C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hows this for a plan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hows this for a plan?

Looking to get best bang for the buck right now....
Stock HP is what? I am running 3:15 A4 Z51.

1. Halltech Stinger
2. LG longtube headers
3. GHL bullets or quad borla stingers
4. LS1 edit

What will that increase horsepower wise from stock?
What is next? I was thinking of getting the FAST intake manifold but which TB should I get....90 or what is it 70?

What would a normal aspirated 427 make HP wise? Is this the magic to the illustrious 600+ hp?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but please bear with me as things just pop up.

I am already thinking on how I am going to pay Andy for the work he does not know he is going to get.....

DC
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would estimate your current rwhp to be around 330.

What next? Really depends on your budget and what you want out of the car.

A N/A 427 isn't going to make anywhere near 600 rwhp, at least any one I would want to drive on the street.

I would skip the 90 mm intake manifold and TB for now.

Mark
Old 06-07-2005, 04:03 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by snakeiz919

1. Halltech Stinger
2. LG longtube headers
4. LS1 edit

What is next? I was thinking of getting the FAST intake manifold but which TB should I get....90 or what is it 70?

What would a normal aspirated 427 make HP wise? Is this the magic to the illustrious 600+ hp?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but please bear with me as things just pop up.

I am already thinking on how I am going to pay Andy for the work he does not know he is going to get.....

DC

Stock HP is low 300rwHP
Those mods will net you around 340rwhp

Your next step depends on your budget and what you want to do. If you want to keep the same displacement. Get a forged bottom end and supercharge it and 600HP will run well all day. You could opt for a Twin-Turbo kit from one of the many vendor. You can go nitrous or straight to the 427 (or some increased displacement 383, 400, etc).

Personnally, I love the though of a boosted vette, so I would try with forging the bottom end of what I have and adding a supercharger.

If I had the cash, I would probably do a twin turbo. They are just cool. These are all my opinions...Yours is the most important. You may want to talk to Andy about your plans.

Chris
Old 06-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock HP is low 300rwHP

I'm old school H/C myself... ...hope you find what you're looking for. The Forum and local vette clubs are great sources of infor for ya!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
Stock HP is low 300rwHP

I'm old school H/C myself... ...hope you find what you're looking for. The Forum and local vette clubs are great sources of infor for ya!
If I add the H/C package then what would the HP be?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:14 AM
SPD KILZ
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big cam and higher compression heads with LT headers you might see 460-480rwhp. Thats pushing the car pretty hard though. Throw a forged 383 in and 520-550 rwhp is attainable with the right combo.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SPD KILZ
big cam and higher compression heads with LT headers you might see 460-480rwhp. Thats pushing the car pretty hard though. Throw a forged 383 in and 520-550 rwhp is attainable with the right combo.
streetable? do I have to do anything to the T/C since it is an A4 if I want to be in that RWHP arena? 2800 or higher?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:02 AM
SPD KILZ
Pro

At the much power NA i dont know how any car would be streetable. I dont know how streetable a 383 is in a vette.

You would want to change yout tc out if your were into draging, but before that your tranny is gonna go bye bye
Old 06-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Special K
Safety Car

1. Halltech Stinger
2. LG longtube headers
4. LS1 edit

DC
Don't bother with exhaust on stock engine. It won't give you more than 20HP. Talk to tuners and they'll confirm.

Best bang for the bucks with your setup would be a TC 3200 . Also would suggest a Blackwing with shroud mod.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:44 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Korreck
Don't bother with exhaust on stock engine. It won't give you more than 20HP. Talk to tuners and they'll confirm.

Best bang for the bucks with your setup would be a TC 3200 . Also would suggest a Blackwing with shroud mod.
So what is the correct route?
1. airbox
2. full header system
3. TC 3200
then what?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Special K
Safety Car

So what is the correct route?
1. airbox
2. full header system
3. TC 3200
then what?
Forget headers and exhaust. Money would be better spent on a cam. You mentioned Andy. Please confirm what I'm telling you. My opinion is that exhaust should be done last.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Best bang for the buck. Well here is what I would do if I was trying to get HP cheap.

