C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear brake rotors? Bolts are STUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing rear brake rotors? Bolts are STUCK!

Are there any special tricks to getting those two 21mm bolts off that hold the caliper bracket in place? I see from reading the service manual that they are supposed to be tightened to 125 ft/lb and that the bolts have a thread sealant on them when they are new. However, even my impact wrench is having trouble breaking them loose.

I have already applied a coat of WD40 to hopefully break up and rust bonding that's occurring, but other than keep trying with an impact wrench and WD40 do you guys have any tips on how to get these off?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:51 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by diynoob
Are there any special tricks to getting those two 21mm bolts off that hold the caliper bracket in place? I see from reading the service manual that they are supposed to be tightened to 125 ft/lb and that the bolts have a thread sealant on them when they are new. However, even my impact wrench is having trouble breaking them loose.

I have already applied a coat of WD40 to hopefully break up and rust bonding that's occurring, but other than keep trying with an impact wrench and WD40 do you guys have any tips on how to get these off?
First time off is a PITA. I broke mine loose without an impact wrench. Get a longer breaker bar. Likely the stock thread sealant is adding to the torque you need to break them loose. Good luck.

P.S. Give it the idiot check. Generally, unless you have a lift, you are looking at those bolts backwards from the outside, so make sure you have your lefty loosy correct.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 01-31-2005, 11:01 PM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Subdriver
First time off is a PITA. I broke mine loose without an impact wrench. Get a longer breaker bar. Likely the stock thread sealant is adding to the torque you need to break them loose. Good luck.

P.S. Give it the idiot check. Generally, unless you have a lift, you are looking at those bolts backwards from the outside, so make sure you have your lefty loosy correct.
Leverage is your friend!!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:07 PM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Subdriver

Old 01-31-2005, 11:08 PM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes some good hard blows from a hammer flat on the head of a bolt will help jar it loose. You can also use a good quality box end wrench and hammer. Put the box end wrench on the bolt and hit the wrench with a hammer. Watch those fingers! If your using an air impact wrench you can normally get a little extra torque by using a little air tool oil in the impact. Most impacts will have the most torque the first few seconds after you pull the trigger. So a bunch of short 1-2 seconds bursts with 1-2 seconds off time in between will allow air to refill the hose back to max pressure. Also make sure you air pressure is at max. Wait will the compress fills and shuts off before hammering. When the compressor starts again wait till it refills. If nothing else works a little heat will also help, but be careful of what and how much your heating. You will want to heat the part that the bolts thread into, not the bolt itself.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip, will give that a try.

I double checked the lefty-loosey, and am turning in the right direction....

Old 01-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Skip the impact wrench! Use a quality box end wrench or a six point 1/2 drive breaker bar and a cheater bar! It will come off!

Please let us know how it turns out!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 AM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You got the right idea using penetrating oil, like WD40 or Liquid Wrench. I agree that a 6-point socket with a long ½ drive breaker bar & a cheater pipe should do the trick. If it’s real stubborn, try heating the head of the bolt with a torch (not melting or color changing hot) and strike the head with a hammer. This may knock some rust loose. Make sure you’re going counter-clockwise as you face the bolt.

PS: If you decide to heat the bolt head…. Make sure all flammable items are far away and excess the penetrating oil is wiped off.

Good Luck
Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 AM
12stepvette
Burning Brakes

I really had to Get on Mine...using a cheater bar and by wedging my shoulder in the wheel well!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

the torque isnt the problem, it is the red loctite.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Midwest Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a heat gun. it will loosen the locktite. then the breaker bar.
Good luck.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:09 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Better Fit?

________________________________________ ____________________
[diynoob]Thanks for the tip, will give that a try.
I double checked the lefty-loosey, and am turning in the right direction....

________________________________________ ____________________

Righty-Tighty......Lefty-Loosey. I think a 6 sided 13/16 socket fits better than a 21mm. Leverage, lots of leverage. If you are going to use the original bolts, clean the threads good and use Loctite again. Good luck
Old 02-01-2005, 09:33 AM
zone5
Heel & Toe

I had a heck of a time. My Kobalt 1/2" breaker bar seemed to have too much "flex". I went to a standard 1/2" ratchet and found the BIG rubber mallet my wife had lost. A couple of whacks latter and the bolt came loose. I was not successful in figuring out how to fit a torque wrench to the rear bolt to tighten.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:18 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by zone5
I was not successful in figuring out how to fit a torque wrench to the rear bolt to tighten.
Not sure which one you mean by rear bolt as they are on top of each other. I have the most trouble tightening the top bolt on the driver's side as the torque wrench is up under the car. I have found that it is a little easier if the car is higher. If the jack stands are on their lowest setting I have real trouble with this one, but if they are a couple notches up, it is much easier.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:35 PM
zguy
Pro

Originally Posted by 12stepvette
Just removed all 4 calipers this weekend. I had to use the breaker bar to remove the bolts. You really need some leverage to remove those things. I do not think it is possible to remove them with a standard size 1/2 drive ratchet unless you are Lou Ferrigno.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2005, 11:55 PM
C54DAZ
Instructor

This is what Did, Used a box wrench, lowered car to ground level, sat on my but on the floor and kicked it loose! Worked great!

Get notified of new replies

To Removing rear brake rotors? Bolts are STUCK!

Quick Reply: Removing rear brake rotors? Bolts are STUCK!