C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Z51 suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
37pat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z51 suspension issues

My wife's 99 vert is equipped with the Z51 suspension option. The car currently has about 60,000 miles on the clock, and I doubt the shocks have ever been changed. Point is, I note that on choppy or rough surfaces, particularly cornering in the 65-75 MPH range on freeways (lot's of California freeways are in desperate need of repair) the rear wheels lose traction with the ground, and while driving I can feel the car "skipping" outward at the rear end. Not so noticable in front. Is this normal? Do we need to replace shocks, or is something else at issue here. The car has a spot-on factory alignment and Michlin PS2 runflats. I know Gene Cully recommends the 2012 Z06 shocks for the C5 Z06 Vettes, but would they possibly increase ride harshness? The Z51 suspension seems plenty harsh to me for a street only vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Pat
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Notninja
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 37pat
My wife's 99 vert is equipped with the Z51 suspension option. The car currently has about 60,000 miles on the clock, and I doubt the shocks have ever been changed. Point is, I note that on choppy or rough surfaces, particularly cornering in the 65-75 MPH range on freeways (lot's of California freeways are in desperate need of repair) the rear wheels lose traction with the ground, and while driving I can feel the car "skipping" outward at the rear end. Not so noticable in front. Is this normal? Do we need to replace shocks, or is something else at issue here. The car has a spot-on factory alignment and Michlin PS2 runflats. I know Gene Cully recommends the 2012 Z06 shocks for the C5 Z06 Vettes, but would they possibly increase ride harshness? The Z51 suspension seems plenty harsh to me for a street only vehicle. Thanks in advance.

Pat

My non z51 was doing this when I bought it with 80k. A set of shocks took care of the skipping. Get the c6 z06 shocks from Gene.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 PM
didntdoit11
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

also change the swaybar links to metal get those plastic thing off ther
Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by didntdoit11
also change the swaybar links to metal get those plastic thing off ther