C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry or oil on lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Quacker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dry or oil on lug nuts

What torque spec do you use when using oil on the lug nuts
Old 07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Torque values published in the service manual are dry. If you have some corrosion, clean it off first.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:07 PM
Bills03Coupe
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quacker
What torque spec do you use when using oil on the lug nuts
I use anti seize compound, not oil, and torque to the recommended values.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:05 PM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always used the engineering manual on material specs. They always give torque for clean/lubed fasteners. A better way to tighten is to measure % of streatch on the bolt,, but we don't really do that on wheels. So I torque to 95#'s in the correct pattern in 20# increments, to 80 #'s then 10 #'s and finally 5 # to finish, with a "film of grease" on the lugs. Read the film to be only enough to make a shiny film,,not glob. Never had a problem with Clean/Lubed/torqued fasteners,, even the wheels on my 64, 87 and C5. 99 Nassau Blue
Old 07-29-2005, 06:50 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Quote from GM Service Manual for 2002 Corvette, page 3-97:

"Notice: A torque wrench or J39544 must be used to ensure that wheel nuts are tighened to specification. Never use lubricants or penetrating fludis on wheel stud, nuts, or mounting surfaces, as this can raise the actual torque on the nut without a correspondine torque reading on the torque wrench. Wheel nuts, studs, and mounting surfaces must be clean and dry. Failure to follow these instructions could result in wheel, nut, and/or stud damage."
Old 07-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

NEVER use oil on lug nuts. Use a wire brush to clean if necessary. A friend of mine used oil, ended up having car flat beded when wheels came loose!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 PM
RonJ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
NEVER use oil on lug nuts. Use a wire brush to clean if necessary. A friend of mine used oil, ended up having car flat beded when wheels came loose!
That's odd, I've used a "Never Seize" compound on the wheels nuts of all my vehicles for years and have never had a problem.

Ron ...
Old 07-29-2005, 10:23 PM
silverz06vette
Drifting

I have always torqued my nuts in one shot.

100 ft-lbs and with 30 trackdays I'm guessing that I have had my wheels off and on more than most.

Always dry too.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Everybody has a different way and they all seem to work. I torque mine to 80 lbs. and have not lost a wheel in 5 yrs.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Cpe04
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ
That's odd, I've used a "Never Seize" compound on the wheels nuts of all my vehicles for years and have never had a problem.

Ron ...
I agree , I 've used never-seize for 30years.Great stuff.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:15 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandra Bigwoode
If you have ever had the wheels removed and replaced to change tires with the tire monkey using an old and loose impact wrench, you have probably had the studs over-torqued.

Next tire change, use a wire brush on the studs, smear some anti-seize compound on the studs and have the tire monkey use a 100'# torque stick on the old impact wrench.
i never let tire monkeys use an impact wrench on the corvettes. when i have tires mounted and balanced, i always take them off the car, throw them in the truck, and take them to the tire place. i always use a torque wrench, star pattern, dry, torque at 50#, 75#, and finally 100# - and a recheck within 100 miles.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Roadrace65
Pro

Hey Guys,
Hit this link to the ARP site – Look at this chart and you’ll see how much lubing a thread changes the recommended torque required to achieve it’s full clamping force. In short – lubing the thread isn’t so much a sin “IF” your tightening / stretching to spec

www.arp-bolts.com/pages/tech/images/fasttorq.pdf

A lubed Vette wheel stud is being stretched past it’s engineered limit at 100FtLbs.

Under torqueing is a danger too – under torqued fasteners never making full stretch / load can get Cycled – Scary thought when you have race tires on that develop big forces on the studs at every turn.

Read Carroll Smith's, Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook – This book is Super!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Quacker
Racer

This is good info, thanks to everyone
Old 07-30-2005, 10:18 AM
ZFORME
Burning Brakes

Dry dude!
Old 07-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

If you lube, then you MUST reduce the torque by a "K" factor. Don't know what a "K" factor is? Then do NOT lube the threads prior to applying the specified torque. Doing so will create an overtorque condition.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:33 PM
sdef
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Default re

very thin coat of never sieze, torque to 75 then to 100 ft lbs
Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Quacker
Racer

The post above is correct

( A lubed Vette wheel stud is being stretched past it’s engineered limit at 100FtLbs.)

I do not know what a "K" factor is

Get notified of new replies

To Dry or oil on lug nuts

Old 08-01-2005, 11:34 PM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Yall worry to damn much. I just torque them on at the recommended value and don't care. None of this torque in increments crap. Been doing that for I can't tell you how many years and I've never had a tire fall off no matter how hard I beat it.

Last edited by BigBlue; 08-01-2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

K Factor is a torque coefficient between bolt and receptacle. It is a function of the materials' frictional characteristics, which are based on surface finish, coatings and so on.

