C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all of those afraid of hydro-lock with an intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 12:12 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 09-21-2005, 12:27 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

may not be that bad(other than bad flywheel or starter teeth); i see water in smallblocks all the time(marine mech.)sometimes you get lucky and can pull the plugs while turning over the pump the water out, the key is to get to them quickly before the rings rust, all the jet-ski's have a 'blow-off' valve for the cyl for this problem
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
itsmeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I'd sure like to hear more about this bypass valve - I went to Breathless' shop and asked them about this and they told me just don't drive in water! Easier said than done here in hurricane alley.

Do you have a link?
http://www.hirevimports.com/zoomprod.php?id=AEM20-402sb

same kind of thing used in boats and jetskis....just mod it to work w/your cai.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by itsmeek
http://www.hirevimports.com/zoomprod.php?id=AEM20-402sb

same kind of thing used in boats and jetskis....just mod it to work w/your cai.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you go thrashing through 6-7 in of standing water is a stock intake you stand a great chance of hydrolocking. The Zone reps I have talked to say the vast majority of the hydro lock problems are stock intakes--yes they look to see if it was a vararam at one time or the shroud is cut...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:14 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks a big one........literally. I hope you didn't damage the internals. And thanks for giving us all the warning about this problem.
I think they need to change the name from the Callaway Honker to the Callaway HOOVER.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Hope it turns out not to be too bad.

Hopefully your wife will be too scared to ever even think of driving YOUR vette.

I have over 40K with my Haltech Trap and I drive it ALL the time no matter how hard it rains...and last year in So Cal it RAINED!!!!

I do cover my Z06 screens with duct tape so no water can directly splash on the filter head which sits behind the front licence area. I drive slow thru puddles and my car is low. I also drive easy...low rpm...so not to create unneccessary SUCKING

DH
Old 09-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Have a Donaldson with a cutout and hydrolocked my engine last year. Ended up gettig a Z06 engine, new heads, and cam out of it...so I guess you could say I came out ahead!

Good luck with the repairs. The hardest part was waiting to get all the work done.

Matt
Old 09-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Sorry to hear about that, hope all works out in the end!

Darion

Old 09-21-2005, 07:42 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by sxe60
Hopefully, she wasn't going very fast and it didn't bend any rods. Pull the plugs and see if it will spin freely. Make sure the intake is dry. Good LucK.
As soon as possible!!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Richie Carbone
Now you can blame her for you having to buy a 427 C5R.

Good luck.
Well, the C5R would not be worth the money to me (this is my DD: I have an '86 that is my weekend toy) But I am figuring that IF pulling the plugs doesn't fix the problem, I might as well just use this as an excuse to swap a forged rotating assembly into it. - depending on the amount of dammage elsewhere, I might just do a short-block swap.

Either way, thanks to all for the idea of pulling the plugs. I should have thought of that myself.... I guess I was "cought up in the moment"

And Yes, she is much more upset about this than I am.

As far as not letting her drive..... Well, she is the same wife that OK'ed me buying a second vette, so I guess she had a "mulligan" stored up.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:59 PM
IFLUBYU
Drifting

My condolences, that sucks!

I'd trade 'er in if I were you.

Then go work on your vette... :
Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozzy_Bear
Well, I have had the Callaway Honker installed for a few weeks and tonight my wife decides she was going to borrow the vette to go to the gym while I have her sedan at Home Depot getting stuff for the house. It's the first time she has ever borrowed it - we have only had it 60 days.

While she was there it started to rain heavily and one of the intersections on the way home had a dip with about 6-7 inches of water. Well, she didn't know any better and she went into the intersection.

Bulrp.

Then a horrible screatching sound when she tried to start it.

So out came the cell phone and I went to pick her up (in a pouring rain).

When I go there, some neighbors were helping her push it out of the intersection. I walked up and she said, " it just makes a screatching sound" and before I could stop her she turned te key again and I heard the starter motor gear shread.

I'm figuring, "Scratch one LS-1."

I had it towed to a friends house (where we will have a better look in his garage tomorrow)

But I digress. The point is; It IS easy to hydro-lock your motor with a "bottom-feeder" intake. I had heard about it, but I figured, I'd just drive my jeep if it was going to be raining heavy. I just hadn't got around to telling the wife yet.
Dude I really feel for you.... Sucks... But seriously... Hydrolock is not a common event. The odds are like getting hit by lightning..

You have a better odds of Crashing your vette or being crashed into than having a hydrolock...But that does not stop folks from driving...

It's a chance you take... I'd need to Bury my complete nose to fill my Vararam with water....
Old 09-21-2005, 09:26 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Fozzy_Bear
Well, I have had the Callaway Honker installed for a few weeks and tonight my wife decides she was going to borrow the vette to go to the gym while I have her sedan at Home Depot getting stuff for the house. It's the first time she has ever borrowed it - we have only had it 60 days.

While she was there it started to rain heavily and one of the intersections on the way home had a dip with about 6-7 inches of water. Well, she didn't know any better and she went into the intersection.

Bulrp.

Then a horrible screatching sound when she tried to start it.

So out came the cell phone and I went to pick her up (in a pouring rain).

When I go there, some neighbors were helping her push it out of the intersection. I walked up and she said, " it just makes a screatching sound" and before I could stop her she turned te key again and I heard the starter motor gear shread.

I'm figuring, "Scratch one LS-1."

I had it towed to a friends house (where we will have a better look in his garage tomorrow)

But I digress. The point is; It IS easy to hydro-lock your motor with a "bottom-feeder" intake. I had heard about it, but I figured, I'd just drive my jeep if it was going to be raining heavy. I just hadn't got around to telling the wife yet.

Man, I am so sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best with the repairs.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:29 PM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

The odds are long but it's easy enough to do. I hydro locked a crown vic squad car in about 6 to 8 inches of water once and it wasnt easy but I did it, so I imagine a vette is much easier.

My wife is "allowed" to drive my vette but since I have a clutch thats a bit stiffer than stock and an exhaust that sounds like NASCAR when your going thru the gears she usually (99%) opts for her Tahoe.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:55 AM
itsmeek
Pro

has anyone else noticed that most of the posts in reply to this have to do w/guys blackballing their wives from driving their cars.

hahahahahaha....i'm roflmao.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:13 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

PUt stock radiator shroud in...Stock Air filter...

Get notified of new replies

To To all of those afraid of hydro-lock with an intake

Old 09-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by itsmeek
has anyone else noticed that most of the posts in reply to this have to do w/guys blackballing their wives from driving their cars.

hahahahahaha....i'm roflmao.

I have, and I'm thinking that my wife drives my Vette whenever she wants (I don't care) . The guy should be happy that some other idiot did not plow into the car, engine work is easier to get right than body work.

427 time
Old 09-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Heretic
The guy should be happy that some other idiot did not plow into the car

But even body dammage would not have been THAT bad.
Nodbody was harmed. Nor was anything in my llist of my top 10 priorities in life.
Sure, the motor in one of my corvettes was dammaged. Sure, it was even my nicest one. But hey, lets keep this in perspective.

As a few people have said, it might just be a chance to upgrade anyway.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:52 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
PUt stock radiator shroud in...Stock Air filter...
And then what?

Quick Reply: To all of those afraid of hydro-lock with an intake