C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 08:48 PM
RichardCranium
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2001 went 20 years without an issue, or anyone installing the LMC5. That streak of luck went away Thursday after I washed my car, I got the "remove key for 10 seconds" message, then it locked.

Unlock and LCM5 are on the way.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:03 AM
RichardCranium
Instructor

Has Richard with Compliance responded to anyone else lately? I installed the LCM5, and am still getting the "Pull key for 10 seconds" message every single time I get in the car.

I'm familiar with the brown wire mod, and have already tried that and was unsuccessful. I'm really anxious to hear from him in some way, I've emailed through his site and through Ebay.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:12 PM
marks146
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardCranium
Has Richard with Compliance responded to anyone else lately? I installed the LCM5, and am still getting the "Pull key for 10 seconds" message every single time I get in the car.

I'm familiar with the brown wire mod, and have already tried that and was unsuccessful. I'm really anxious to hear from him in some way, I've emailed through his site and through Ebay.

I had the same problems at first. Come to find out there are two versions of this unit. You may need the other version like I did. He graciously swapped the original for the second version and my problems went away.

As far as contacting him, I do not know.
The following 2 users liked this post by marks146:
BryceU_C5 (07-28-2021), RichardCranium (07-27-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:33 PM
RichardCranium
Instructor

For anyone who might run into an issue, no matter what it is, follow through with the advice from everyone here since the LMC5 came out......call Richard (the main Compliance phone number). I emailed with no response, but Richard answered the phone immediately and talked to me until I was educated on what to look for. He also graciously apologized for my lost email, his spam is set pretty high.....likely my URL in the email blocked me from his normal inbox (I had a YT link).

Either way, I quickly realized what I had done incorrectly, despite how careful I thought I was. My car is 100% now, I'm happy AF.

Originally Posted by marks146
I had the same problems at first. Come to find out there are two versions of this unit. You may need the other version like I did. He graciously swapped the original for the second version and my problems went away.

As far as contacting him, I do not know.
Just wanted to clarify this in case anyone else searches this thread, per Richard himself, there is only one version of LCM5. The only difference with installation is for the early years, before GM made their first change to this terrible feature.

Richard is the man, he is VERY knowkedgable on the C5, his LCM5 module, and anything that could go wrong installing it. Take the time to call if you have a problem!
Old 08-17-2021, 09:52 PM
shredhead1080
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LMC5 installl

When I installed my LMC5 the car immediately locked the column the first time I started the car.

I called Compliance Parts and Richard talked me through how to unlock the column using the spare orange and black wires in the footwell and connected to the relay that is no longer needed (the one on the right in the photos on the instruction sheet). Power/orange to purple and ground/black to white for those curious.

The only thing is, I had blown my cigarette lighter fuse (7) last time I fiddled with the radio bezel and forgot about it. One new fuse and I was good to go. Column unlocked and another mod finished. He didn’t mention this fuse, but I remembered that these wires are connected to the lighter. I probably blew fuse #7 like 4 or 5 times between stereo installs and the MGW shifter.

I also purchased and installed the skip shift but I skipped the procedure to disable the dash light. I just could not successfully manipulate the fuse panel under the hood to get the section out that I needed to. Many scratched knuckles later I said screw it! So the skip shift mod works but the light comes on and I just ignore it.

I must say, the support this guy gave me over the phone was excellent. It was clear he had done these installs countless times. Be prepared if you order one, mail from Malibu CA is unbelievably slow.
The following users liked this post:
gbm (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:05 AM
Gianna66
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

great info
gbm (11-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2022, 06:34 PM
offy34
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Automatic Steering does not lock

I just bought a 2003 automatic and saw al the traffic regarding the steering wheel locking on stick shifts. On the automatic I have the steering wheel does not lock when the key is removed. Should the steering lock?

Thanks

BD
Old 05-07-2022, 08:53 PM
A67VETTEBIGBLOCK
Intermediate

Default Steering lock

I got the dreaded service column lock, is there a way to unlock manually to move car as i cant get in my driveway.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:51 PM
gbm
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read through the posts on this. there are several good ones. try looking through this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ky-please.html

getting it unlocked and back to in your driveway or garage is first and foremost obviously; try the jerking method, battery disconnect, etc.....but then you have to get a bypass installed. I still get the message once in awhile, but with the bypass, it never gets locked.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:38 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by A67VETTEBIGBLOCK
I got the dreaded service column lock, is there a way to unlock manually to move car as i cant get in my driveway.
Mine wouldn't unlock with the unlocker harness. Richard had me undo the steering column shroud (not real easy) and tap on the lock with a screwdriver and hammer, which did the trick. Without the unlocker harness, it would depend on whether it is getting the proper electrical power to unlock.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:17 PM
Neil S. Monastero
Heel & Toe

Default LMC5 installed 15 years ago failure?

I keep records and had installed the LMC5 module 15 years ago and I never had a problem until now. I'm getting the "Service Column Lock" read out. I hit the reset and get back to my gauge readings but it keeps coming up. My steering column is OK and I'm considering taking out the pin so the column can never lock again. I rather slightly increase the risk of theft over being surprised someday when I least expect it. I rather remove the chance of paying for some engineers **** up. Did my LMC5 go bad and replacing it will solve the problem, or do we have another high tech problem where I need someone with an electrical engineering degree to figure out. I'm driving me car wondering if it is going to shut off because of a computer malfunction. I'm calling the customer service 800 number on the LMC5 installation instructions that I filed away after doing the installation.
XXXcorvette (04-13-2023)
Old 07-11-2022, 04:28 PM
gbm
Instructor

Did you check to see if it somehow got a wire disconnected? But....

