C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the track but a little hesitant...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:40 PM
JetVette01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the track but a little hesitant...

Ok. Im meeting some people I know at Firebird saturday night. My mods are as follows...

99 FRC M6

Borla catback
Blackwing
LG longtubes w/o cats
G5X3 on a 114 lsa
comp 921s
titanium retainers
chromoly pushrods
dyno tune

The car has a Z06 clutch but I still get "sticky clutch pedal syndrome." Shift into second is fine, then once I hit third it usually sticks or doesnt disengage fully and I end up grinding 3rd. A lot of people I know will be there and they are expecting to see my car pull some good #s. Theres also a supra wanting to race me. I dont want to make a fool out of myself and run a bad time and then come back with the "excuse" that my clutch is bad. Going to replace it in the future but am ancy to see what my car will run. Anyone with the same problem?....

Also, what times would be suitable for my mods? Dynoed 380 rwhp before the catback and blackwing.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

380 RWHP, eh?? That's up in Z06 territory (maybe a little higher, compared to stock Z06's) so I'd say if you run anything less than a Z06, you should have your car taken away from you!!!

As long as you can hook, and pull off good shifts, I'd think you're into ~mid 11's maybe??
Old 01-27-2005, 09:21 PM
wavrdr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a little off topic....But did you have to flycut with the 114 lsa? I'm looking into the G5X3 112 but want to avoid flycutting....Maybe go with the 114 instead? :o
Old 01-27-2005, 09:32 PM
cliffkh
Pro

Also, what times would be suitable for my mods? Dynoed 380 rwhp before the catback and blackwing.[/QUOTE]

On street tires and iffy clutch - 12.2@114mph is my guess. If you had sticky tires and could launch it and shift hard - 11.6@117.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 PM
JetVette01
Racer

Originally Posted by wavrdr
This is a little off topic....But did you have to flycut with the 114 lsa? I'm looking into the G5X3 112 but want to avoid flycutting....Maybe go with the 114 instead? :o

No flycutting needed for the 114 lsa. Actually, Ive been told that with stock heads you can do the 112 without flycutting. Id call LG Motorsports, theyll have your answers.

Also, I would be suprised if my car dipped into the 11s. My car feels like it doesnt make power until around 3500 rpm or so. Plus my rev limiter in set fairly low like around 6400 and Ive been told my cam makes power well over that.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:44 PM
JetVette01
Racer

Originally Posted by wavrdr

No flycutting needed for the 114 lsa. Actually, Ive been told that with stock heads you can do the 112 without flycutting. Id call LG Motorsports, theyll have your answers.

Also, I would be suprised if my car dipped into the 11s. My car feels like it doesnt make power until around 3500 rpm or so. So with the 3.42 gears, it takes a bit to get to where I make power. Plus my rev limiter in set fairly low like around 6400 and Ive been told my cam makes power well over that.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:27 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got a nice set up that a good driver could pull mid 11's with.
A couple snags though:

1. Lots of power and sticky clutch kills et's
2. street tires (run flats?) = bummer 60's
3. cold weather, another traction killer

I was at Atco in NJ last Nov with your similar set up and I had a heck of a time getting my run flats to hook.
I tried reducing tire pressure from 22 to 18 with no luck.
My clutch could barely hold the power and after 3rd was on the floor.
I tried burns from 2 to 5 sec and that made very little difference. Track was nicely prepped, but I couldn't hook.

With 413 rwhp and launching at 2k I could only best a 2.2 60' and a 13.0 ET at 116.

My only suggestion would be a moderate burn, especially if run flats, as a longer burn will start heating your clutch up and run flats are so stiff, the extra burn won't help you.

Ask a few guys what pressure is best for your tires and suspension. I launched at ~2k and I think I would've done better by easing into it more. A couple guys told me to start off like I was getting a quick start from a traffic light and then when you hook, hit it.

I'm not a pro, but these were the lessons I got from some dammmmn quick Vette brothers.
Hope it helps.
Great racin'!
Scott

Last edited by simpleman68; 01-27-2005 at 10:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
JetVette01
Racer

thanks a lot man. I hope I at least pull mid 12s. It feels as if my car doesnt pull when I get into third. Almost like the clutch just slips. Anyone have the same problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Going to the track but a little hesitant...

Quick Reply: Going to the track but a little hesitant...