C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big problems with car purchased on this board

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:15 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

when i sell my 01-it will still have the extended warranty-the only way i buy used cars......................
course that doesn't do ya much good now-but i've been buying for 40yrs and i could tell ya some similiar stories where i really got burned..chalk it up to experience..
Old 05-21-2005, 06:18 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This doesn't surprise me. Cartek would not help me with a locked file I bought from them either. I say let a professional tune it, like MTI instead.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by houston-z06
...it seems CARTEK has locked the PCM.

In addition to locking the PCM, CARTEK set an extremely aggresive tune ( read very very lean) and I have a major problem now.

Iam just curious, how did MTI figure out that the tune is bad if they couldn't actually view it? I mean that there could be other reasons for lean condition (i.e. bad injectors, fuel pump etc..).
Old 05-22-2005, 06:46 AM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my question is if Cartek locked the file will MTI be able to flash a new tune into it???or is it that Cartek's tune is not able to be read???
Old 05-22-2005, 07:56 AM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to locking the PCM, CARTEK set an extremely aggresive tune ( read very very lean) and I have a major problem now.

Interesting. It was my impression that Cartek tuned their cars more on the "rich" side, though to be honest, anytime I've seen a dyno sheet from a Cartek car I never seen the A/F plot...so who knows?

Explanation was piston ringland is bad.

Gee, sounds familar. Did you look for a set of instructions in your radiator area?...LOL...j/k...inside joke.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:37 AM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 427CPE
This doesn't surprise me. Cartek would not help me with a locked file I bought from them either. I say let a professional tune it, like MTI instead.
By using tools like a wide band analyzer and Tech II. You can check A/F ratio, timing, etc.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea to do the 383 and move on. Best solution to a bad situation.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:16 PM
houston-z06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
Good idea to do the 383 and move on. Best solution to a bad situation.
yes, that's the way I see it...like I said a few posts above I was going to spend 8K on intercooled s/c this summer - will go 383 instead.

As far as CARTEK and locked tunes it's all water under the bridge, true MTI did not (could not) read the tune -they were giving me their best explanation based on previous shop experiences with this sort of thing.

My most pressing concern at the moment is getting the leaky FPIS headers off and the Kooks installed all within the next 15 days, as I failed the Texas emissions test yesterday.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:45 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I took a 2000FRC I purchased on this board last month to MTI in Houston Tx Friday morning to have the PCM reflashed as I have the check engine light on and cannot clear...it seems CARTEK has locked the PCM.

MTI called me at work this afternoon, said there was a problem with the car.....

I go to the shop and they unscrew my oil cap and smoke is being pushed out at a fairly good velocity...

Explanation was piston ringland is bad.

I bought the car for 25K (not a bad deal with all the aftermarket parts) and now this is going to cost several thousand more .

I am going to put the 383 stroker package in from MTI, and not look behind.

Anyone buying a used performance car buyer beware.....

I flew up east to check the car out no problems and then drove the car back to Houston, had the vehicle a month now - have not raced or gotten on it hard.

I am not going to say what member I bought the car from, this is not a personal attack - just a bummer of a story.....
What did you expect a brand new car ? And your taking a car that had performance mods done at one shop and taking it to another tuner across the country whose business is to sell LS1 performance , of course there not going to say we really wanted to sell you one of our strokers , but this engine is perfect , so we don't want your " business" You bought a " used " high mileage head and cam C5 that I'm very familiar with , Billy , the former owner had three trouble free years with that car , granted he drove it hard , and drove it everyday weather permitting , drove it from NJ to Florida and raced it etc , the car ran like a clock , now you take it to MTI and it has all these problems .

As far as Cartek locking their tune in the PCM , there was/is a certain tuner on the east coast who likes to download other shops programs/tunes if he happens to come across another shops cars , for example a Cartek customer went to this shop for something unrelated to the engine , I think he bought shocks or sway bars , and the wannabe tuner tried to read the computer of the Cartek car right in front of the customer . So after that and a few other incidents , Julio from Cartek started locking his tune . As far as the car being lean , that's a bunch of crap , the car was very well known on the east coast and was raced numerous times at our local tracks and always ran perfect , Cartek tunes there cars to be " track safe" , not a leaned out dyno number .

Last edited by STEALTH 99 C5; 05-22-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:08 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geneus
Interesting. It was my impression that Cartek tuned their cars more on the "rich" side, though to be honest, anytime I've seen a dyno sheet from a Cartek car I never seen the A/F plot...so who knows?

