C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

How does the Diablo "Performance Tune" compare to stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 03:53 PM

Default How does the Diablo "Performance Tune" compare to stock?

Does anyone know exactly what it ads (vs. stock) in terms of timing and fuel? Any stories of success modifying (slightly) any of the parameters?
Old 01-25-2004, 12:13 AM
landbaron
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How does the Diablo "Performance Tune" compare to stock? (MMI)

I contacted Diablo by email a few weeks ago to see if they had a dyno pull for a ZO6. I never received an answer from them. I know that they do have a dyno for a C5 on their website.

I'd like to know what the A/F & timing is for the performance tune also.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:34 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know exactly what it ads (vs. stock) in terms of timing and fuel? Any stories of success modifying (slightly) any of the parameters?
Unfortunately I'm not at liberty to disclose propietary information like that, however, I will give out information as to what I to custom tunes for those customers that have them, and I will even talk with them ahead of time to go over every thing that I will be doing.

Regardless, you should ALWAYS buy your Predator from a reputable TUNING dealer, like myself. Purchasing one because you find it for less from some unauthorized dealer, or some company purposely lowering their pricing to create hardship on other respectable dealers, does nothing but put you, the customer, in a grey area. You have no idea what you're getting, and are just going by other feedback from Predator owners coming from the same rouge selling dealers. Buying from a vendor who can personally tune you is the ONLY way to go!

I have recommended that anyone who buys a Predator through me, to please allow me to build them a custom tune, instead of using the included tuning, as I feel that I have tuning that can better compliment their vehicle, plus I will state certain specifics with what I do in the files with my tuning. Part of my living comes from the fact that I am a custom tuner.

Kind Regards...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:50 PM
landbaron
Intermediate

Default Re: How does the Diablo "Performance Tune" compare to stock? (RWTD)

I can understand not being able to disclose propietary information.

1. Do you know what the average increase in power is for a stock ZO6 with the regular performance program?

2. As a custom tuner what can you do that makes more power for a stock car than the Predator does?

3. What increase do you get?

4. What is the cost?

5. Do you put the program into a Predator & then we down load it into our car?

6. Is the Predator custom program still in it or do you replace it with your own?

7. As we make mods do we tell you and then you make another custom tune & what is the cost of that?

8. Since every car is different, isn't there more often than not something left on the table (either rich or lean, etc).

Here's an opportunity for you to pickup some business. Good luck & thanks. :yesnod: ;)
Old 01-28-2004, 10:33 PM
boss4zo6
Instructor

Default Re: How does the Diablo "Performance Tune" compare to stock? (landbaron)

im not sureif this is gonna help ya but..........i just did a predator and tune from coastal dyno in tampa. All i had was donaldson blackwing and airbridge. After the tune i gained 37.9 rwhps and 21 rwtq. Now with that said and even from the tuners own lips, hes never had a car pick up that much horse. he said usually theres a 15 -20 hp gain. I am assuming that my stock tune was worse than most which would allow the tune to pick up alot more. Just my opinion.
The cool thing about the predator is that the tune is in the unit.....so if you need to bring the car back to stock the unit remembers that. then when you bring the car home from the dealer you can put the tune back in. Hope this helps spme. Oh and from a driving experience.....before the tune the car was managable with traction control turned off......after the tune.......hold on and hope youre good at going slideways
Old 01-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Demented
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just threadjacking this right quick...any word on 1.04 James?:blueangel:
Old 01-31-2004, 11:10 PM

Unfortunately I'm not at liberty to disclose propietary information like that, however, I will give out information as to what I to custom tunes for those customers that have them, and I will even talk with them ahead of time to go over every thing that I will be doing.

Regardless, you should ALWAYS buy your Predator from a reputable TUNING dealer, like myself. Purchasing one because you find it for less from some unauthorized dealer, or some company purposely lowering their pricing to create hardship on other respectable dealers, does nothing but put you, the customer, in a grey area. You have no idea what you're getting, and are just going by other feedback from Predator owners coming from the same rouge selling dealers. Buying from a vendor who can personally tune you is the ONLY way to go!

I have recommended that anyone who buys a Predator through me, to please allow me to build them a custom tune, instead of using the included tuning, as I feel that I have tuning that can better compliment their vehicle, plus I will state certain specifics with what I do in the files with my tuning. Part of my living comes from the fact that I am a custom tuner.

Kind Regards...
I have know doubt that a custom tune version on the Predator is a step up, but I have trouble with the premise that the Predator is krap without such a custom adjustment -- at least I don't think that the Predator Mfg. would agree with that view. They obviously have enough faith in their product to let the larger-volume retailers sell it without custom tunes. :skep:
Old 02-01-2004, 12:05 AM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

I have know doubt that a custom tune version on the Predator is a step up, but I have trouble with the premise that the Predator is krap without such a custom adjustment -- at least I don't think that the Predator Mfg. would agree with that view. They obviously have enough faith in their product to let the larger-volume retailers sell it without custom tunes. :skep:
Hold on there! I never said the included tuning on the Predator is "krap". Please don't presume that I am inferring some sort of negative statement with my prior comments.

