C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On vacation gas guage went dead!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:11 AM
lost
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default On vacation gas guage went dead!

Any known quick fixes or TSBs.Owned the car for three years, never once did tha guage act up,44 miles on the road and bam,wham thank you very much.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:23 AM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lost
Any known quick fixes or TSBs.Owned the car for three years, never once did tha guage act up,44 miles on the road and bam,wham thank you very much.
Not an easy fix but is very common. The sending unit gets gunked up with sulfer build-up from some brands of gas. Try throwing a bottle of Techron fuel additive into a tank of Chevron premium. Might clear it up.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:28 AM
SGT. PYLE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Techron will work for a tank or two but the best I have found is B-12 Chemtol. Used it once about 4K miles ago and no more posessed gas guage.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:42 AM
lost
Drifting

Tried the techron 1st place I could stop, upon restart guage acted normal for about 30 miles,then died again, filled with Chevron the rest of the trip ,for about 600 miles , each time I stopped the guage would come alive for about 30 miles, till it finally just quit.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a TCB for a faulty gauge.

I have a 2001 & mine started acting up in 2004. The reprogram fixed it.
Although the TSB doesn't address '98's, the fix may be the same. Hope this helps.

I recall there was a problem with some early model C5 sending units, but don't have the TSB for that as it wasn't applicable for my car.

Fix for Faulty Fuel Gauge

GM's most current fix is to program the PCM with an update,not replace the fuel senders
Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM) #02-06-04-010A - (06/27/2003)
Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM)
1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette
This bulletin is being revised to add models and update the Correction and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-010 (Section 06- Engine).
Condition
Some owners may comment about the fuel gauge intermittently indicating an empty reading and then return to the correct fuel level indication.
Cause
This condition may result when fuel blends containing aggressive sulphur compounds react with the fuel sender assembly, which may result in voltage spikes being induced on the fuel level signal to the PCM. Use of another fuel blend may reverse this reaction and return the system to normal operation.
Correction
Reprogram the PCM with the new service calibration which is available in the June 2003, Techline® TIS release sent to the dealers on 6/28/03. Use the TIS Version 7 or later data update.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:23 PM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked some old files & found this. I didn't think I'd kept it.

The TSB for the Faulty Fuel Sensor repair.
Document ID # 788111
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inaccurate/Erratic Fuel Level Gage Readings (Install New Sensor, Strainer and/or RH Fuel Sender Assembly) #01-06-04-022
Inaccurate/Erratic Fuel Level Gage Readings (Install New Sensor, Strainer and/or R.H. Fuel Sender Assembly)
1997-2000 Chevrolet Corvette
Condition
Some owners may comment about inaccurate/erratic fuel level gage reading conditions such as those indicated below:
Fuel gage suddenly drops to E (empty) and CHECK GAGES message illuminates (DTC P1431 or P0461 set).
Fuel gage does not go to F (full) after filling fuel tank.
Vehicle runs out of fuel while the gage still indicates fuel is available.

Cause
The conditions indicated above may be the result of one or a combination of more than one of the causes indicated below:
Stuck or intermittent sticking of the sensor float arm.
Clogged/restricted R.H. fuel sender assembly jet pump.
R.H. jet pump unable to transfer fuel due to fuel vaporization resulting in bubble accumulation in the fuel strainer.
Correction
Inspect the Julian date codes located on the bar code labels attached to the R.H. and L.H. fuel level sender assembly cover plates as shown in the figure. If the R.H. sender date code is less/smaller than "01301", replace the complete assembly with a new fuel sender kit indicated below by model year. If the L.H. sender date code is less/smaller than "32791", replace the existing fuel sender sensor and strainer with those components contained in the applicable sensor and strainer kits shown below by model year.
To insure correct installation, follow the service procedure contained in the applicable Service Manual and the instructions contained in the service kits.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
R.H. Fuel Sender Kit (1997-1999 M.Y.)
R.H. Fuel Sender Kit (2000 M.Y.)
Fuel Sensor Kit (1997-2000 M.Y.)
Fuel Strainer Kit (1997-1999 M.Y.)
Fuel Strainer Kit (2000 M.Y.)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
L1200
Fuel (Tank Unit) Seal and/or Pump Assembly - Replace (RH or LH)
Use Published Labor Operation Time
*L3502
Fuel (Tank Unit) Seal, and/or Pump Assembly - Replace (Both)
1997-1998 1.7 hrs 1999-2000 1.8 hrs
*This is a unique labor operation for use in this bulletin only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:08 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Is it possible for a DIY'er to go in and attempt to clean/fix the senders? With my car dyno tuned for the blower, the LAST THING I want to do is allow GM dealer to mess with the computer.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
lost
Drifting

