C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Onslought of ABS/TCS problems here

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:00 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Onslought of ABS/TCS problems here

I have seen a dozen or more ABS/TCS problem posts here in the last week. My 98 had a TCS problem as well. It was throwing P1571 and C1277 codes intermitently. I checked and cleaned the grounds but the problem persisted. Being out of warranty, I took it to a local vette guru who found the problem; it was a damaged wire connector. The damage was due to over-heat/over-current, probably caused by poor grounding.

My car has had a reletively "easy" life. Only 50k miles and driven in Southern California weather only. It seems to me like these ABS/TCS/AH electrical gremlins may be a serious problem as our C5s get old. I wonder if the C6 will fare any better?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:08 PM
C4TOMCAT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you indicate where the connector is located or a pic. Thanks for another piece of info to know about troubleshooting this system faults. tom
Old 09-02-2005, 03:50 PM
joec87
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1571 H C / C1277 H

Originally Posted by SDVette
I have seen a dozen or more ABS/TCS problem posts here in the last week. My 98 had a TCS problem as well. It was throwing P1571 and C1277 codes intermitently. I checked and cleaned the grounds but the problem persisted. Being out of warranty, I took it to a local vette guru who found the problem; it was a damaged wire connector. The damage was due to over-heat/over-current, probably caused by poor grounding.

My car has had a reletively "easy" life. Only 50k miles and driven in Southern California weather only. It seems to me like these ABS/TCS/AH electrical gremlins may be a serious problem as our C5s get old. I wonder if the C6 will fare any better?
Coincidentally, I just got my '99 Vert (auto) inspected at the dealer. Not a mile from the place the DIC lit up "Active Handling Service"... when I got home I pulled the codes and sure enough, I have the same problem. Any additional info on tracking it down is much appreciated!!
Old 09-02-2005, 04:17 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Ditto,
Old 09-03-2005, 07:38 AM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

similiar issues with my 99', would love to see pic showing area
Old 09-03-2005, 09:13 AM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I would like to see a picture of that area also if you happen to know where it was.

Also, for those encountering C1286, C1287 and C1288 see my other thread. Long story short, if you have any (or all) of these codes you should check the connector going into your steering sensor. Mine wasn't plugged in all the way.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:06 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default ABS/Traction Control....??????

I to would like to see the location of that connector. My trouble with this abs/traction action service alert happen after the car took a lower body bump from the driveway of a restaurant to the road's uneven surface. There was a lot of heat that was entering the tunnel also and if the car is then turn off and restarted the warning DIC stops. I have continued to drive the car and get this warning only after the car is running for a while and the car takes a good bump, bang, etc and then it lights up immediately and will reset if the car is turned off. It sounds to me like a bad connection or damaged wire. Your fix maybe a start for me. Any help with the location would be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:23 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do a search you will find tons of posts on this issue. I myself had my car in several times for repair on ABS/Active Handling failures. They finally replaced the ABS pump and that fixed mine (after cleaning all the grounds, checking all the sensors, etc., etc., etc.). Also, with my final failures, the alarms would come in during a stop. When those alarms come in, ABS is no longer functional, until you stop the car, turn the engine off and then restart it. That meant that, in the event of a panic stop, I would have had no ABS, if it chose to deactivate itself during that stop.
As far as I'm concerned, with all the problems owners experience, GM should have initiated a safety recall on C5s, concerning these problems, long ago. ABS is designed, and sold, as a safety system. When it fails so frequently, on so many cars, there is something radically wrong.
What would happen if several cars had accidents and the airbag failed to deploy, or tires randomly went flat while you were moving? You can bet there would be a recall on those. Maybe they've solved it on the C6. Of course, if they have, it just confirms that the C5 had big problems with the same system.
Ed
Old 09-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

For all concerned, there have been numerous problems lately. My 02 Z06 had a failed EBTCM just last month. I'm still trying to get GM to pay for it. (Problem happened 30 days out of warranty! )

Here are some pictures that I took of early and late C5 EBTCM/Brakeing systems. 97 and 98 C5's for the most part have Rear Mounted EBTCM:

Some LATE model 98's have a front mounted EBTCM:

I have lots of expierence with mine. Here is a redesigned front mounted EBTCM. I dont know when they changed the design to the newer module.

