my Driver side sending unit myself in my 97. It cost me about $30 and took about 2 hours. Its worked flawless since.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
MonteHall
Team Owner

Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Donor '03 & '06

yep, it'll do that.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
nightmel
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the input. I will let it ride and try some TECHRON in the tank and go from there.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:34 PM
PaPaChoc
Racer

Thanks for the input. I will let it ride and try some TECHRON in the tank and go from there.
I had it happen several times until I started using Chevron exclusively! No problems since! Knock, Knock, Knock, on wood that is!
Old 01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
dpd
Drifting

Originally Posted by PaPaChoc
I had it happen several times until I started using Chevron exclusively! No problems since! Knock, Knock, Knock, on wood that is!

chevron already has the techron blended into their fuel.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:29 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This is a VERY common problem on c5's. Usually it is the drivers side fuel module that is giving a bad reading. We replace lot's of these at my work. If you have an extended warranty it is probably covered. You can do it yourself, but I would recommend letting the dealer or good shop do it. (unless you enjoy dropping your fuel tank)
Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is the solution Chevron gas with TECHRON
Old 01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
stano
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RstyNutz
I always used Chevron gas exclusively until it happened to me several times. Switched to Shell V Power and not an issue anymore. (55,000 miles on my '04 Z )
A bottle of Techron will work though.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:31 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

There are lterally thousands of posts on this topic....
It should be a sticky....
There are two fundamental causes
1. a fouled or bad fuel sending unit
2. a bad ground

As mentioned previously poor quality gas is the #1 reported casue of this problem . Gas with inferior or too low a contnet of detergents when combined with higher sulfur levels can foul the sending unit.
High quality fuels ( see www.toptierfuel.com) don't do this.
Some post treat their gas with Techron to avoid the problem, but buying a quality gas and skipping the post ad additive is way cheaper....
Berryman's at Walmart is one of the cheapest but at ~ $3/can that is 15 cents per gallon treatment cost per tankful.

The easiest fix is to treat your gas for a few tankfuls with a strong fuel system cleaner like techron... but Berryman B-12 and Seafoam are also cited and I'm sure that others like Valvoline synpower fule system cleaner or any of the recognizable brand synthetic detergent fuel system additives will work.

The next easiest is to look for a corroded ground connection. There are a number of posts with pics showing how to find this.

The expensive route is to replace one or both of the fule sending units.

Good Luck
rich
Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
chriskaw7r
Pro

The sending units are not that expensive to replace yourself around $30 each. So if you have a really bad unit just replace and stop dumping stuff in your tank as a bandaid. Money out the window in my veiw. I see it as a hard component failure and the only true fix is replacement not some snake oil. Not sure about other years than a 97 but I did mine with the tank left in the car and just removed the sending unit from the car after I removed the rear wheel. The only issue was clearing the tank shield. Buy the way I always used Shell and good gas. Some places dont have Chevron gas. Just run your gas down to the reserve fuel warning and get an oil pan and place under the rear tank.

Last edited by chriskaw7r; 01-04-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:38 AM
edensknight
Race Director

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
This is a VERY common problem on c5's. Usually it is the drivers side fuel module that is giving a bad reading. We replace lot's of these at my work. If you have an extended warranty it is probably covered. You can do it yourself, but I would recommend letting the dealer or good shop do it. (unless you enjoy dropping your fuel tank)
Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 AM
Shane_S
Drifting

Originally Posted by RstyNutz

I started using Chevron gas after running through 2 bottles of techron on 2 of 5 tanks within a month period. I had a problem with my gauge sticking on full.

Shane
Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 AM
JACK EPPERSON
Advanced

I HAVE 98 AND MIND DID THE SAME THING. I JUST KEEP ON DRIVING AND IT WENT BACK WORKING. IT DID IT A COUPEL OF TIMES, BUT ALWAYS STARTED WORKING AGAIN.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel guage drops to empty.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Orbit
Advanced

Default Fuel Gauge drops to empty

This has happened to me 2 times. In September 2002 once I hit 1/2 tank the gauge would drop to empty. A sending unit replaced. November 2002 the same problem again. Replaced the other Fuel Level Sender. It has worked perfect since that time and I don't put any special gas in it. The sending units are the cheapest GM could find. I hear on this forum it has to do with the gas, but why don't other cars have the same problem if it is with the gasolene? Cheap parts! Other automobile manufacturers build products to work with all types of gasoline!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:40 PM
ljkuntz
Intermediate

Default fuel guage problem

had same issue used redline fuel treatment solved problem use every 2 months no more problem hope this helps
Old 02-13-2006, 06:09 PM
kdub1
Racer

Default Gm Tsb

The cause is high sulphur content in some fuels. Here's what GM says about it:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=483

Last edited by kdub1; 02-13-2006 at 06:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply: Fuel guage drops to empty.