C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Musty smell coming from '98 air vents...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:59 AM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Musty smell coming from '98 air vents...

Hi...

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this annoying issue I'm having with my '98 Vette. When I first turn on the ignition, before starting the car, air will start blowing out of the vents. The smell is musty, almost mouldy. Same for a few seconds when the motor is started, before the a/c kicks in.

Once the a/c is running, the smell appears to go away.

The car has no leaks into the interior, and nothing inside is wet...eg. carpets, etc. Nothing else inside has this musty smell...just the air coming out of the vents.

Any ideas on what would be causing this, and how to get rid of it - would be really appreciated!

Many thanks in advance...Robert
Old 08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a common problem with moisture building up in the air vents... I've heard try turning off the A/C a few minutes before you exit but still let the air blow to get rid of some of the condensation. I've also heard using some spray cleanser into the air vents. I'm sure others have helpful hints for you or you can try a search if you have not already done so.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Musty....Mouldy Smell

________________________________________ ____________________
[MHVette]It's a common problem with moisture building up in the air vents... I've heard try turning off the A/C a few minutes before you exit but still let the air blow to get rid of some of the condensation. I've also heard using some spray cleanser into the air vents. I'm sure others have helpful hints for you or you can try a search if you have not already done so.

Buy a bottle of "Febreze" Antimicrobial Laundry Spray. You can buy it at any store that carries laundry detergents. It kills 99.9% of bacteria that causes odors (that's what the bottle says) Spray it in the vents when you are not going to use the car (overnight) Works for me.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM
H20Vette
Pro

Originally Posted by MHVette
It's a common problem with moisture building up in the air vents... I've heard try turning off the A/C a few minutes before you exit but still let the air blow to get rid of some of the condensation. I've also heard using some spray cleanser into the air vents. I'm sure others have helpful hints for you or you can try a search if you have not already done so.

This works in all cars, not just vettes.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks for the advice...

Hey...

Thanks everyone for your advice...I will certainly give this a try. I'm glad that it seems to be a common issue and isn't related to anything more serious.

I've never had it happen though in any other a/c'd car that I've owned. Strange.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:33 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Lysol thru the intake of the cowl works too.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:41 PM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eRiCdWoNg
Lysol thru the intake of the cowl works too.
Thanks - just to clarify...what exactly are you referring to by the 'intake of the cowl'? Not the very front of the car where the air filter assembly is...that would go into the fuel injection system then?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:41 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

in the engine bay i would say w/99% certainty the moisture drain is clogged that drains the hvac box
Old 08-23-2005, 08:14 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Possibly

[connecticut]in the engine bay i would say w/99% certainty the moisture drain is clogged that drains the hvac box

Hey Steven.......maybe......maybe not. I recently experienced that musty odor for the first time, and I always keep my utters clean.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:18 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rfh928
Thanks - just to clarify...what exactly are you referring to by the 'intake of the cowl'? Not the very front of the car where the air filter assembly is...that would go into the fuel injection system then?
The vents where the hood meets the windsheild, under the wipers. On the C5 its mostly on the driver side. Those are your air intake vents. Creank the AC to high, use OUTSIDE air, then spray lysol. Oh yeah,remove top and open windows when doing this.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 PM
RonJ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHVette

RonJ ...
Old 08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Do Corvettes use any type of cabin air filter? I know my explorer did, but I haven't encountered it on any GM products.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Do Corvettes use any type of cabin air filter? I know my explorer did, but I haven't encountered it on any GM products.
They do not!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Mad_Maxxx
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

The cowl area is where the wipers and windshield glass area meet. Outside air comes from that area.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:13 PM
greg_nate
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi...

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this annoying issue I'm having with my '98 Vette. When I first turn on the ignition, before starting the car, air will start blowing out of the vents. The smell is musty, almost mouldy. Same for a few seconds when the motor is started, before the a/c kicks in.

Once the a/c is running, the smell appears to go away.

The car has no leaks into the interior, and nothing inside is wet...eg. carpets, etc. Nothing else inside has this musty smell...just the air coming out of the vents.

Any ideas on what would be causing this, and how to get rid of it - would be really appreciated!

Many thanks in advance...Robert
This may be a "cheesy" way of fixing the problem, but it worked on the vette and the girlfriend's Camry. I Turned off the air conditioning and cranked the heater to the highest temp and ran it full blast for about 10 minutes....on both recirculation and vent settings.

The theory was that the hot air would force evaporation of any liquid and simply dry up/burn away any odors.

It has worked for me very well.

greg

Get notified of new replies

To Musty smell coming from '98 air vents...

Quick Reply: Musty smell coming from '98 air vents...