C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Tuning...Tech 2 or LS1 Edit and Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 07:28 PM
MikeJamesC5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning...Tech 2 or LS1 Edit and Dyno?

I've been having problems with my car since I installed my LG LT Headers. We have checked the 02 sensors a million times so don't say "its probley the 02 sensors"! I've heard that a lot. I think it could be a spark plug or wire. My car feels like its missing and my brother in law hooked up a computer that said I have a mis-fire in the 2nd cylinder and it also had some other codes that I can't remember off the top of my head but he didn't know what they were. I'll check with him because he wrote it down.
Well my car probley needs a good tune anyways. So I called 2 different tuners who are vendors on this forum and 1 uses just the tech 2 and the other uses the LS1 Edit and a dyno. So I'm wondering which one would be better in my case? I know the dyno would probley be better but for my codes that are coming up would the tech 2 be better or can the LS1 edit do the same thing?
Old 10-21-2004, 01:13 PM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

I dont think the Tech 2 is a tuning tool, i think its a diagnostic tool. MY tuner used the ls1 edit to tune and the tech 2 as a diagnostic tool.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:08 PM
MikeJamesC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F1_SS
I dont think the Tech 2 is a tuning tool, i think its a diagnostic tool. MY tuner used the ls1 edit to tune and the tech 2 as a diagnostic tool.
Well Specter Werkes must think it is because they told me on the phone thats what they would use to tune my car. I asked them if they would dyno it and they said they don't dyno cars.
Here is the code or codes my car read:
1571 TCS PWM CIRCUIT FREQ SIGNAL
Old 10-21-2004, 10:39 PM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

I personally wouldnt have anyone tune my car without a dyno. Without a dyno they can just be guestimating at the A/F.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:08 AM
Mr Cowl Hood
Racer

Default True

Originally Posted by F1_SS
I personally wouldnt have anyone tune my car without a dyno. Without a dyno they can just be guestimating at the A/F.
That's right Dyno tuning is the only real way to deliver great results and assure you that your AFR's are correct for your application.

Also, F1_SS is correct too. A GM Tech 2 is merely a scan tool, not a tuning aid. Specter Werkes must have misunderstood the question or they were replying to yours about scanning/resetting your codes. Which, btw is unecessary because you could do that on your dash.

I'd be interested in tuning it if you're coming down this way.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:28 AM
MikeJamesC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Cowl Hood
That's right Dyno tuning is the only real way to deliver great results and assure you that your AFR's are correct for your application.

Also, F1_SS is correct too. A GM Tech 2 is merely a scan tool, not a tuning aid. Specter Werkes must have misunderstood the question or they were replying to yours about scanning/resetting your codes. Which, btw is unecessary because you could do that on your dash.

I'd be interested in tuning it if you're coming down this way.
The codes are not coming up on my dash. They are coming up on a diagnostic device.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Mr Cowl Hood
Racer

Default Huh?

Originally Posted by MikeJamesC5
The codes are not coming up on my dash. They are coming up on a diagnostic device.

So what you're saying is that if you view your DTC codes using the options button and fuel button method, you DON'T see any PCM codes, but if you connect a scan tool you do? You are aware that you can read your own DTC's on your dash, right?
Old 10-23-2004, 05:32 PM
MikeJamesC5
Burning Brakes

So what you're saying is that if you view your DTC codes using the options button and fuel button method, you DON'T see any PCM codes, but if you connect a scan tool you do? You are aware that you can read your own DTC's on your dash, right?
Correct. I don't have any codes that are popping up on my dash. But if there is a way to find codes without a diagnostic tool then no I don't know how to do that. I've played with all the buttons on my dash and went through them a bunch of times so if there is a way I must have not payed enough attention.
But can anyone answer my original question?
If I take it to APE would they be able to fix my codes that are showing up on the diagnostic tool? They told me they don't use a tech 2. But I would think that they have some kind of diagnostic tool. Is the tech 2 the best for my car or does it not even matter?
Old 10-24-2004, 11:13 PM
Mr Cowl Hood
Racer

Default To see your codes...

