C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Dyno tune vs PCM tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM
MTZ Z
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tune vs PCM tune

I need some advice about tuning. I am adding headers, cold air intake and exhaust to a stock 02 Z06. Does this level of modification require a dyno tune or can it be tuned through the PCM? Are mail order pcm tunes reliable? Any suggestions for tuners in Cincinnati?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

drive 2 hours to see Mike Norris in Indianapolis if you want a tuner or I see he does mail order stuff now.....good guy

http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com/Dyno___Tuning.html
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM
MoEngineer
Intermediate

I have the same mods (kept my Ti) and I mailed my PCM in for a tune. I'll be able to tell you next week if I'm happy with it, but won't be able to tell you if there is a differance from taking it to a tuner.

My thought was that exhaust and intake is a basic mod that every owner starts out with, and any tuner must have seen hundreds of them by now.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

A scan-log tune would be the best with what you mods are, It is going to measure the how the fuel trims, spark, etc are reacting under different driving conditions and loads. Many dyno's also are load bearing and can do a fine job also. If you are into serious drag racing, road racing, autocross, etc then your options may change but for trying to go a little quicker either will work. What is more important than which method is who is doing the tune. The skill of the tuner is the most important. Personally I would avoid any who insist on "locking" your tune. You do not have an exotic configuration that needs to be kept secret. Also, I like to avoid tuners who take short cuts like turning of sensors from throwing codes. Other than disabling the rear O2 from reporting, the other sensors only tell you if major problems might occur. Lastly I look for tuners who want to compromise between power and long engine life. Grasping for that last bit of HP and then tuning out the knock sensors can lead to untimely engine failure.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:23 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

WE offer a better service than the mail order tuning with quite a bit less down time and even gives you the option later on to do more tuning and allow us to help you learn as you go. With the ability to tune 3 other GM vehicles for the price of the entire setup as well it pretty much pays for itself and allows you to use the HP Tuners interface as a scan tool as well.
The possibilities are endless and we can even remote tune your setup on the dyno.
Fast turn around and guaranteed results. All it requires is a little time, an email address, and a laptop.
You can contact us for more info/options
(link in sig)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:07 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I agree with most above----
It all depends on your car's intended use---If it's basically a DD a mail order tune for a stock cammed engine with LT headers should be a can of corn for any tuner--But if you have the $$ and want that last little bit of extra power of course a dyno tune or even a street driven tune would be better--
Only thing you need you know about any tuning
1. Some tuners "LOCK" your tune so no one else can ever read or download to your tunes ever again but them--very common ---so question that
2. When getting a mail order tune be prepared for the eng to run crappy for the 1st 50- 75 miles as the ECM learns the P/T fuel trims--Which can also affect the WOT fuel as
well--- A dyno/street driven tuner however can force in corrections to your fuel trims before the car leaves the shop--so there will be almost no learning
Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The engine will learn the fuel trims after the first couple of miles.
I have done drivability tunes on the dyno and I can say that they may get close in a few areas, but you cannot simulate alot of what goes on on the dyno and 100% results from it. A dyno tune is mainly for WOT and that will not (or at least should not) effect the "driving" part of the tune.
Alot of times the mail order tunes will still not be 100% on, like a remote tune or actual in person tune will.
I have only known a few tuners to lock their tunes. Usually novice tuners that are internet badasses will. Any tuner that does really ONLY does it for BS reasons. People are going to copy you whether you like it or not. It is not like it is magic. And some of the ones that lock their tunes, you wouldnt want them anyway.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had several remote tunes from Ted Jannetty at Jannetty Racing Enterprises.

He just completed the tuning of my Z06 a few days ago and really nailed it.

His customer service and response times are outstanding as well.