Typical Steel Bolt 0.20
Zinc-Plated 0.20
Lubricated 0.18
Cadmium-Plated 0.16
Nonplated Black Finish 0.30

Question: How is bolt installation preload calculated?
Answer: Bolt pretension, also called preload or prestress, comes from the installation torque T you apply when you install the bolt. The inclined plane of the bolt thread helix converts torque to bolt pretension. Bolt preload is computed as follows.
Pi = T/(K D) (Eq. 1)
where Pi = bolt preload (called Fi in Shigley).
T = bolt installation torque.
K = torque coefficient.
D = bolt nominal shank diameter (i.e., bolt nominal size).
Torque coefficient K is a function of thread geometry, thread coefficient of friction t, and collar coefficient of friction c. Look up K for your specific thread interface and collar (bolt head or nut annulus) interface materials, surface condition, and lubricant (if any). ("Torque specs for screws," Shigley, and various other sources discuss various K value estimates.) If you cannot find or obtain K from credible references or sources for your specific interfaces, then you would need to research to try to find the coefficients of friction for your specific interfaces, then calculate K yourself using one of the following two formulas listed below (Shigley, Mechanical Engineering Design, 5 ed., McGraw-Hill, 1989, p. 346, Eq. 8-19, and MIL-HDBK-60, 1990, Sect. 100.5.1, p. 26, Eq. 100.5.1, respectively), the latter being far simpler.
K = {[(0.5 dp)(tan  + t sec )/(1 – t tan  sec )] + [0.625 c D]}/D (Eq. 2)
K = {[0.5 p/] + [0.5 t (D – 0.75 p sin )/sin ] + [0.625 c D]}/D (Eq. 3)
where D = bolt nominal shank diameter.
p = thread pitch (bolt longitudinal distance per thread).
 = thread profile angle = 60° (for M, MJ, UN, UNR, and UNJ thread profiles).
 = thread profile half angle = 60°/2 = 30°.
tan  = thread helix angle tan = p/( dp).
dp = bolt pitch diameter.
t = thread coefficient of friction.
c = collar coefficient of friction.
D and p can be obtained from bolt tables such as Standard Metric and USA Bolt Shank Dimensions.
The three terms in Eq. 3 are axial load component (coefficient) of torque resistance due to (1) thread helix inclined plane normal force, (2) thread helix inclined plane tangential (thread friction) force, and (3) bolt head or nut washer face friction force, respectively.
However, whether you look up K in references or calculate it yourself, the engineer must understand that using theoretical equations and typical values for K and coefficients of friction merely gives a preload estimate. Coefficient of friction data in published tables vary widely, are often tenuous, and are often not specific to your specific interface combinations and lubricants. Such things as unacknowledged surface condition variations and ignored dirt in the internal thread can skew the results and produce a false indication of preload.
The engineer and technician must understand that published K values apply to perfectly clean interfaces and lubricants (if any). If, for example, the threads of a steel, zinc-plated, K = 0.22, "dry" installation fastener were not clean, this might cause K to increase to a value of 0.32 or even higher. One should also note that published K values are intended to be used when applying the torque to the nut. The K values will change in relation to fastener length and assembly running torque if the torque is being read from the bolt head.
One should measure the nut or assembly "running" torque with an accurate, small-scale torque wrench. ("Running" torque, also called prevailing torque, is defined as the torque when all threads are fully engaged, fastener is in motion, and washer face has not yet made contact.) The only torque that generates bolt preload is the torque you apply above running torque.
A few more things to be aware of are as follows. Bolt proof strength Sp is the maximum tensile stress the bolt material can withstand without encountering permanent deformation. Published bolt yield strengths are determined at room temperature. Heat will lower the yield strength (and proof strength) of a fastener. Especially in critical situations, you should never reuse a fastener unless you are certain the fastener has never been yielded.
1.1 Bolt Preload Measurement
If a more accurate answer for bolt preload is needed than discussed above, the specific combination and lubricant would have to be measured instead of calculated. Measurement methods are generally involved, time-consuming, and expensive, and are beyond the scope of this article. But perhaps one of the simplest and least expensive methods, to test specific combinations and lubricants, is to measure the installed fastener with a micrometer, if possible, and compute torque coefficient K as follows, per Shigley, op. cit., p. 345, para. 2.
K = T L/(E A delta D) (Eq. 4)
where T = bolt installation torque, L = bolt grip length, E = bolt modulus of elasticity, A = bolt cross-sectional area, D = bolt nominal shank diameter, and delta = measured bolt elongation in units of length.

Ah well, some of the formulas didn't turn out too well, but I think you get the picture. Most torque specs are for unlubricated hardware!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
i never let tire monkeys use an impact wrench on the corvettes. when i have tires mounted and balanced, i always take them off the car, throw them in the truck, and take them to the tire place. i always use a torque wrench, star pattern, dry, torque at 50#, 75#, and finally 100# - and a recheck within 100 miles.
Yeah, what he said!!

Quick Reply: Dry or oil on lug nuts