Correct. I don't have any codes that are popping up on my dash. But if there is a way to find codes without a diagnostic tool then no I don't know how to do that. I've played with all the buttons on my dash and went through them a bunch of times so if there is a way I must have not payed enough attention.
But can anyone answer my original question?
If I take it to APE would they be able to fix my codes that are showing up on the diagnostic tool? They told me they don't use a tech 2. But I would think that they have some kind of diagnostic tool. Is the tech 2 the best for my car or does it not even matter?
To see your codes on your dash folow the following:

Get in shut doors turn key to the ON position.

Wait for Corvette display to go blank and/or keep pressing reset until there is nothing on the display.

With your right thumb, press and hold Options.

While holding Options, press Fuel 4 times (quickly) with your index finger and release both.

You should see a list of your codes (if any). Write them down.

While it's scrolling the codes, press Reset once again.

It will go to manual mode and once you see "PCM 1 Code" or however many you have, press and hold Reset until you hear a beep and it resets to no codes.

You may scroll through the rest of the functions, resetting codes, but it's really not necessary.

To exit, press E/M 3 times fast.

That's it.

Now, if APE is close, they can do this for you and address your problems, most likely. If you want to follow the instructions given and report what your codes are, many of us here can assist you in diagnosing your potential problems.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:46 PM
F1_SS
Burning Brakes

Is the tech 2 the best for my car or does it not even matter?
Its good, but i have a personal scanner that i bought from Autozone, its orange and it can scan/read codes and can also earase (sp) them
. I bought it because unlike you lucky vette guys the F-bodies can see what the code is from the dash.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:35 PM
MikeJamesC5
Burning Brakes

Default Wtf...

To see your codes on your dash folow the following:

Get in shut doors turn key to the ON position.

Wait for Corvette display to go blank and/or keep pressing reset until there is nothing on the display.

With your right thumb, press and hold Options.

While holding Options, press Fuel 4 times (quickly) with your index finger and release both.

You should see a list of your codes (if any). Write them down.

While it's scrolling the codes, press Reset once again.

It will go to manual mode and once you see "PCM 1 Code" or however many you have, press and hold Reset until you hear a beep and it resets to no codes.

You may scroll through the rest of the functions, resetting codes, but it's really not necessary.

To exit, press E/M 3 times fast.

That's it.

Now, if APE is close, they can do this for you and address your problems, most likely. If you want to follow the instructions given and report what your codes are, many of us here can assist you in diagnosing your potential problems.

Good luck!
I did what you said to do and I have like 37 codes that came up.

10-PCM 2 CODES
P0300 H C
P1571 H

28-TCS 4 CODES
U1301 H
C1255 H
C1281 H
U1016 H

38-RTD NO COMM.

40-BCM 3 CODES
U1016 H
U1040 H
U1096 H

60-IPC 7 CODES
B0521 H
U1255 H
U1064 H
U1016 H
U1040 H
U1176 H
U1160 H

80-RADIO 3 CODES
U1016 H
U1064 H
U1096 H

99 HVAC 3 CODES
U1064 H
U1096 H
U1160 H

AO-LDCM 5 CODES
B2282 H
B2284 H
B2264 H
U1064 H
U1096 H

A1-RDCM 4 CODES
B2283 H
B2285 H
U1064 H
U1096 H

A6-SCM 3 CODES
B0851 H
U1064 H
U1016 H

B0-RFA 3 CODES
U1096 H
U1064 H
U1016 H

Old 10-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Mr Cowl Hood
Racer

Default Lots

[QUOTE=MikeJamesC5]I did what you said to do and I have like 37 codes that came up.

10-PCM 2 CODES
P0300 H C
P1571 H

Well, the most important ones are these. You have a general misfire occuring and something about an "ASR Desired Torque (with message)" thing going on. The general misfires could mean that it's time for a new set of plugs up to your burning so much oil that your fowling plugs and need a new engine. A look at the plugs plus a good leak down test on all 8 cylinders will define that.

They are both history (H) codes so it may have been a problem already solved. Clear them and see if they come back.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning...Tech 2 or LS1 Edit and Dyno?

Quick Reply: Tuning...Tech 2 or LS1 Edit and Dyno?