C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service "Trac control" & "Active handling" need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:38 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

djstylze

You have a 2001 so your EBTCM ground is on Chassis ground G-101. Disassemble that ground and clean it up to see if that will resolve the issue.
BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 11-14-2005 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by djstylze
I can not belive the sheer number of people with this problem. I am so aggravated at this point! Its not even a part that wears, its just plain CRAP.

ARRRRGH!

djstylze

What code are you getting?? Most DTC related to the EBTCM and brake system show up after you are driving the car. I would check all of the battery stuff just to make sure that your 100% in that area but I would suspect that you have a loose or bad connection. Give me a rundown on you issue.

BC
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 PM
masterchiefbt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just food for thought....I read Bill Curlee's response and he is right on! My 01 FRC was doing the same thing as you say and at no specific event seemed to trigger and low and behold I started my 01, went to my son's football practice went to go home and the battery was dead...dead...dead.. No warning other than the symptoms you had. replaced the battery with a NAPA Legend series Gold and I have not had one fault since! The stealer will tell you everything but to replace the battery as they can soak GM for GMPP repairs but Bill is right here I think that is just as simple as a bad battery. As I have been reading and finding out thru my expierences that battery voltage is the most important system to the Vette. Compare the CCA's of the stock DELCO to a Redtop or any other battery and you will see a huge "delta" in CCA. I say with any battery for any application that more is better. Why do you suppose GM doesn't? Also when my Vette died, I tried to jump with a Mustang and the electrical pull of starting the Vette was more than the Stang could jump. Had to go back to the house and get the pickup with heavy duty alternator to roll the 5.7. That is why I say more battery is better... good luck
Old 11-14-2005, 08:02 PM
djstylze
Instructor

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I'm in Washington on travel for work, but I've been trying to do as much research before I get back home this week. I'll grab all the codes as soon as I can.

side note: I did change that wire harness that runs along the driver side fender to the brake module.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

Default To the Dealer I go, Act. Handl & Trac. Contrl

Brought her in Monday night for check up, dealer worked all day Tuesday with no avail! Waiting to hear something today, I'll keep everyone posted.
Thanks
Old 11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
djstylze
Instructor

Bill,

I checked the codes and TCS says "no communication".

I forgot to mention that this problem occurred immediately after I had a cam installed by MTI in Houston. I can't help but wonder if those events are related. I spoke with MTI afterwards and they were no help. I plan on pursuing further conversations with them upon discovery of the answer with this.

Please help..

Last edited by djstylze; 11-16-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:15 PM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

Default LUCKY regarding act handl & trac cntrl

Just heard from dealer! PCM module bad, fortunately this carries a 8/80 GM warranty!!!! Every once in a while you get lucky
ttt
Old 11-18-2005, 12:48 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by djstylze
Bill,

I checked the codes and TCS says "no communication".

I forgot to mention that this problem occurred immediately after I had a cam installed by MTI in Houston. I can't help but wonder if those events are related. I spoke with MTI afterwards and they were no help. I plan on pursuing further conversations with them upon discovery of the answer with this.

Please help..
The EBTCM is located directly above the power steering rack and they could have unpluged the EBTCM to get the harness out of the way. The plug is inserted and removed via a cam operated device and there is a small plastic security pin that keep the cam lever secured. Remove the pin, retract the plug and inspect the pins inside the EBTCM. Make sure none of them are bent and that the plug is clean and in good condition. Reconnect the EBTCM plug via the cam and secure it with the pin. See if that helps!

BC
Old 11-18-2005, 02:22 PM
djstylze
Instructor

Thank you for the great advice Bill!
I have to admit I'm not exactly certain what I'm looking at while I'm down there. Can you take a picture of the plug I'd be disconnecting? If you can't its no problem, I'll try and find it.

I saw one of your other posts with the pictures of the ground and that will help me immensly! I've got this weekend to work on it so come Saturday I am going to figure it out one way or another.

Per your advice:
Battery check at auto zone
Ground cleaning
Plug on EBCM

Bill, you make this forum a wonderful place!!!
Old 11-19-2005, 01:31 PM
djstylze
Instructor

Got the battery tested. Under load it hit 10.7 and stayed around 12 regularly.. after the test it said battery tested ok, but low voltage.

Your post said anything under 10.5, but is 10.7 an issue? I'm going to look into the other problems today and they said it takes 8 hours to slow charge an Optima battery. I'll leave it with them tomorrow...

Thanks guys!!

Edit: I forgot to mention I get several U-series codes. I'm about to just go buy a brand new battery just for the sake of it. Now they're all history codes, but I think it related to battery issue as Bill said.

Update: Checked the codes this morning and got several TCS codes:
C1225 C1226 C1248 C1254 C1277

I'm willing to gamble on a new battery at this point and go from there.

Sorry for the drama.. I want this fixed today!

Last edited by djstylze; 11-19-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:39 AM
djstylze
Instructor

Put in a new optima red top battery.. no luck, the lights came back and TCS "no comm" code. Got to frustrated and threw the car back in the garage. tommorrow I'll clean the ground..

I can't seem to find the EBTCM.. I saw a black box on the other side of the abs module (silver). is that it?

This is what I'm assuming is the ground wire for it. I'll clean it tomorrow..
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=fwkio8

Last edited by djstylze; 11-20-2005 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:59 AM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

YES! That is the ground, actually it is the eye loop under that larger black plastic type piece on top of it. I was unsuccessful after cleaning that ground as you know. Good luck!
ken

Quick Reply: Service "Trac control" & "Active handling" need help please!