C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Runs Fine But....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:21 PM
artfahie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Runs Fine But....

The normal gremlins are starting to have a day for themselves... and here I am getting ready to go on a long trip in about a week. This is it in a nutshell... I have the usual fuel gauge problem & have been trying fuel injector cleaner (NAPA) with no luck, so I went for the $$$ and purchased the Chevron stuff. I put some in the tank, drove about a quarter-tank through it with no results, so dumped in another container of it. The fuel gauge worked last night, quit this morning, and now it's working again. The odd thing is when it kicked in tonight I noticed two things (one of which I could be imagining)... firstly the check engine light went on & stayed on (no blinking), secondly... I always thought my battery put out about 13.? amps... now it's reading about 12.9 tops. Maybe the battery thing is my imagination... but even the "book" references a reading of about 13.5 amps. As for the engine light?.. I'm clueless... I'm not a mechanic... can't get to the codes, and am just looking for some insight on this. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:46 PM
STA-BLK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First the gas gauge will not correct itself with a quarter mile of driving with the techron.Id say for it to be effective you will need to go through at least 2 full tanks of treated gas before you can say its not working.Second you batt will go up and down all the time.Mine goes anywhere from 12.9 to 14 while running.Dont swear it.Its small beans
Old 06-20-2005, 09:47 PM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, from what you say about adding the fuel system cleaner, I'd say keep adding the fuel system cleaner every tank of fuel for a few more tanks. I'm a strong believer in just running the fuel system cleaner through to fix these sending units. I ran three bottles of techron through my car for three consecutive tanks and after the first tank my fuel gauge was working normally. After the third it had been reading correctly for quite a while. So, keep at it! As for the check engine light, you can read the codes yourself and post them on here. There is a great tutorial on how to do that on this site and on corvetteactioncenter.com. Very very easy to read codes. As for the voltage problem, and the fact that your not a mechanic, I'd just go ahead and bring it somewhere and have the charging system load tested. Good luck. Don't give up!
Old 06-20-2005, 09:54 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a link to help you pull the codes: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=26&TopicID=1

This, and many more helpful articles, may be found in the "tech Tips" listings under the "other" header of the forum tool bar.

Last edited by RCK1999; 06-20-2005 at 09:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Runs Fine But....

Quick Reply: Car Runs Fine But....