C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking Suggestions for new Corvette products

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 12:26 AM
XTC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking Suggestions for new Corvette products

I would like to venture into my own little engineering business; I have 3 engineering degrees, and work as an engineer for Mercedes/DaimlerChrysler.

I do not want to get caught up into creating gearing, superchargers, turbos, etc... I would rather stick to modified controls, extra electronic functionality, etc. I have the ability to create basically any electronic boards, and a limited amount of fabrication (metal, plastics, etc).

I pose the question to you:

If you could have any new function or capability for your c5; what would it be?

Perhaps a LCD controlled A/C (HVAC) system instead of the standard 3 switch manual version? Perhaps a more advanced one?

Perhaps temperature/pressure monitors for [?whatever?]

Custom switches / controls for [?whatever?]

Perhaps those pretty LED taillights? Perhaps a modified version that flashes/pulses, provides yellow arrows for turns and red squares for stops?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:32 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I'm in the market for LED tail lights...it would be cool to see a perfect circle of LEDs vs. the ones they have out there now that are diamond shaped or stepped LEDs.

How about LED tails that are set up like the Euro lights where the center of the red LED would be amber LEDs and used for turn signals?

Good luck if you manage to get started!

Or you could always build us an [Marvin the Martian] Illudium Q36 space modulator. [/Marvin]

Last edited by jdmvette; 08-07-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:35 AM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me a dreamer, but I'd like to see an electronic cloaking device that actually works against all forms of laser/radar.
We can time a shuttle to hit and film an asteroid, we can certainly make a better cloaking device.

I typically drive fairly close to the speed limit on most trips, but when I'm 10 over from time to time, it sucks to see an officer and have to do a brake stand.
Scott
Old 08-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Ferretts
Racer

a high hp traction control system would be cool... you know one that doesnt bog you down
Old 08-07-2005, 01:30 AM
XTC
Intermediate

The LED taillights are definately something that I've toyed with for a while... I'll start playing around with the prices for it and see about making some sketches and bring them back for opinions.

As far as Radar/Laser cloak; [sorry] that is a project that will require significant investment in research and testing. At this time I don't want to start into this market.

high hp tcs...

I looked into this for about an hour now... There are somethings I can do...

e.g.

Anything dealing with controlling the armed/disarmed status of the TCS; np...

Like the boxes that you see that "remember" the last status of the TCS and return it to that state on engine crank. Perhaps something that "watches the RPM" and disables the TCS automatically... Which might have some extra concerns that I would have to look into before taking on such a project.

There might be something I can do about cutting down the amount of braking effect it has... but unless someone else has a good idea about how it should function; I don't want the responsibilty of messing with someone's brakes.

However, those are the only two functions that occur outside of the ECUs (mostly the PCM). And since we know the PCM is responsible of the powertrain and the amount of power provided to the wheels; I can't find an appropriate interface to modify.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:09 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by simpleman68
Call me a dreamer, but I'd like to see an electronic cloaking device that actually works against all forms of laser/radar.
We can time a shuttle to hit and film an asteroid, we can certainly make a better cloaking device.

I typically drive fairly close to the speed limit on most trips, but when I'm 10 over from time to time, it sucks to see an officer and have to do a brake stand.
Scott
Old 08-07-2005, 03:07 AM
rbcox
Advanced

Default Make a complete HUD kit <NT>

Also, something as simple as a 'window valet' plug in device. That does more than just lower your windows with the remote.

Last edited by rbcox; 08-07-2005 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:41 AM
z16kalel
Racer

How about improved door switches, or a different door locking handle(loose the plastic) or steering wheel mounted controls for the radio. Adding more info on the DIC or HUD.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:50 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

brushed aluminum interior door handle mechanisms...

Make trhat real brushed aluminum...
Old 08-07-2005, 08:01 AM
JeffC5
Melting Slicks

Location: Edmond, OK...One of the first rules of online forums: If you don't like what is said but can't refute it, attack the poster.

How about some kind of sensor that warns you if your top is not properly latched.
jeff
Old 08-07-2005, 08:52 AM
CorvetteMick
Pro

How about a device thet will return the active handling to the same mode it was when turned off, i.e. competion mode.

Mick
Old 08-07-2005, 09:16 AM
boatboatboat
Drifting

I pre-made custom look fiberglass amp rack, with built in places to mount 6-1/2'' speakers right behind the seats, and still allow the top in a vert to close.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:31 AM
LeMansBlue04
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drag race quite a few times a year. What I would like to see is a 2-stage control for the Vette. A fella named Harlan used to make them mostly for the F-Body guys but he recently quit making them.

It shuts off every other hit at the spark plugs to control the RPM levels at the line by interrupting the ignition cycle. This can be problematic for cars with cats and Harlan's doc warns against using his device with cats. I suppose because raw fuel can build up in the exhaust pipes prior to the cars.

Since the newer Corvettes are drive by wire I would like to see a 2-stage that works by controlling RPM through the throttle instead of the ignition. Overide throttle position with a simple button, release the button and control is immediately returned to the car.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Morzoff
Safety Car

Scott
Old 08-07-2005, 10:26 AM
dshriver
Advanced

How about a way to install the C6 nav unit in a C5, and incorporate its HUD features?

It would require a new radio bezel as well as the wiring harness to hook up to the C5, and then some way to interface with the HUD.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:41 AM
shakainc
Drifting

Nav unit/CD Player for C5. Touch screen would be nice. Also matching A/C Controls.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:04 AM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by jdmvette
Or you could always build us an [Marvin the Martian] Illudium Q36 space modulator. [/Marvin]
I do a PERFECT Marvin Martian impersonation!!!

"eeeeewwwwww, that makes me so aannngrryy!!"

Sorry, had nothing to do with the thread... I just couldn't resist...

Get notified of new replies

To Taking Suggestions for new Corvette products

Old 08-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Eric Hawkins
Racer

Originally Posted by LeMansBlue04
I drag race quite a few times a year. What I would like to see is a 2-stage control for the Vette. A fella named Harlan used to make them mostly for the F-Body guys but he recently quit making them.

It shuts off every other hit at the spark plugs to control the RPM levels at the line by interrupting the ignition cycle. This can be problematic for cars with cats and Harlan's doc warns against using his device with cats. I suppose because raw fuel can build up in the exhaust pipes prior to the cars.

Since the newer Corvettes are drive by wire I would like to see a 2-stage that works by controlling RPM through the throttle instead of the ignition. Overide throttle position with a simple button, release the button and control is immediately returned to the car.

I would be happy with one just like Harlans, too bad he quit making them.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:04 PM
IFLUBYU
Drifting

I'd like to see a more functional, customizable HUD. I'd like to see two to three numeric fields with datum collected by the OBD-II, much like the pod's being sold now by FLP. I would also like a programmable shift indicator integrated with the HUD. If you could figure out a way to display the LEDs from a radar detector on the HUD, that would also be awesome.

A NAV/DVD/Pocket-PC-PDA also able to give OBD-II readings, maybe even run LS1-Edit, EFI live, etc. Guess it would be like a remote laptop display/input to fit where the radio goes. Guess that means a hidden laptop (palm-top maybe).

Oh yeah, and the Q36 space modulator, must have it precious!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:06 PM
DanTTVette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott
Typically when I am cloaked, I can not fire my phasers..

Do I smell opportunity?

Quick Reply: Taking Suggestions for new Corvette products