If it's not locking, I think it must be working.

How about a complete battery disconnect for a few mins and let everything boot back up and see if it persists?

Mine acts up here and there, but has never left me stranded. I think I put mine in 20 years ago or more, as it's a 2000.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:31 PM
Carter189
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 97 corvette that the Service Column lock just popped up on. Its a manual car and there isnt any issues other than the message on the display (as of now). When I search on GM's website they dont mention anything with my VIN about a recall. It seems like after it already happens, I cant fix it by a column lock bypass? So whats the best option for me? Or can i still bypass it, as long as the steering wheel isnt locked yet?
Old 10-24-2022, 03:08 PM
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

So after my battery drained I got the "Service Column Lock" message. The car drives just fine, no column lock out, doesn't cut fuel off at 2mph. I just clear the message on the DIC and go about my business. Does this mean my car had the recall work completed? I assume I don't have an LMC5 is the message still come up, right? It's probably a good idea to install an LMC5 anyways, correct?
Old 10-27-2022, 12:52 PM
gbm
Instructor

Sounds like you have one. Take a look if you can.... I still get that every once in awhile but clear it and go about my business....If you didn't have it, it would lock and you would be limited to 2 mph is what I recall.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:35 AM
douglasjre
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought my '04 manual a couple years ago and I get the service column lock message once in awhile. There's an LMC5 I already installed in it but the brown wire was not yet inserted into the third slot over to replace the green wire. I did that brown wire into the green location thing and after the second startup I got the column lock message again. Yes I did have the battery disconnected when I did this service. I've started a car twice since then and no problem. I have a new LMC5 should I toss out the old one and put in the new one or should I call Richard or what? I did the wire swap as instructed on this YouTube video And it's not helping
Old 01-24-2023, 07:56 AM
Neil S. Monastero
Heel & Toe

Default Just another GM FAILURE

Originally Posted by Neil S. Monastero
I keep records and had installed the LMC5 module 15 years ago and I never had a problem until now. I'm getting the "Service Column Lock" read out. I hit the reset and get back to my gauge readings but it keeps coming up. My steering column is OK and I'm considering taking out the pin so the column can never lock again. I rather slightly increase the risk of theft over being surprised someday when I least expect it. I rather remove the chance of paying for some engineers **** up. Did my LMC5 go bad and replacing it will solve the problem, or do we have another high tech problem where I need someone with an electrical engineering degree to figure out. I'm driving me car wondering if it is going to shut off because of a computer malfunction. I'm calling the customer service 800 number on the LMC5 installation instructions that I filed away after doing the installation.
Guess what? This problem when away by itself! It's bullshit like this makes my 1969 corvette something to long for because this crap could not happen because there were NO computers. Now it is working, now it is not, now it is working again and now it is not and nobody ever gets to figure out where the problem is! Maybe this wouldn't happen if GM didn't make their cars out of garbage. Having a batter die on a newer corvette is a pain in the *** because there are a number of things that can get disturbed when the battery gives up the ghost. This problem should have been solved when I installed the LMC5 16 years ago as there hasn't been a problem with it until this happened. It's gone now until next time. This is what you can expect and it will be back again, I am sure. So be it.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)

Old 02-23-2023, 11:51 PM
douglasjre
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

LMC5 and the gray wire thingy didn't fix the problem. What fixed the problem was waiting a few seconds after turning the key to the on position before starting it. I presume cranking the engine causes a voltage drop which causes the BCM to register the resistor in the key as a different value. Anyway it's nice to know the problem is solved by just waiting a few seconds before cranking the motor
Old 04-03-2023, 08:34 PM
Hollyjeanne
1st Gear

I am looking for someone in NJ that can help me do the bypass. I have everything out and ready to go, but I am nervous that I will mess it up. Ijust had the harmonic balancer replaced and the battery was dead for a bit. I did the original fuse pull and it worked until the car sat for a bit with not tenders in it. Now I have to do the brown wire mod. I will pay someone to do this. Everything is open and out on the passenger side, the column is not locked just won’t go over 2mph….. if there is anyone near hunterdon/warren that can finish this, I am happy to pay.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:29 AM
WWFRC
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cscokd
Q Is there any solution for this problem?
A Yes; have the recall done if you have an A4 car or install a Column Lock Bypass (CLB) on MN6 & MN12 cars BEFORE the problem occurs. Once it fails, you may not be able to fix it without GM repair.

This problem has already occurred to my 2000 6 Speed. At first it was having a security issue and I needed to remove the key for 10 seconds. That no longer happens, but it says 'Service Column Lock' all the time now.

Based on this passage, a CLB will no longer help the problem? I will have to bring it to GM to fix it? It is dyno tuned so I would lik to avoid this.

It has never locked up on me, but I don't want to keep driving it if there is a chance it will lock while driving. It sounds like there isn't, but I'd rather double check!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by WWFRC; 04-19-2023 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering Column Lock FAQs - please read before you post (sticky please)