C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stumble and misfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 01:19 AM
Monster231
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumble and misfire problem

I have noticed more and more that my idle has become increasingly rougher. This has been going on over the past year. Fist i thought it was my battery, because i had probelms with it before. I installed a new red top and even changed the connecting bolts on the wires becasue one was cracked. It improved a bit but still there. Next i changed my plugs and wires, i noticed that one of the wires was craked, so i replaced them with msd's and NGK plugs. It got better but still there. I took it to the dealer ship to run the codes and Jason the tech ( he's awesome) said there were no codes what so ever. He told me to try a top engine cleaner. I did that today and noticed a big improvement in performance but, the stubmle and hesitation is there.
The symptoms:
It i put it into a big gear -5th or 6th- at lower speeds it stumble and hesitates all over the place. It fells like a misfire, but the car is very stong at rpms over 2K.
At idle, if i turm my AC on the cars starts to stumble all over the place too. but if i hit the gas, everythings OK. All the problems seem to happen at lower RPMS underload. Any suggestions
Old 05-21-2005, 05:29 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

hmmmm..air leak?? are your connections good between air filters, airbridge and MAF..unmetered air could cause it..you changed plugs and wires already so....
Old 05-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Secondary ignition voltage (high voltage from the coils to the plugs) will not usualy set a code that is readable on the DIC)

Try to get the car to stumble. When it is running bad, see if your check engine light is flashing? When it is flashing, check the DTC codes and see if you get a PCM 0300 code. That indicates that the PCM has detected an engine mis-fire. If the mis fire is bad enough and present for lone enough the code will set and remain in memory.

If you see the P0300 code there are a few thing that can cause that code. Cracked plug, wire not on all of the way, damaged wire, bad coil, ect ect.

When your car is under heavy load the coil needs to produce the most voltage to fire the cylinders. Under light loads the voltage to fire the plugs is low. If there is ANYTHING wrong with your secondary ignition system, it will show up under heavy load. Try spraying water on one plug and coil at a time and see if it causes a miss It should NOT hurt anything and may show you where the bad component is.

Here is what happened to one of my plugs during a header install and it caused the same symptoms.

Did you use any silicone dielectric grease on your sparkplug wire boots??

Please let me know how you make out.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

great post, I will check those tommorow!!
Old 05-21-2005, 04:33 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

if you have HPT u can monitor cylinder misfire counts. If you want im in elgin I can scan it for u and figure out what is going on or at least pinpoint it to a cylinder/bank.

Dave
Old 05-21-2005, 04:38 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
if you have HPT u can monitor cylinder misfire counts. If you want im in elgin I can scan it for u and figure out what is going on or at least pinpoint it to a cylinder/bank.

Dave

Exactly, this would be my first step, you could have a coil failing possibly. But you need to know where to look.
-=Rick
Old 05-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

Dave
Thats awesome..... I think ill take you up on that, can you PM me or email me a number where i can get in touch with you
Old 05-21-2005, 08:22 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

removed #

Last edited by T_Vert; 07-14-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I finally solved a similar sounding problem. I had the same symptoms for quite a while with no codes. It kept getting worse. Finally it I code a code indicating a problem with the rear knock sensor. I just replaced both knock sensors and my car runs perfectly now. <whew>

Apparently failed sensors are particularly common for those that wash their engines. (There is a TSB out).
Old 05-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Monster231
Safety Car

Im in elgin but will be going to palatine tonight. I'll take my laptop and my cable with just in case.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I will give you a buzz early this week to see if we can hook up.

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 07-14-2022 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Removed phone number
Old 05-23-2005, 11:01 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

ill be in kentucky wed to sunday
dave

Get notified of new replies

To Stumble and misfire problem

Quick Reply: Stumble and misfire problem