C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems running 160 thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 AM
fstrthnu01
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default problems running 160 thermostat?

I live in the south where it is pretty decent weather all year...Lately I've been noticeing that the vette is running a little hot to me, the DIC is telling me that the coolant temps are in the 230's no matter how I'm driving the car at the time. So I'm thinking that the stock themostat is prolly stuck/not opening all the way? Anyway, I want it to run cooler and was wondering if any tuning needs to be done to run a 160 stat? Or can I plug it in and go? Thanks!!!

Oh, and I found this at 2carpros.com: (any truth?!?!)

THERMOSTAT

Question: 2001 Chevy/Corvette LS1 mileage: 6000. I'm thinking of replacing my vehicle's thermostat from stock 192 degrees to a 160 or a 178 low temp thermostat. I live in Florida and during summer, the vehicle runs hot, doesn't overheat, just runs hot. I know some of the benefits of a low temp thermostat, but what are some of the problems that this change may cause?

Answer: Your engine computer management system is designed to work with the engine at 192 degrees. A lower temperature thermostat may keep the engine in open loop not allowing the computer to control the engine. This creates drivability problems.

- - - - -http://www.2carpros.com/topics/thermo.htm
Old 03-30-2005, 12:13 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had any problems with my 160 tstat.

Mark
Old 03-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Not an expert here....but
1. check to make sure you don't have anything stuck up against your radiator

2. If car used to run cooler you could always replace with a stock stat

3. You are supposed to reset fan off/on temps with a lower stat

Old 03-30-2005, 12:17 AM
loudsam
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had any problems with my 160 degree thermostate and I live in NW Wisconsin. It's cold there ALOT!!! Plus, Lingenfelter put it in with the package they did for me, and I gotta believe THEY know what they're doing. You should probably have the pcm programmed to turn on your fans at lower temps too, tho'.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:29 AM
fstrthnu01
Racer

Originally Posted by loudsam
I haven't had any problems with my 160 degree thermostate and I live in NW Wisconsin. It's cold there ALOT!!! Plus, Lingenfelter put it in with the package they did for me, and I gotta believe THEY know what they're doing. You should probably have the pcm programmed to turn on your fans at lower temps too, tho'.
First of all thanks for the help...but how do you reprogram the fan temps? LS1 edit? Or can I get away without messing with the fans? Or should I just buy a OEM replacement?

Mark, did you have your fans reset?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:31 AM
fstrthnu01
Racer

Originally Posted by Macinamouth
Not an expert here....but
1. check to make sure you don't have anything stuck up against your radiator

2. If car used to run cooler you could always replace with a stock stat

3. You are supposed to reset fan off/on temps with a lower stat

I checked this morning while the car was on the lift and nothing is stuck up there...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 AM
fstrthnu01
Racer

Wait a min...I should've asked this first: What is everybody else's temps under NORMAL driving?! Maybe I'm imagineing that it used to run cooler...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
loudsam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fstrthnu01
First of all thanks for the help...but how do you reprogram the fan temps? LS1 edit? Or can I get away without messing with the fans? Or should I just buy a OEM replacement?

I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't HAVE TO set the fans to come on sooner if you were to put in a 160 degree thermotate and still see a benefit from the colder thermostate. If the coolant starts circulating sooner then it wouldn't have the tendency to get hot as fast and may help you to reduce the temperature. Irregardless, if your thermostate is stuck or only partially open, it wouldn't hurt IMO to install the 160 degree thermostate even if you can't at this time reprogram the pcm. However, if your thermotate is stuck totally shut, I think you would be boiling the coolant, and you would totally overheat. Before LPE put in my 160 degree thermotate, I saw real high coolant temps in the summer. I can't remember just how high, but I'm certain I saw at least 220 degrees.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:43 AM
chriskaw7r
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fstrthnu01

I have a fan controller that lets you turn on the fans seperate from pcm controll. Its all automatic all you have to do is install it. I have ls1 edit now and have this sitting on the work bench. I would sell it for $40 plus shipping.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:24 AM
BEEN THERE
Racer

160 is WAY too cold for an aluminum motor
Old 03-30-2005, 06:03 AM
see5
Safety Car

Even with properly controled fans and 160 stat you will not likely get below 175 > 180 in warm weather.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:08 AM
vetteamerica
Racer

My car ran at 220-230 before the 160 stat install, now runs at 190-195 consistantly.
I have not been tuned "YET" and did not do anything with the fans.
No problems at all just a cooler running LS1.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:09 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LS1 was designed to run at those temperatures -- the performance issue isn't how hot the engine block temperature is (within reason), so much as how hot the air is coming into the intake. Save your money on the thermostat, and get an intercooler instead.

