C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think this is BS, I want to write to GM, please help....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:19 PM
f430killer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think this is BS, I want to write to GM, please help....

http://www.zo6vette.com/forums/show...8636#post878636

I purchased the car used in late 03 with 10k miles, it ran great for 6 months and then I stored it for a year as I was deployed to Afghanistan with the Army. I returned 3 weeks ago pulled it out of storage and other than a dead battery everything was fine. After 700 miles I got the messages on the DIC as described in the link above.

I take it to the dealer and it turns out it is indeed the dreaded $1200. abs module not a fuse or anything else. I had to pay out of my pocket as it was beyond warranty (02 model). It bothers me that the car only had 17k miles and an expensive electronic piece of equipment is failing on it. There are a few others here in the same boat but with more mileage. I wouldnt be bothered by this if the car had 100k miles, even 70k miles but 17k miles? Get the hell outta here!

Where and who do I need to write to? I think GM should reimburse me for this, seriously.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

You should have contacted Gene from Karshop, he would have sold you one for a coule hundred bucks
Old 04-24-2005, 08:51 PM
f430killer
Instructor

Great, I had a feeling I could get the part elsewhere. I was going to try GMpartsdirect.com too. At the time I had just had the diagnostics run on it and I was presented with that solution, and the part is coming in next wednesday at the latest. Regardless I still wanna go after the general for this....
Old 04-24-2005, 09:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Just my .02 but a couple things.

Cancel the order for the part and get your money back and check with Gene from Karshop or one of the other forum vendors. At the very least, shop around some more for the part.

Secondly, when auto manufacturers decide on how they will set the terms of a warranty, they take into account both time and mileage. You should have bought an extended warranty. Still not too late to buy one.

Its not just mileage which takes a toll on a car, its age too. Vettes are warrantied for 3 years for a lot of reasons. They thought it out. And your car is a little more than 3 years old. Once you get past 3 years, the odds of something expensive going wrong go up. GM knows that.

Lets say you let your car sit for another two or three years and hardly ever drove it. Should GM be obligated to make warranty repairs on a 6 year old car even if it only had 17K on it? How about a 10 year old car with 18,000 miles on it?

People too often get caught up in "how many miles are on it". You see it when they purchase and sell used cars, and this is in large part the motivation for the unscrupulous practice of rolling back an odometer.

But the age of the car and it's components come into play when the manufacturer decides on how he is going to structure the terms of the warranty too.

They know about how long in time as well as how many miles it is going to take before things start going bad. Thats why they say, 36 months or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-24-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:33 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f430killer
http://www.zo6vette.com/forums/show...8636#post878636

I purchased the car used in late 03 with 10k miles, it ran great for 6 months and then I stored it for a year as I was deployed to Afghanistan with the Army. I returned 3 weeks ago pulled it out of storage and other than a dead battery everything was fine. After 700 miles I got the messages on the DIC as described in the link above.

I take it to the dealer and it turns out it is indeed the dreaded $1200. abs module not a fuse or anything else. I had to pay out of my pocket as it was beyond warranty (02 model). It bothers me that the car only had 17k miles and an expensive electronic piece of equipment is failing on it. There are a few others here in the same boat but with more mileage. I wouldnt be bothered by this if the car had 100k miles, even 70k miles but 17k miles? Get the hell outta here!

Where and who do I need to write to? I think GM should reimburse me for this, seriously.

Getting an extended warrantee is a wise move with this car.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default warranty

ck.the in service date of the car,if you haven't done so already,to see when the 3 years is up.you might have some months left.maybe not.the gmpp warranty would be the way to go.good luck.autocheck or carfax for inservice date,or ask the dealer to get it for you.thanks for being over there,by the way!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:30 PM
aggie03
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EB20003, there is definitely a lot of logic in what you are saying. Nonetheless I would be just as angry because even if my car was 20 years old, with mileage that low, the wear and tear on the car doesn't justify the abs module going bad.

Having said that, as a manufacturer three years is the industry standard and if I was building a car I probably wouldn’t offer any more time.

The true complaint here should be in the quality of the parts (which ultimately means the car). Obviously I love Vettes as we all do, but I knew when I bought my car it’s wouldn’t be as trouble free as my Honda. Bottom line, I think you complaint is very valid and if you are very charismatic and talk to the right people, hopefully the general will take care of you.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:50 AM
cenzo
Drifting

[QUOTE=EB20003]

Lets say you let your car sit for another two or three years and hardly ever drove it. Should GM be obligated to make warranty repairs on a 6 year old car even if it only had 17K on it? How about a 10 year old car with 18,000 miles on it?
/QUOTE]

Yep, they certainly should!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Default warranty

Hyundai does!and they're way less than a vette!and there is a big part of GM'S trouble's!!!they just don't get it!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Special K
Safety Car

[QUOTE=cenzo]
Originally Posted by EB20003

/QUOTE]

Let's get real here. No way should they. Mine came with a 36/36 warrenty.

To quote jessem "thanks for being over there,by the way!" And I add my thanks. We owe our service people a huge debt. And I think GM should help. Do they know you were serving our country which is why the warrenty expired?

I will forward this to someone that may be able to help you. Let's hope they can. If not, cancel the part and shop around.

Bob

Last edited by Korreck; 04-25-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:52 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=cenzo]

/QUOTE]

Why???? If they are going to do that then why not give a 18 year or 36,000 mile, whichever cames first warranty?