The grounds on these modules are critical!! If you are having problems, check the grounds. The early rear mounted modules had BAD corrosion problems on the frame ground and the motor ground. Becareful with the motor ground nuts!! Use two wrenches and LOTS pf WD-40!

Bill C
Old 09-06-2005, 08:52 PM
SMX
Racer

I've been driving my car as is... no Traction Control or ABS. I checked the grounds etc. It is an expensive part... thought I would wait a while. But I am used to driving it with the two functions disengaged. Can this cause any damage?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Z06Plasticfantastic
Instructor

I too have had similar problems. When I took my car into the dealer the head mechanic stated that vehicles with SS lines sometimes caused the wheel sensors to receive false signals. As a matter of fact, further stated that GM has a Service Bulletin on vehicles with SS lines throwing codes and confusing the ebcm. Has anybody seen this SB?

Also found out that changing the EBCM requires reflashing the PCM which despite GMPP, I declined as I have a H/C and dyno tune which cost about $750.

I started to note when this happened and noticed it always corresponded with either a bumpy surface or turning into an area which was uneven and one of the wheels would actually lift of the ground. (yes, I know, its terrible, but some driveways and entrances are way off camber)

At the track or on the street everything else seems okay.

Gremlins or ????

Last edited by Z06Plasticfantastic; 09-06-2005 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Driving the car with the ABS TCS disengauged or fuses pulled is not going to damage anything. The brakes will stop the car normaly BUT you will not have the automatic assistance of antilock or traction control! Hell, I learned to drive on manual brake cars and pumping the brakes in a panic stop was the NORM! (I guess Im showing my age!

Z06Plasticfantastic

You my friend have a loose/bad connection and need to dig a little deeper. I wish you guys lived closer, cause we would strip that system doen to prade rest and find the issue.

SMX
How and which grounds did you clean? Did you remove them and clean the metal on the frame and the the ground stud on the EBTCM?? Have you removed the plug on the EBTCM and checked for bent corroded pins?

I always start with all of the no cost items first and run all of them to the rest.

Bill
Old 09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Here is a link to another EBTCM post that has some good pics in it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1551980648
Old 09-08-2005, 03:51 PM
blubyu
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
If you do a search you will find tons of posts on this issue. I myself had my car in several times for repair on ABS/Active Handling failures. They finally replaced the ABS pump and that fixed mine (after cleaning all the grounds, checking all the sensors, etc., etc., etc.). Also, with my final failures, the alarms would come in during a stop. When those alarms come in, ABS is no longer functional, until you stop the car, turn the engine off and then restart it. That meant that, in the event of a panic stop, I would have had no ABS, if it chose to deactivate itself during that stop.
As far as I'm concerned, with all the problems owners experience, GM should have initiated a safety recall on C5s, concerning these problems, long ago. ABS is designed, and sold, as a safety system. When it fails so frequently, on so many cars, there is something radically wrong.
What would happen if several cars had accidents and the airbag failed to deploy, or tires randomly went flat while you were moving? You can bet there would be a recall on those. Maybe they've solved it on the C6. Of course, if they have, it just confirms that the C5 had big problems with the same system.
Ed
Well put, Ed. Recall! Recall! Recall!
Old 09-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like enough information gathered to start a informational sticky on this. I nominate Bill Curlee
John
Old 09-08-2005, 05:40 PM
ptiller
Advanced

How would we go about submiting a number of claims to the NHTSA , so we could help push a recall on this issue. If this was not a safety system ( and expensive ), I would not be so concerned, but we are talking about our ABS and stabiliy control sysems ( and high cost ).

I am just curious if anyone has a game plan on how to do this, and achieve the desired result.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Its weird, mine throws the code only between September and Novemeber, then wont throw it again until the next Sept. Serious.
Its currently driving me nuts so I guess I'll have to check all the grounds since the car has seen 7 NE winters and 154,000 miles.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yep! Sounds like bad grounds!!!

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Onslought of ABS/TCS problems here

Quick Reply: Onslought of ABS/TCS problems here