Like the gent above said, it's an aluminum motor, and designed for those temperatures -- even in the south.

Also, remember, you want the engine at least above 212 degrees for some length of time every time you drive. Condensation = bad -- get the temps up to where any residual water in the block can boil off.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:18 AM
vetteamerica
Racer

Originally Posted by EHS
The LS1 was designed to run at those temperatures -- the performance issue isn't how hot the engine block temperature is (within reason), so much as how hot the air is coming into the intake. Save your money on the thermostat, and get an intercooler instead.

Like the gent above said, it's an aluminum motor, and designed for those temperatures -- even in the south.

Also, remember, you want the engine at least above 212 degrees for some length of time every time you drive. Condensation = bad -- get the temps up to where any residual water in the block can boil off.

A 160 stat is NOT a waste of $ at all, cost approx $60.00 and installs in a half hour in your driveway and makes a huge diff.
How much is an intercooler installed?? Your talking in the thousands!!!

230 degree is WAY to hot for any motor to run.
Go with the simple solution that is tried and true.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:32 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteamerica

A 160 stat is NOT a waste of $ at all, cost approx $60.00 and installs in a half hour in your driveway and makes a huge diff.
How much is an intercooler installed?? Your talking in the thousands!!!

230 degree is WAY to hot for any motor to run.
Go with the simple solution that is tried and true.
The bit about the intercooler was tongue in cheek.

Here read this:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/cooling.htm

"Thermostats and Engine Temperature
Many mistakingly think that all there is to decreasing temperature of the engine is to decrease the temperature rating of the thermostat. If the cooling system cannot keep up with the heat the engine is generating, a cooler thermostat will help precious little. The second misconception that if some engine cooling is good, more must be better. Most engines run optimally at the recommended factory temperatures. Significant departures from these recommendations are most often counterproductive. The temperature is critical to the efficiency of the burn of the fuel and the tolerances of the motor itself. 180-195 degrees F is common on conventional engines. Modern motors see higher temperatures, mostly due to fuel and emissions efficacy.

The bottom line, the car is designed to run at higher temperatures than the old iron block cars.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:15 AM
BEEN THERE
Racer

get a real radiator and solve the real problem t-stat is a band-aid
Old 03-30-2005, 10:21 AM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you considered changing your coolant?

Get notified of new replies

To problems running 160 thermostat?

Old 03-30-2005, 11:09 AM
fstrthnu01
Racer

Very very interesting responses...you guys gave me alot to consider. That being said I'm sure GM put the 192 temp stat in there for a reason...

But, I drive the car pretty hard and in a month or so the ambient air temps should be in the 90's or more...So I don't see the 160 stat really hurting me OR helping me that much, at all because I'm sure the engine will reach the 190 degree operating temp anyway...especially sitting in traffic with the a/c on !
Old 03-30-2005, 11:11 AM
fstrthnu01
Racer

Originally Posted by sprinter
Have you considered changing your coolant?
Yeah, I'm going to have it flushed and through some water wetter in there ...
Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

I am also in South Florida...and since the temps have been on the rise the last few months- so has my 97's temps...I average 230-234 under normal stop and go traffic, even get in the 230's on the highway at normal speeds from 65 to 85 MPH...I took a good 2 hour trip across Alligator Alley and saw temps from 225-234 and every number in between...I think those numbers seem a little high...that puts the gauge more then 3/4's of the way up the reading scale, and it scares me sometimes with an aluminum motor...when I had my 94 Vert- I also had high temps- changed the coolant- nothing happened, nothing blocking the front shroud either...I put a Hypertech Program on it that was supposed to have a 160 degree stat (didn't change the stat) and it kept my fans on almost all the time...never had a high temp issue again.

I also notice that the other temps (Oil, Trany etc..) rise and fall like the coolant temps on the 97...my oil was well over 230 in stop and go traffic... I would be interested in the 160 stat results on yours...

Cheers!

Quick Reply: problems running 160 thermostat?