C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Securing car in an enclosed trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 08:01 AM
JerryL
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Securing car in an enclosed trailer?

I used my enclosed trailer for the first time on a trip to South Carolina. On my open trailer I used over-the-wheel straps and never had a problem. On the trip to SC I used 2 over-the-wheel straps in the front and 2 T-hook connections in the rear using the factory slots - both front and rear were crossed. The hand brake was not engaged and the car was in neutral. With this configuration the car would loosen up the straps very quickly and move around. Also the left rear hook connector punched a hole in the trailer floor. So how are you guys securing your C5s in an enclosed trailer? I'd appreciate first hand experience here, no theories.

Last edited by JerryL; 03-09-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

t-hooks placed in the jacking puck holes. and 5000lbs straps

from Northerntool or any tow truck supply place

then cross the straps in an X pattern

X
X

Right front hole to left front tie down point
left front hole to right front tie down point

Straps over the wheels can still allow the car to roll. You do not want your car in gear on a trailer as your car will rock slightly
Straps on the A-arms WILL eventully bend the A-arm.
Some ppl allow their car to use its suppension by strapping down to the wheels. IMHO, I dont like that feeling. I have my car very secure to the deck so it will not go anywhere

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-09-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

A variation of the "over the tire" way to tie down is this. Use 24" axle straps and place them through the wheel. Crisscross the tie down staps and attached them to axle staps. I marked my wheels with tape to see if there was any shifting...none was found. The car still rides on its own suspension and pulling the trailer is much smoother. I have been using this method for over three years and 35000 miles in an enclosed trailer. Of course, I never drive over 80.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

T-hooks are a great way to go. SOme people strap the a-arms without problems.

VR
Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 PM
03LingenfelterC5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, cannot help with the mounting point on the trailer, that obviously must be beefy enough. I used a rental 8' x 20' dual axle trailer to haul down my 'vette to Lingenfelter and back with a strap looped throught each wheel back to the connection points-no "X". Tightened them to snug and then put the car in gear with the parking brake on. Worked great for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Securing car in an enclosed trailer?

Quick Reply: Securing car in an enclosed trailer?