C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 leaking trans fluid dealership says porous casing.. WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:21 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Default A4 leaking trans fluid dealership says porous casing.. WTF?

I had a rebuilt trans installed last winter by the dealership under warranty. I noticed a minor trans leak (under the car on the garage floor) a few weeks ago. Dealer replaced the pan seal gasket. No luck.. Took it back today and they said the trans casing is porous. A new trans will be installed Wednesday at no charge. Does this sound right??? A porous transmission casing?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

There could be an air bubble or flaw in case when it was casted. I have never heard of this, but hey, your getting a new transmission!
Old 09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default porous aluminum

I had a sand casting hole in the left side diff cover.. I thought it was the famous left diff seal leak and told the Mgr at the Chevy dealership about it. They pulled the cover and found the casting hole near the top. It is unusual to have one in the tranny case but well within the realm of beliveability. Hope they got it fixed for you.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,696 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I used to make diecastings for a living.

We jokingly referred to them as porosity (small air bubbles) surrounded by aluminum! All castings have porosity in them, it's just when that porosity is chained together that it causes an issue. The casting should have been pressure tested to assure it didn't leak so it probably missed that step in the rebuild process. There is a process called impregnation that can seal minor porosity with an anaerobic material.

Last edited by BadAV; 09-12-2005 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I have seen a handful of these. Its pretty rare but possible.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

NEW TRANNY....

I think my wifes casing is leaking......maybe I can get a new wife

DH
Old 09-12-2005, 08:08 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can do that Howie but it will cost you big bucks
Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Mike04
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RoHo

BIG $$$$
Old 09-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by RoHo

Thanks...I already figured that

DH
Old 09-13-2005, 07:59 PM
aquaholic
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a hole in the casting makes sense but if your dealer is telling you that the metal is porus enough to leak fluid through it i'd look for another dealer. this guy is obviously damaged.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:09 PM
David426
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aquaholic
a hole in the casting makes sense but if your dealer is telling you that the metal is porus enough to leak fluid through it i'd look for another dealer. this guy is obviously damaged.
Ithought the same exact thing at first. I read BadAV's reply and hopefully that is the explanation that I want to believe
Old 09-13-2005, 09:31 PM
mwagne16
Racer

Originally Posted by aquaholic
Not porus like a sponge, but small pot holes where the seal would be. The porosite would be like holes in swiss cheese. When it's cut, you could end up with tiny craters at the surface. If this is where the seal sits, hello leaks. It's common in aluminum castings, but can be controlled pretty good. Usually.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:00 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Mwagne16 is correct that the porosity can be in the sealing surface but this would typically only be exposed if the casting surface had been machined. Machined sealing surfaces with porosity are a definite no-no!

All castings also have some amount of porosity dispersed throughout the casting. The better the metal preparation process, die design, and better controlled the casting process is, the less porosity the casting has.

The company I worked for manufactured, machined, assembled, and tested oil & fuel filter housings, valve covers, and fuel priming pumps for Caterpillar engines.

Air leaks, especially small ones, are very common when pressure testing castings. This doesn't mean the casting will leak fuel or oil but is a good indication that the casting could potentially leak. First-time capability in our process was typically about 90% with no leaks. The leaking castings were impregnated and retested, typically with another 5% passing pressure test the second time around. The remaining castings were scrapped and remelted.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:30 PM
mwagne16
Racer

Originally Posted by BadAV
Mwagne16 is correct that the porosity can be in the sealing surface but this would typically only be exposed if the casting surface had been machined. Machined sealing surfaces with porosity are a definite no-no!

All castings also have some amount of porosity dispersed throughout the casting. The better the metal preparation process, die design, and better controlled the casting process is, the less porosity the casting has.

The company I worked for manufactured, machined, assembled, and tested oil & fuel filter housings, valve covers, and fuel priming pumps for Caterpillar engines.

Air leaks, especially small ones, are very common when pressure testing castings. This doesn't mean the casting will leak fuel or oil but is a good indication that the casting could potentially leak. First-time capability in our process was typically about 90% with no leaks. The leaking castings were impregnated and retested, typically with another 5% passing pressure test the second time around. The remaining castings were scrapped and remelted.
Is it good or bad when work creeps into a hoby? One of my departments is a machining line for aluminum valve bodies. It's tough to see some small defects. The final defense is the test stands, but nothing's perfect.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:28 AM
BadAV
Race Director

I guess work knowledge is a good thing if it is directly relevant to the topic at hand, which it definitely appears to be in this case. Enough said, we'll now move on to the next topic!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:56 PM
David426
Safety Car

Thanks for everyones input. I love to give good info to other members when I can. I appreciate the same coming back. this is what makes this forum so great...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:12 PM
lotzahp
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had the same problem when my 98 was new, but at least it was a warranty repair. Took the dealer several attempts to repair, because they couldn't believe the case leaked.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:19 PM
turboc5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask any one who has had a old cadalic northstar. The original ones had porous BLOCKS that would seep oil through the side of them. Its just a crappy casting. Chances are they are right. I am a tech at a mercedes dealer and usally when the change a whole trans they have a service maniger look at it and sign off on the repair. The tech was probly just hoping to get lucky with a pan gasket. Look at the brite side, at least your getting a brand new trans.

Get notified of new replies

To A4 leaking trans fluid dealership says porous casing.. WTF?

Quick Reply: A4 leaking trans fluid dealership says porous casing.. WTF?