Or a lifetime warranty?

Old 04-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Why???? If they are going to do that then why not give a 18 year or 36,000 mile, whichever cames first warranty?

Or a lifetime warranty?

As much as I respect and appreciate you for serving I have to agree with EB20003 on this one. It is not GM's responsibility to fix a out of warranty car. I could not hurt to ask - who knows, your request may end up with someone who wants to do something nice for a serviceman. But INHO They are goiong well above and beyond if they do.

All cars break - Hondas too. If the Honda sits and its ABS module goes bad (YES they have trouble too - no car is perfect) and the car is out of warranty - you are paying to fix it - that is just part of owning a car.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:18 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Warranty should be first and foremost a mileage issue. If there is a time component, it oughta be more way liberal than they presently are. I would have no problem with a 36000mi/6 year warranty. What's the big deal? Speaks volumes for American Mfg reliability.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:28 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Default w

Old 04-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cenzo
Warranty should be first and foremost a mileage issue. If there is a time component, it oughta be more way liberal than they presently are. I would have no problem with a 36000mi/6 year warranty. What's the big deal? Speaks volumes for American Mfg reliability.
Vince, heat and humidity are two factors that must be considered. We also knew what we bought when we bought it. And it came with a 36/36.

Instead of discussing what we don't have and should have let's help him resolve his problem. I have contacted someone that may be able to take care of his problem. Does anyone else know of someone that may help him?

Bob
Old 04-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Heretic
Pro

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
As much as I respect and appreciate you for serving I have to agree with EB20003 on this one. It is not GM's responsibility to fix a out of warranty car. I could not hurt to ask - who knows, your request may end up with someone who wants to do something nice for a serviceman. But INHO They are goiong well above and beyond if they do.

All cars break - Hondas too. If the Honda sits and its ABS module goes bad (YES they have trouble too - no car is perfect) and the car is out of warranty - you are paying to fix it - that is just part of owning a car.
If the dude gets deployed, the only right thing to do is suspend the warranty when he is gone.

GM is tripping over their d!ck, and its crap like this thats pushing them down.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:20 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cenzo
Respectfully disagree.

Time is just as important, more so depending on the equipment you are talking about. As far as your block and pistons go...mileage is probably paramount. For electronics, rubber seals, hoses, parts sucseptible to corrosion...time can be of the essense.

Warranty periods are not plucked out of thin air, they are derived through experience and reliability testing. Extended warranties cost money because GM wants to offset their costs in fixing cars outside of basic warranty...because these cars will require it more often.

Get notified of new replies

To I think this is BS, I want to write to GM, please help....

Old 04-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Special K
Safety Car

I tried but am unable to help you. This is the reply I got from a dealer I thought may have been able to help you. I suggest you follow his recommendation.

Bob

"This is a bad situation but the warranty is 36/36 and that is it. He should have bought a warranty before he left, I know he had other things on his mind but he has family at home who could have handled it for him.

I have had this happen with about 10 servicepeople that the Dad purchased the warranty for them while overseas. The only solution is to call customer service with Chevrolet and seek help that way."
Old 04-25-2005, 12:20 PM
cenzo
Drifting

Originally Posted by yellow01
Respectfully disagree.

Warranty periods are not plucked out of thin air, they are derived through experience and reliability testing. Extended warranties cost money because GM wants to offset their costs in fixing cars outside of basic warranty...because these cars will require it more often.
Thank you sir, you've made my point better than I did. Which is...

After decades of experience and reliability testing the best that GM can offer is a 3yr/36000 mile warranty - on the whole car!
That, my friend, is a sad statement.

But I'm hopeful the Kid will get some help.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
bremillard
Instructor

>If the dude gets deployed, the only right thing to do is suspend the warranty when he is gone.

GM is tripping over their d!ck, and its crap like this thats pushing them down<

Truer words were never spoken. I had a customer service issue with G.M. a couple of years ago. I purchased a brand new 2002 Z06 to replace my 2001 that G.M. obsoleted in one year with with the many improvements they made in the second model year. I was already upset with the General but loved the car so much I bought the second one. I did this deal online from a large Corvette oriented dealer in the Detroit area with the initials L.S. I talked to L.S. for a couple of weeks negotiating the best deal possible. The details were all set the Friday before Labor Day 2002. GMAC was offering 2.9% financing that was set to expire the last day of August so L.S. told me that if I didn't make the down payment by Sunday I would miss out of the 2.9. I told the salesman that I was willing to take that chance as I was pretty sure that the 2.9 would be reupped or even bettered. Some time late Friday the salesman called me at work to tell me that he had it on reliable information the the 2.9% was going away and I would have to give him a Visa # for a deposit to make sure I didn't miss out. They were not going to be open at all Labor Day weekend so it was right then or never. I very hesitantly gave him the # and the deal was done. What was I greeted with in the paper the following Monday? A new incentive program with 0% financing. This cost me $3500.00. Even though my car wasn't shipped until the following Thursday the deal was official for 2.9%. After letters to G.M. G.M.A.C and Les Stanford(oops I said it) the bottom line was fungoo charry. It took me quite awhile to even like my Corvette after this. I'm not surprised that the general is losing it's customer loyalty. Don't expect them to break tradition and "do the right thing".-Bob

Quick Reply: I think this is BS, I want to write to GM, please help....