C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column Lock just happened to me

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 04:00 PM
rcwalters
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Column Lock just happened to me

OK, I read the sticky at the top of the page. However, I still have questions.

First, since I have a 1999 MN6, and according to the sticky, all they do is reprogram it to cut off the fuel above 2mph, how does that fix my column lock problem?

Second, since it is out of warranty, are they going to charge me for fixing it, even though it is a recall?

Third, what will the fix be to make the car go again (maybe this is #1 re-asked again, I still don't understand the FIX part of the recall equation?)
Old 04-14-2005, 04:19 PM
blkvett01
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get the column lock by-pass kit and be done with it! Just my two cents.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:14 PM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by rcwalters

First, since I have a 1999 MN6, and according to the sticky, all they do is reprogram it to cut off the fuel above 2mph, how does that fix my column lock problem?

Second, since it is out of warranty, are they going to charge me for fixing it, even though it is a recall?

Third, what will the fix be to make the car go again (maybe this is #1 re-asked again, I still don't understand the FIX part of the recall equation?)
I believe that for the MN6 they do disassemble and check for proper alignment of the column lock system but the problem is that then they put it back together so it could still fail later. The CLB effectively disconnects the locking mechanism so it can no longer lock.

The system must be unlocked when you start the CLB install though. And all recall work would be done at no charge, unless they found something in there that was broken.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by rcwalters

There is no factory fix under the recall for 6-speeds that will keep the column from locking. The car is already programed to shutoff fuel if it cannot tell what position the column lock is in, or if it fails in the locked position. The reprogram just makes sure that it will do that under all conditions. There have been cases where under low voltage the BCM did not have time to tell the PCM to shut off the fuel and you could still drive the car with the column locked.
I think they have to honor the recall even if it is out of warranty since it is a safety issue.
To fix it, install an aftermarket CLB, OR buy the GM Harness K kit for the automatics and install that yourself. The GM kit requires that you remove the lockplate to complete the installation, but it has the advantage of keeping the actuator in the circuit to maintain the correct resistance in the BCM circuits. The CLB takes the actuator out of the circuit completely and there is a possibility it could eventually damage the BCM. Good luck....

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 04-14-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:27 PM
jeff1surfs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clb

I took my 1999 FRC to the dealer for the blown oil pressure sensor, the dealer ran my vin then called to inform me of the recall on the column lock. They were going to fix it for free, charge GM probably.
I declined the repair as I read the horror stories of the gremlins created after the recall repair.
I had the CLB anyways, bottom line buy the CLB. I bought mine from Thunderracing.com, installed it myself. no further issues.
Good luck
Jeff

Save Da Wave

Get notified of new replies

To Column Lock just happened to me

Quick Reply: Column Lock just happened to me