The logic I use is simple: Each and every vehicle is unique. I am a Tuner that builds true custom tunes, not 1 set file for every Corvette, or every Camaro, or every Firebird, etc. The manufacturer will definitely agree with me that the product can be utilized to its fullest extent when it has true custom tuning for a specific vehicle. They wouldn't have the Predator capable of accepting custom tunes if they did not. The Predator is NOT a Hypertech, nor does DiabloSport live by a philosphy of just selling a product that has no upgradeability.

Fuel type, grade, quality, vehicle condition, climate/weather/altitude, driver, all plays an important role of how and what a custom tune should consist of. Naturally I wouldn't build an aggressive file that I would normally use on a vehicle running 94 octane for one that would use 87 octane. Therefore the manufacturers of such "generic" tuned devices can only attempt to build a device that can give the majority of their customer base something that will work decently. They can attempt to get close by offering multiple tune levels included already, but undoubtedly a specific vehicle will always excel with a custom file designed specific for such self.

I'm sorry, I just do not understand the logic that one would want to buy a tool from a company that offers only what is included in the tool, instead of buying the tool from a company that can give true vehicle specific custom tuning for free on top of the purchase, like how my company offers.

Very Kind Regards...
Old 02-01-2004, 09:31 AM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

You go James......... :thumbs: For those of you on the fence, James been heavily involved with the R&D from the beginning. When he speaks it's from experience! How do i know? Spent months doing R&D with James and DiabloSport. Yes my car was one of the mules. James was a key part in the successful developement of this tuning device. :cheers:
Bob
Old 02-01-2004, 06:02 PM

I'm sorry, I just do not understand the logic that one would want to buy a tool from a company that offers only what is included in the tool, instead of buying the tool from a company that can give true vehicle specific custom tuning for free on top of the purchase, like how my company offers.

Very Kind Regards...
First, I didn't 'want to buy a Predator without a custom tune', if I knew that one was available. I had no idea that the Predator that RWTD sells is any different from the one that every other vendor on the board sells. Hell, I honestly thought, from the look of your website, that RWTD was the MFG of the Predator! (Often mfgs will sell direct in addition to selling through other retailers -- in this case, all the prices that I found were the same @$419.) As a marketer by trade, I would suggest that you make that 'custom' point-of-difference in you business more obvious. (You'll know you've succeeded when nobody is buying Predators elsewhere -- why would they, if they knew?)

Second, It's looking more and more like the PE and Spark features on the Predator are worthless without a custom tune. In that case, I'm kinda POd at the mfg. for touting the product as something that can improve an LS1 tune with diagnostics and adjustments (in reality, they're pretty ineffective). :mad

I know you don't want to bad-mouth the product that is supplied to you, but... as Ricky used to say... somebody's gots some splainin' to do.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:09 PM
RWTD
Burning Brakes

I would suggest that you make that 'custom' point-of-difference in you business more obvious. (You'll know you've succeeded when nobody is buying Predators elsewhere -- why would they, if they knew?)
Yes, most definitely on the part about updating my site. Actually, I am having that redone as we speak, but I am unsure when it'll be ready (maybe by end of this new month). There will also be a separate site with a vBulletin message board for my customers to register on get updates on news and tunes, etc. It will be http://www.DiabloSportTuning.com (currently that points to my main site), and geared towards "custom tuning".

Second, It's looking more and more like the PE and Spark features on the Predator are worthless without a custom tune.
Actually, they are effective, especially the PE feature, but neither will do anything for adjusting your LTFT's properly. I'm not sure when it'll be released, but the next revision upgrade will incorporate some ability to adjust LTFT's.

P.s. Shoot me an email to sales@runninwiththedevil.com and we'll discuss your situation. Thanks!

Sincerely...
Old 02-02-2004, 07:07 AM
lowdowndirty
Burning Brakes

To get back to the original Q, I don't knwo what the "can" tune adds off the bat. I installed three of the Predator's can tunes in one weekend and dyno'd them the next day. NONE of them gave any kind of considerable gains. My car got 6 hp and 1 lb/ft. My friends Z got 4 hp and 4 lb/ft and my step-dad's LOST 1 hp and gained 3 lb/ft. Now considering the pull-to-pull variences, the gains and losses could actually be factored out. This was after a half day modifying all applicable perameters on each car.
On the other hand, I have heard of decent gains and the flexibility of being able to change things such as fan temp settings is great.
Personally, it didn't work for us. Good luck and if you decide to do this, I would deffinately give James your only consideration. Chris.

Get notified of new replies

To How does the Diablo "Performance Tune" compare to stock?

Quick Reply: How does the Diablo "Performance Tune" compare to stock?