C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transgo install

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:27 PM
99SilverC5A4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transgo install

has any one installed one of these at home? it does not seem to be that hard. if any one has any tech tips i will have a go at it this weekend.
thanks,
99SilverC5A4
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 PM
DJMRTS
Burning Brakes

I would like to know also! Is the correct kit # SK 4L60E-HD? They are selling this kit on e-bay for about $81.00. Transgo says that the "HD" kit is if you want firmer shifts. It's a reprogramming kit.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:39 AM
1997C5
Instructor

I personally have never done one. I smoked my transmission last year and had a friend rebuild it with Alto red clutches, kevlar band and a Transgo shift kit. I ordered the shift kit from ebay and got the HD2 and it is great. Here is the link of the exact one I bought for my 1997 A4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANS...6601QQtcZphoto

Hope this helps. -Ed
Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

I checked out the following link.

#1. WHY does this kit look different in the picture than the other Transgo kits that I've seen being sold by West Coast Corvette and others...? Is it the same kit, with different packaging, or a different item all together?

#2. Is having one of these kits really recommended and how do the benefit. I read their website, and though it makes sense, I didn't find a real huge reason for getting it. Can someone convince me of its benefits ?

Thanks guys..
Old 08-12-2005, 11:15 AM
1997C5
Instructor

I don't know why the kit looks different from what you've seen from other vendors. I do know you can contact Oregon Performance and they will make sure it fits your needs.

As far as the benefits, the one that I heard was your transmission temp should be a little cooler due to the fact that the transmission is not slipping between shifts. It is a positive engage when it shifts and "should" prolong your transmission life. I'm not a big fan of boosting line pressure through the computer and would rather install a shift kit.

As far as the drawbacks, I have found my wife can do without the firm shifts for extended periods of time. I personally like it. You will also wear your tires slightly faster because they will chirp going into 2nd and possibly 3rd. Again I like that too so it will depend on your preference.

I hope I helped you with your decision and if I had to do it again, I gladly do the same but install a converter while the transmission was out.

Final thoughts, you might want to think about the overall condition of your transmission. If it is weak and having problems, might not be a good idea to install one until you rebuild it. As I said before, I had my friend build mine with quality clutches and band, new seals and so on and it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To transgo install

Quick Reply: transgo install