C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.....request for help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 08:34 PM
AlanN
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.....request for help

I am toying with the idea of putting a synthetic fluid in my MN6. I do not have the equipment or skills. Anyone in Tidewater, Va. willing to donate their skills/tools so I don't have to go to the dealer? :o
Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Alan,
Sorry I missed this post. I was actually in Norfolk for a three day course last week and had several cases of AMSOIL ATF with me. Oh well.

Changing the tranny fluid in the MN6 is actually pretty easy if you can get the car up on Rhino Ramps. Fill plug on driver's side about halfway forward and 2/3 the way up (temp probe plugs into fill plug). Drain plug is lower rear corner on passenger side where the tranny meets the diff. Takes about 3.75 quarts.

One of these comes in handy:
AMSOIL Hand Pump

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 PM
AlanN
Pro

Thanks for the post! You on active duty? I retired from the Navy in 1993. Was a Corpsman. Spent alot of my career with the Marines.

Alan
Old 10-13-2005, 05:00 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Its actually an easy job, but can be messy. The right tools are key, and most of all the ability to safely get under the car. I put one end on ramps and then jack up the other end and block the crossmember so the car is tipped slightly back for the draining part and level for the fill.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:53 AM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by AlanN
Thanks for the post! You on active duty? I retired from the Navy in 1993. Was a Corpsman. Spent alot of my career with the Marines.

Alan
Alan,
Yep, still on active duty. 18 years and counting at this point. Just rolling back onto sea duty now. Was in Norfolk as part of a long training pipeline enroute to my next assignment.

Last Corpsman I served with on subs also had spent a lot of time with the Marines. Very knowledgeable and experienced guy.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:55 PM
masterchiefbt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see us Navy guys can have a little Vette fun too. 25 years and counting but planning on going out next year. Take it easy
Old 10-13-2005, 08:06 PM
AlanN
Pro

Thanks Master Chief. I retired as an HMC. Have to admit I do miss it at times. Loved the USMC side of the house.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:47 PM
C66 Racing

Originally Posted by masterchiefbt
Good to see us Navy guys can have a little Vette fun too. 25 years and counting but planning on going out next year. Take it easy
I actually think that if you looked at the ratio of military members who own vettes to the ratio of the population at large who own vettes, you'd find the former higher. I see so many vettes on the bases I've been attached to.

Congrats on 25 years. Enjoy your retirement next year.

Get notified of new replies

To Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.....request for help

Quick Reply: Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.....request for help