Yesterday I went and bought the Berryman B-12,I.m over a thousand miles from home and am willing to try anything in hopes for a cure.Last night went on an extended tour of the Cincy area, each time I stopped the guage would work for about ten seconds and quit.The last time however it came on and stayed on.So I have decided either its fixed or the guage is level sensitive and once it breaks contact it stays off until the car is shut off and restarted.Would like everyone who has had thhis problem to add to this post as I do not intend to pay GM one red cent for what appears to be a defective design or part, and have no qualms about filiing a suit, as my family has an attorney on retainer.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:07 AM
lost
Drifting

Well two days have passed and my gas guage is still working, the acid test will come next week when I head back on the road.I really hope I've seen the end of this problem...
Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 AM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

You're welcomed to add my name to the list of claimants to any class action suit you'd care to lodge against GM for what is clearly a faulty component from the manufacturer.

Glad to hear yours is still working, where did you purchase that additive?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:11 AM
SGT. PYLE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lost
Well two days have passed and my gas guage is still working, the acid test will come next week when I head back on the road.I really hope I've seen the end of this problem...
You used the B-12? It worked for me.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:26 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...236&forum_id=1
the contacts on the sender get coated w/ gunk, it happened on my '98 after sitting over winter in 03/04, the tsb back's up this problem by replaccing the pass side fuel sender, i cleaned mine, it's been glitch free since the cleaning(q-tip and brake cleaner)
Old 06-24-2005, 11:22 PM
brutpower
Intermediate

Yes, I to have add problems with my fuel gauge. It stopped working about two years ago and i got no warning until the car just died. I waited for a rollback and had it taken to the dealer were they replaced the fuel sending unit. I was simply out of gas but could not tell since the gauge was not working and it was reading half a tank. I am now having the same problem with the gauge working fine and then i look down and it is on E and i am almost out of fuel. I will try the b12 in the am. add me to the list.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Vector
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck with the B-12. I tried Techron and B12 when my '98 vert started the same thing with the fuel gauge. Finally had the passenger side sending unit replaced. The original one had breaks in the wipe area.
I did learn you can pull up the code (don't recall the number but it will have a C by it - I promise) and reset it while your going down the road to get a quick read on fuel level.
Hope the B12 bottle fix works for you!

Last edited by Vector; 06-25-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:03 AM
GORDON

Where can you bu y the B-12
Old 06-26-2005, 12:03 AM
GORDON

Where can you buythe B-12
Old 06-26-2005, 06:27 PM
lost
Drifting

I bought mine at Walmart

Get notified of new replies

To On vacation gas guage went dead!

Old 06-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Bob Chapman
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I used the Techron and it seems to have fixed my 02.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:27 PM
BobbyO
Racer

Make sure you switch gasolines to a non-offensive brand. Hopefully you were able to identify the gas that caused you the problem. Note that what is claimed as good in one region is not the same as in another. For example, I can tell you that in Southeastern Michigan, Shell V-Power , and Amoco Ultimate based on experience. In another state, these findings may not hold up.....all depends which refinery your local distributor receives its pre-additive gasoline. Look for recommendations from a Corvette group in your area. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
lost
Drifting

Well I got 48.8 miles when the problem reoccurred, on the trip home. When the tank got to half the guage would start working again which is something I didnt experience on the trip up. This is a problem that may have existed when I bought the car with 14,800 on the clock as until this trip I never went farther than 30 miles at any time. I'll have a look see as soon as I get the fuel level down, currently I and the DIC estimate five gallons remaining.

Quick Reply: On vacation gas guage went dead!