C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help for removing Tire Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:42 PM
jinkikim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help for removing Tire Pressure Sensor

I ordered C6 Chrome wheels (18 x 8.5 & 19 x 10) and wheels (BGF KDW2 255/40/18 & 295/35/19) for my C5.
I have to pull out tire pressure sensors from stock wheels and reinstall them into new wheels since I want to install them by myself before mounting and balancing.
I heard that each sensor should be identical position to avoid potential problems when I reinstall them on the new wheels (for example, the sensor from stock FR wheel to new FR wheel) . That's why I want to do that by myself.

Here is what I want to know.

Can I easily remove the sensor by unscrewing retainer and depleting air in the stock tire?
Do I need any special tool to do that?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:53 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jinkikim
I ordered C6 Chrome wheels (18 x 8.5 & 19 x 10) and wheels (BGF KDW2 255/40/18 & 295/35/19) for my C5.
I have to pull out tire pressure sensors from stock wheels and reinstall them into new wheels since I want to install them by myself before mounting and balancing.
I heard that each sensor should be identical position to avoid potential problems when I reinstall them on the new wheels (for example, the sensor from stock FR wheel to new FR wheel) . That's why I want to do that by myself.

Here is what I want to know.

Can I easily remove the sensor by unscrewing retainer and depleting air in the stock tire?
Do I need any special tool to do that?

Thank you in advance.
You'll need to break a bead on each tire to get the sensor out. The sensor is held into the rim by a retaining nut. Let the air out of the tire, break the bead, remove the nut and you can reach through and remove the sensor. Some folks have the tires taken off the car and push the sensor into the deflated tire, then let the tire guy break the bead.

It makes things easier if you replace the sensors in the same location on the car. That way you do not have to go through the sensor "re-learn" procedure. This procedure uses a programming option on the DIC and uses a magnet to activate each wheel sensor in a specific sequence while in training mode. There is a good tech tip on the forum to walk you through the steps. It is something that you can do. No need to take it to a dealer.

Enjoy the new rims & tires!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:06 PM
jinkikim
Instructor

Thanks a million, RCK1999!!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:17 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

"Breaking the bead" is very difficult without a tire changing machine. I suspect the run-flats are even more difficult than standard tires.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:07 PM
jinkikim
Instructor

I didn't know that. So it should be done by professional guy...
Thanks white90conv!!!

I so much love this corvetteforum!!!
Old 04-23-2005, 08:22 AM
jimcork1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just changed a TPS last week. The tire dealer was very gracious in breaking the top of the tire down so I could get at the sensor. I did not ask him to change the sensor I told him I would do it. There is an o-ring that you should probably replace. They are readily available at hardware stores,, and your local dealer. Unfortunately I don't remember the size. A deep socked that will fit the nut and a 3/8" drive is all that is needed. You will see the o-ring after you remove the sensor. It is about a 1 minute job to change the sensor.

I also put a light film of refrigerant oil on the o-ring to help it seat. Hope this helps..
Old 04-23-2005, 08:54 AM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimcork1
I just changed a TPS last week. The tire dealer was very gracious in breaking the top of the tire down so I could get at the sensor. I did not ask him to change the sensor I told him I would do it. There is an o-ring that you should probably replace. They are readily available at hardware stores,, and your local dealer. Unfortunately I don't remember the size. A deep socked that will fit the nut and a 3/8" drive is all that is needed. You will see the o-ring after you remove the sensor. It is about a 1 minute job to change the sensor.

I also put a light film of refrigerant oil on the o-ring to help it seat. Hope this helps..
Its good to change the o-rings on general principle. Remember that there are 2 different versions of the sensors. An older model for '97-'00 and a newer model for '01-'04. They ARE NOT interchangeable. Only the older model has a replacable o-ring. The newer models have an integrated gasket.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:14 AM
2kbluestreak
Burning Brakes

11mm deep well socket. Don't get agressive when torqueing the sensors in the new wheels or you'll extrude the O-Rings.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:05 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I agree - carefully does it.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:16 PM
RCK1999
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ben dover
I agree - carefully does it.
Torque spec. is 106 IN. LBS = about 9 FT LBS (not very tight)!

Get notified of new replies

To Need help for removing Tire Pressure Sensor

Quick Reply: Need help for removing Tire Pressure Sensor