C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New at Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 12:50 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Tron Z
It's certainly a good idea to have a spare PCM, as has already been mentioned. But, I would recommend against repeatedly swapping PCMs in and out of your car. I worked for an automobile manufacturer and one exercise was to identify the most common wire terminals used in our vehicles and then supply a terminal kit to the dealers, so that they could make harness repairs. While reading some of the terminal documentation from the supplier, I was surprised to find out that with as few as two dozen and a half to three dozen insertions of a male terminal into its mate, the female terminal starts to loose its spring tension and grip on the male terminal, thereby putting the connection at risk of failure. In fact, this type of failure of our female terminals was rather common and the most useful application of our terminal repair kits turned out to be to supply the techs with the correct size male terminals, so that they could perform pin drag tests on the female terminals, so that these connection tensions could be verified.

That's good info! This is definitely an issue with some bosch PCMs. Tune swapping with computer and HP tuners is looking better!
The following users liked this post:
Tron Z (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:10 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have always run 93 octane pump gas on stock restricted LS6 motor. How much more HP have you guys seen gained from 100 octane race gas with just a tune? I wonder if it is worth it?
that was an interesting question. are you talking about 107ron/93mon and similar?
Old 01-08-2024, 09:30 AM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I have always run 93 octane pump gas on stock restricted LS6 motor. How much more HP have you guys seen gained from 100 octane race gas with just a tune? I wonder if it is worth it?
Putting race gas in a stock LS6 and tuning for it is not worth it. You won't gain much more power (if any) over a 93 octane tune.
The following users liked this post:
Tron Z (01-09-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 01:37 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

I can’t get to a dyno because my racecar is touring a 7 race series a couple 1000 miles from home. Is there value in logging data under race conditions and tweaking a stock tune for max horsepower and torque? I don’t even know what can be changed…some timing and AF ratios at certain rpm windows? Can this be done using data from stock o2 sensors. I don’t have stock secondary o2 bung holes to screw in a wide band.
Old 01-20-2024, 11:57 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

you need a wideband for sure.

as for logging, yes, to make sure the system (→traction management, torque limiting) is not pulling timing/closing throttle blade. you have to know what to log though.

Quick Reply: New at Tuning