Gee, sounds familar. Did you look for a set of instructions in your radiator area?...LOL...j/k...inside joke.
Don , You might want to ask your tuner , ECS , about broken piston ring lands and leaving supercharger instructions tucked up on top of the radiator .
Old 05-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Originally Posted by STEALTH 99 C5

So MTI did a good job " selling " you a new motor .
Dude, the owner himself said it's all water under the bridge, so why did you make a post that would cause nothing but a . He took his car there when HE noticed a problem. In addition, HE saw smoke coming out of the oil fill cap with his own eyes. Whether it is caused by Cartek tune, Cartek hardware or something else is a different story.

Besides, he said that MTI has 32 motors to build and that should keep them busy for months before his upcoming 383. Do you really think they did fake the whole thing? or is it even worth it, considering the huge line of motors they have in line?

I don't mean to be an MTI cheerleader, but there is no need to downgrade their credibility.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

MTI wouldnt be my first choise as I was lied to about parts in stock and ready to ship next day.guess what 2 weeks later still no parts. Cartek is as good a shop as there is.

Last edited by Z06 Steve; 05-22-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:50 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What did you expect a brand new car ? And your taking a car that had performance mods done at one shop and taking it to another tuner across the country whose business is to sell LS1 performance , of course there not going to say we really wanted to sell you one of our strokers , but this engine is perfect , so we don't want your " business" You bought a " used " high mileage head and cam C5 that I'm very familiar with , Billy , the former owner had three trouble free years with that car , drove it everyday weather permitting , drove it from NJ to Florida and raced it etc , the car ran like a clock , now you take it to MTI and it has all these problems .

As far as Cartek locking their tune in the PCM , there was/is a certain tuner on the east coast who likes to download other shops programs/tunes if he happens to come across another shops cars , for example a Cartek customer went to this shop for something unrelated to the engine , I think he bought shocks or sway bars , and the wannabe tuner tried to read the computer of the Cartek car right in front of the customer . So after that and a few other incidents , Julio from Cartek started locking his tune . As far as the car being lean , that's a bunch of crap , the car was very well known on the east coast and was raced numerous times at our local tracks and always ran perfect , Cartek tunes there cars to be " track safe" , not a leaned out dyno number . So MTI did a good job " selling " you a new motor .

I saw this car race at Bradenton ayear or 2 ago, ran low low 11's, very impressive. we all thought it was a stoker!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06 Steve
MTI wouldnt be my first choise as I was lied to about parts in stock and ready to ship next day.guess what 2 weeks later still no parts.
I've dealt with over 15 different tuners/vendors and I did experience such issue with almost all of them, so what you mentioned can happen with any tuner, not just MTI.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

now you take it to MTI and it has all these problems
What's that old saying, "if the shoe fits, wear it."
Old 05-22-2005, 05:28 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

I guess I just posted to get some feedback, that's all.

I Pm'd the previous owner just looking for some background on this, no ranting or raving or my attorney calls your attorney and nothing changes after 30K and 6 months..

Everything is cool, I was going to put a S/C on this summer... it will be a new forged 383 instead
Let's remember how Houston-Zo6 is handling this. He must be commended for keeping his wits about him. He has never bashed Cartek, but simply relayed some tune information.

I don't really understand Cartek's over-reaction or bashing of MTI. Sounds like there is some bad blood between competitors. Those that are following this thread, keep this in mind.

Houston ZO6 - please keep us posted! You have our respect for you ability to manage this tough situation. (Can't honestly say I could do it)!

Cartek: you have an excellent reputation. Keep to your professionalism. No bashing!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Originally Posted by RCK1999

I don't really understand Cartek's over-reaction or bashing of MTI.
Correction.... Cartek themselves did not bash MTI & would probably never do.

Get notified of new replies

To Big problems with car purchased on this board

Old 05-22-2005, 05:50 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
Correction.... Cartek themselves did not bash MTI & would probably never do.
My apologies - from the way his "bash" was worded, it sounded like Stealth 99 C5 was connected to Cartek. Now I see he is just allied to them. He is certainly welcome to his opinion. The owner of this car is handling things so well, I'd hate to see this thread turn into a bash-fest.

Last edited by RCK1999; 05-22-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:58 PM
MY2KC5
Instructor

Go with the 427 from Lingenfelter!!
Old 05-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
I've dealt with over 15 different tuners/vendors and I did experience such issue with almost all of them, so what you mentioned can happen with any tuner, not just MTI.
well to date MTI is the only one that has clearly lied to me about parts in stock and because of them my project is 2 weeks behind.I hate liar low lifes.
Dude,get a second opinion if they tell you your engine is junk.If they tell you to go with 1 3/4" headers on a stroker thats a joke.1 7/8" is a no brainer.

Quick Reply: Big problems with car purchased on this board