C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire through the firewall.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:17 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Wire through the firewall.

I'd like to run a small wire through the firewall to the engine compartment from the passenger compartment. Anybody familiar with this enough to know if there is an existing hole I can poke through without having to drill a new hole? An existing grommet that would have room enough and be accessible enough for one more small wire? I don't want to tear the dash all apart to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:23 PM
xlr8shn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Haven't done it myself but on the passenger side is inside the fender well is the cars computer and there is a grommet where the wires run. Basically, remove your front passenger wheel. Remove the inner fender cover ( a couple of 7mm hex screws and boom you have access to that area. You may have to remove the battery to get to the grommet area. From the inside, remove the floor board access panel and the grommet is somewhere in there. I looked and couldn't find it when I was running the cables for my wideband cables. Sooo, plan B for me.

Plan B, despite mentioning you didn't want to drill a hole, remove the dead pedal from the drivers side. Nice little hiding place. From the outside, remove the wheel and the same 7mm inside the drivers inner fender well cover. Made a nice neat hole and placed a gromment from a hardware store in it. Ran the cables through and used silicon rubber to seal it. Good luck. Jim K.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I remember someone posting about running wires through the grommet that the hood release cable runs through. Check that out.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'11

Check behind the battery. There is a large harness running through. poke a little hole in the grommet and run your wires through there too.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:29 AM
MSIP
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the third picture in this post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=807383

The grommet mentioned is visible when you pull the battery. I got 4ga and 12ga wires through it, no problem. Just stick a long screwdriver through, tape your wire to it and pull it back out. Note this is on the passenger side.

HTH...msip
Old 04-02-2005, 10:42 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you everyone. You're the greatest.

HOLY $#&* MSIP! Looks like you went through a little trouble.

I'm sure I will find one of the suggestions to be perfect for me.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I hope you didnt poke any holes yet! Here is a simple and non damaging method of running wires, hoses ect from the interior into eng compt.

I used a 3' length of stainless steel wire (wire clothes hanger will work) and bent one end into a tight "U" shaped loop with the end closed so that it would not catch on anything.

Then I taped the wires that I wanted to run into the paseengers foot well on to the other end of the steel wire with electrical tape.

Slip the looped end of the steel wire under the large rubber gromet that the MAIN harness runs through and retreive the hanger from the other side. Simply pull the wires through and and enclose them in plastic wire loom.

Almost looks factory!

If you have questions, please let me know.

Bill C

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-02-2005 at 12:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wire through the firewall.

Quick Reply: Wire through the firewall.