He uses SCT tuners for his remote tunes.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Mattie Num Nums
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dyno for sure. You'll pick up some good power plus every car is different and every environment is different so I'd pay the extra money to dyno.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:16 PM
MTZ Z
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Gordy M
A scan-log tune would be the best with what you mods are, It is going to measure the how the fuel trims, spark, etc are reacting under different driving conditions and loads. Many dyno's also are load bearing and can do a fine job also. If you are into serious drag racing, road racing, autocross, etc then your options may change but for trying to go a little quicker either will work. What is more important than which method is who is doing the tune. The skill of the tuner is the most important. Personally I would avoid any who insist on "locking" your tune. You do not have an exotic configuration that needs to be kept secret. Also, I like to avoid tuners who take short cuts like turning of sensors from throwing codes. Other than disabling the rear O2 from reporting, the other sensors only tell you if major problems might occur. Lastly I look for tuners who want to compromise between power and long engine life. Grasping for that last bit of HP and then tuning out the knock sensors can lead to untimely engine failure.
Sound advice. I'm no racer and I don't want anything that will compromise the engine or other components. What is a scan log tune? Do both of these have the car on a dynamometer?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

We can do remote tunes at the dyno/drag strip/autox course so that in itself is worth it also.

By scan-log tune, he means the same as what you would call a PCM tune, and what most places call a street tune. It means you gather data on the street in the real world and use that info to build the tune from.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
MTZ Z
7th Gear

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
The engine will learn the fuel trims after the first couple of miles.
I have done drivability tunes on the dyno and I can say that they may get close in a few areas, but you cannot simulate alot of what goes on on the dyno and 100% results from it. A dyno tune is mainly for WOT and that will not (or at least should not) effect the "driving" part of the tune.
Alot of times the mail order tunes will still not be 100% on, like a remote tune or actual in person tune will.
I have only known a few tuners to lock their tunes. Usually novice tuners that are internet badasses will. Any tuner that does really ONLY does it for BS reasons. People are going to copy you whether you like it or not. It is not like it is magic. And some of the ones that lock their tunes, you wouldnt want them anyway.
What does WOT stand for? Thanks
Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 PM
MTZ Z
7th Gear

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
We can do remote tunes at the dyno/drag strip/autox course so that in itself is worth it also.

By scan-log tune, he means the same as what you would call a PCM tune, and what most places call a street tune. It means you gather data on the street in the real world and use that info to build the tune from.
So the scan-log tune has someone driving and someone on a computer making adjustments? I meant a mail-in tune when I said PCM since that is the component you send in. Does a scan-log tune measure RWHP or can that only be done on a dyno? I would like some measure of the improvement gained by making the mods. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Our version of tuning uses the laptop to scan as you drive then you take that log and email it to us, we make changes, send it back to you and you load it into the computer then repeat the process until perfected.

WOT stands for wide open throttle.
We have a parameter that calculates tq and horsepower in our tuning, so you can get an idea of the gains you have made. The numbers themselves are somewhat close to actual numbers you would see on a dyno, but the actual gains you compare from one to the other are pretty spot on.

You will def see a progression as you go along. Off the way the car drives, but the scans will show the progression in a pretty neat way.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM
pbfrench
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coSPEED2,

Your tuner works with a 98 C5? Is it also capable on tuning an A4? If you have a package, can you post a link so I can take a look? Wanting to do a tune but need to see if it is in the budget.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

We can tune all ls vehicles 97 and newer and the new 2014 lt equipped trucks and vettes.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/hp-tuners-vcm-suite-professional-mpvi-interface-w-8-credits-gm-p-12560.html
there is the link for our HP Tuners interface. Comes with 8 credits which is enough to do up to 4 gm vehicles.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/remote-tuning-ezp-86.html
there is the link for our tuning services
You will notice on the tuning page you get a discount on tuning if you order the interface from us.

I recommend the pro interface as you have wideband input capabilities so in case you cannot get to the dyno, we can still tune for wide open throttle at the track or on a long stretch in 'Mexico'.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:33 AM
IfastR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTZ Z
I need some advice about tuning. I am adding headers, cold air intake and exhaust to a stock 02 Z06. Does this level of modification require a dyno tune or can it be tuned through the PCM? Are mail order pcm tunes reliable? Any suggestions for tuners in Cincinnati?
I'm actually getting tuned tom. And I'm in your area. I'll let you know how it goes!

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno tune vs PCM tune

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs PCM tune