C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Fitment Over Big Brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 12:32 PM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Default Wheel Fitment Over Big Brakes???

Ok guys, I am having a problem in finding a rear wheel with enough offset to mount my MT ET Street DRs and clear my 14" Wilwood big brake package without a spacer. I now am running the Grand Sport 17X11 wheel on the rear with my BFGs and it clears; trouble is it is too wide for the MTs (max width recommended is 10"). Anybody out there who knows about such things? Will the new C6 wheel work? What if I ran with the 17X11 wheels I have now, any problems in my doing so(exceeding the recommended width)?? Appreciate the help and thanks.
Joe
Old 08-02-2005, 07:07 PM
Jason Blue Boost
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 37 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Joe, are you sure you have the 4 piston new 14" rotor setup in the rear? I thought the smallest rim size to clear a 14" rotor are 18's. I'm about to put my 4 piston 14" Wilwood setup in the rear and was told that the factory 97-99 wagon wheels would not clear.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:25 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

assuming you mean lateral clearance and not diameter-wise it isn't the offset that is at issue it is the spoke design. You could have all the offset in the world but if the spokes come straight from the hub surface radially it will not clear.

The first thing I'd do is email Wilwood (or search their site) and get a template for the caliper/rotor you have. The only way to tell if a given wheel will clear is the apply the template. (or wilwood may actually know which brands do).

Have you tried a Z06 wheel? I run Wilwoods in front on 13" and the 17" Z06 wheels (OEM only) clear fine due to the spoke design. From first glance it would appear the same could be said of the 18" Z06 wheel and a 14" setup.

Hope this helps some. I really would start with Wilwood - they're pretty attentive to emails.

Jon
Old 08-03-2005, 08:44 AM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Jason, I haven't the new 14" rear rotor...mine are about 1 1/2 yrs old and are the 4 piston design.
Jon, I am calling Wilwood this AM and see if they can help as you suggest.
Thanks guys for your taking time to help...appreciate it!
Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Fitment Over Big Brakes???

Quick Reply: Wheel Fitment Over Big Brakes???