C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

service colum lock msg on A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 08:24 PM
99SilverC5A4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default service colum lock msg on A4

my c5 is a stock A4 with 60,000 miles and today when i got in it to leave i put it in reverse and backed up some and pushed the brake the car shout off and the display said to remove key and wait 10 seconds, so i did and now the display said service colum lock. but the wheel is not locked into place and the car sounds fine but move it eather in drive or reverse and press on the brakes and car dies, also the ac controle lights will not come on the ac still workes but no light with head lights. are these related? need much help thhanks.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:59 PM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

make sure that your recall has been performed PROPERLY or try one of the column lock removal procedures that some of the do-it-yourselfer guys do. It seems that almost everybody has problems removing the column lock sucessfuly. I'm just leaving mine up to chevy.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:40 PM
loudsam
Burning Brakes

I have an a4 and when I got the same message, my column locked and could not be moved. I eventually got it unlocked and installed a column lock bypass from Thunder Racing. Since then, I've never had a problem. I've gotten several recall notices from Chevy, but I refuse to have them do the recall.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:13 PM
MassaRusty
Racer

My car had the column lock recall done when I bought it. If yours has not had the recall done, that would be something to get done soon. If the recall has been done to your A4, the wheel will still turn when the car is off. The column simply doesn't lock anymore after the recall.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:40 AM
99SilverC5A4
Intermediate

Default recall!!

the recall must have been done because wheel will turn with no key.
but why this code for colum lock?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Service Column Lock for Dummies
Old 03-14-2005, 09:18 AM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by 99SilverC5A4
my c5 is a stock A4 with 60,000 miles and today when i got in it to leave i put it in reverse and backed up some and pushed the brake the car shout off and the display said to remove key and wait 10 seconds, so i did and now the display said service colum lock. but the wheel is not locked into place and the car sounds fine but move it eather in drive or reverse and press on the brakes and car dies, also the ac controle lights will not come on the ac still workes but no light with head lights. are these related? need much help thhanks.
Hum, that sounds interesting. I think the things I would suggest you try/check are to make sure the resister in your key (that little pellet like thing on the shaft of the key) is clean - wipe it off with some alcohol. If you have a second key you might try that too. The other thing would be to check you battery to ensure it is charged up good. I do not see how the AC display and the security system fault are related, but maybe it's just too early in th morning. You should also puul any codes to see what is happening.

Get notified of new replies

To service colum lock msg on A4

Quick Reply: service colum lock msg on A4