C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering sensor, am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:56 PM
snafubar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering sensor, am I screwed?

I had a friend replace the harmonic balancer (the original wobbled) on my car and it seems the steering wheel was moved during the process.
The D.I.C. now says "service vehicle soon"
After some searching here on the forum, I believe it is because the steering sensor is in the wrong orientation.

How do I correct this?
where is the steering sensor?
How do I align it correctly?

Thanks, Steve
Old 04-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the steering position sensor is at the base of the steering shaft. If the wheel was left free during your install and it was allowed to travel to the extreme right or left; you may have damaged the sensor; in which case you will need to replace it. I would try realigning your wheel first and see what happens.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:04 AM
hrdtopv8
Pro

Default Steering Sensor

I suffered the same problem twice. The first time I replaced, but the second time I followed the advice below:

This is an easy fix (if it's 180* out) if you have a simple volt meter, if so:
With the wheels pointing straight, probe the light blue wire on the INNERMOST position closest to the center of the car, and see what voltage it is showing. (this is under the dash where the steering column enters the engine bay) If it's not showing ~2.4 Volts with the wheels pointing straight ahead then disconnect the steering shaft in the engine bay and rotate the steering wheel one complete turn counter clockwise and take a reading, if it's not 2.4V then rotate the wheel TWO turns counter clockwise and it should read 2.4V if no avail just rotate the steering wheel until you get a reading of 2.4V, reconnect the steering shaft in the engine bay and you're done.
AND it worked for me.. My sensor was not broke, but rather out of whack. I advice anyone who has this problem to try probing the sensor FIRST to save the hassle of wasting money and going through the repair.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by hrdtopv8
I suffered the same problem twice. The first time I replaced, but the second time I followed the advice below:

AND it worked for me.. My sensor was not broke, but rather out of whack. I advice anyone who has this problem to try probing the sensor FIRST to save the hassle of wasting money and going through the repair.
Thats good info

If you are unable or unwilling to do this then you have to take the car to the dealership where they'll resynch the sensor using a TechII.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:12 PM
snafubar
Racer

Originally Posted by hrdtopv8

Thanks, I had some free time today and did the voltage trick.
Fixed my problem in no time.

I really appreciate this forum.
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To steering sensor, am I screwed?

Quick Reply: steering sensor, am I screwed?