1. zip tie or Z06 airbox with a high flow air filter like a K&N cost $0-50
2. Modify your shroud to let some cold air in to the airbox cost $0
3. jet hot long tube headers cost $650
4. used Z06 cat-back cost $250

You will have less than $900 bucks in this setup. This will save you a boat load of money and get you close to the same HP you suggested with your original post. With the money you save then follow Korrecks suggestion and put on a higher stall TC.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by shurite44
Best bang for the buck. Well here is what I would do if I was trying to get HP cheap.

You will have less than $900 bucks in this setup. This will save you a boat load of money and get you close to the same HP you suggested with your original post. With the money you save then follow Korrecks suggestion and put on a higher stall TC.
Gary, I think the high stall will outperform what you have listed. JMO.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:58 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Korreck
Gary, I think the high stall will outperform what you have listed. JMO.
Maybe but he is looking for HP. I think a higher stall TC is the best mod for the drag strip.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:22 PM
SPD KILZ
Pro

I
Maybe but he is looking for HP. I think a higher stall TC is the best mod for the drag strip.

But i dont agree with the with the exhaust comment. The trick to these motors is let them breath. From the factory they are beast but stopped up, un clog that sucker with a full exhaust (headers, highflow cats or none at all, and cat back) and a blackwing or vararam and you will see a tremendous gain.

Its like this, if you allow the car to breath every little blot on or major work done say cam and heads will increase your hp that much more.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:24 PM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SPD KILZ
I

But i dont agree with the with the exhaust comment. The trick to these motors is let them breath. From the factory they are beast but stopped up, un clog that sucker with a full exhaust (headers, highflow cats or none at all, and cat back) and a blackwing or vararam and you will see a tremendous gain.

Its like this, if you allow the car to breath every little blot on or major work done say cam and heads will increase your hp that much more.
That was my thoughts. I was under the same impression.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:36 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I don't think the stock exhaust is THAT restrictive, the headers are, but not everything past that. I'd go with the above suggestions for headers, z06 exhaust, zip tie mod, ect. The intake side of things on these cars are very restrictive, I gained close to 20HP from a stock 99 airbox to the 'zip tie mod' one. I don't really like the idea of a zip tie holding my airfilter on though so I'll probalby be ordering something better soon...

Get notified of new replies

To Hows this for a plan?

Old 06-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Special K
Safety Car

That was my thoughts. I was under the same impression.
This is so easy and you guys make it so hard. The exhaust is VERY unrestrictive. CHECK WITH ANY REPUTABLE TUNER! You mentioned Andy. Call him. What's so hard about that?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Well I hate to quote myself but what the heck. Parts only no labor my suggestion gets in the neighborhood of 40 HP, for nine hundred bucks. Of course a cam would give better bang for the buck HP but my suggestions can in most cases be DIY. snakeiz if you go with your first suggestion:
1. Halltech Stinger
2. LG longtube headers
4. LS1 edit
You are looking at around 2300 or more just for parts. And you will be at very close to the same HP as my suggestions. Substantial savings. Although even with my suggested mods a tune would not be a bad idea.
I agree with Bob about the stock exhaust not being that restrictive, but if I change the exhaust manifold I would go ahead and put on a cat back. I don't think you can beat a Z06 cat back for the price you can pick them up for here on the parts for sale section. When I moded my last C5 I spent too much money on useless stuff because I had not yet discovered our beloved forum.

Now if it is performance you are looking for and not HP I would agree with Bob, go high stall TC. That is the most bang for your buck performance addition you can make.

Of course I am disregarding suspension upgrades because the original post did not mention this type of performance upgrade.

Ok now if money is not a consideration and you want suggestions that are similar to your original ideas here is what I would go with.

1. Vararam (best performing CAI)
2. Kooks LTs with high flow cats
3. Magnaflow magnapack dual tip cat back and X-pipe or the Corsa titanium system
4. HP tuner

This is about the same price as your mods. These are just my personal preference, nothing wrong with your choices either. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:18 AM
D C
USMC (retired)
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you very much for a most informative reply from everyone. Everyday is a learning day. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hows this for a plan?