C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Converter Lock/unlock - what???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 PM
reactor2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Converter Lock/unlock - what???

98 'A4

I have a decent size cam (228/232 .571/.573 112) and a decent stall (Yank SS3600). When in 4th, my converter will lock/unlock when RPM < 2300. My understanding is that this is because the computer is interpreting the cam/stall as a misfire. I should note that the converter rarely unlocks unexpectedly when in 3rd.

As per many threads I maxed out the misfire tables (HPTuners):
Engine Diagnostics->Misfire
a)Revolution Mode
1)Low RPM
2)Medium RPM
3)High RPM

b) Cylinder Mode
1)Medium RPM

After I did that my converter failed to lock at all! It wouldn't lock in 3rd or 4th no matter what. I replaced the stock values and it went back to locking up.

What's going on? I've read at least 10 threads that talked about maxing out these tables to stop the computer from unlocking the converter because of a "misfire".

What am I doing wrong? Why would maxing these table result in a converter that never locks?

Last edited by reactor2; 09-30-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by reactor2
98 'A4

I have a decent size cam (228/232 .571/.573 112) and a decent stall (Yank SS3600). When in 4th, my converter will lock/unlock when RPM < 2300. My understanding is that this is because the computer is interpreting the cam/stall as a misfire. I should note that the converter rarely unlocks unexpectedly when in 3rd.

As per many threads I maxed out the misfire tables (HPTuners):
Engine Diagnostics->Misfire
a)Revolution Mode
1)Low RPM
2)Medium RPM
3)High RPM

b) Cylinder Mode
1)Medium RPM

After I did that my converter failed to lock at all! It wouldn't lock in 3rd or 4th no matter what. I replaced the stock values and it went back to locking up.

What's going on? I've read at least 10 threads that talked about maxing out these tables to stop the computer from unlocking the converter because of a "misfire".

What am I doing wrong? Why would maxing these table result in a converter that never locks?
Rather than try to fiddle with those numbers, I adjusted the misfire detection to just have the PCM ignore misfires.
Max ECT to 0
Min ECT to 284

Never an issue since.

Ron
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 AM
reactor2
Drifting

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Rather than try to fiddle with those numbers, I adjusted the misfire detection to just have the PCM ignore misfires.
Max ECT to 0
Min ECT to 284

Never an issue since.

Ron
I'm new to HPTuners. Where can I find those values?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:04 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Same screen as the tables
Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 AM
reactor2
Drifting

That worked! Thanks. First time my converter stayed locked for over 3 years!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

You are welcome
Old 10-04-2013, 08:52 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What really needs to be done is raising your lock speeds, and disabling converter lock in 1st-3rd gear. There's absolutely no reason for the converter to lock in 3rd as that's usually a gear you're in while crusing in town. Overdrive is the only necessary gear for converter locking.

From a driving experience standpoint, it is absolutely amazing how "snappy" and responsive the car can become tuning the transmission properly. It will also do wonders for driveability if the transmission isn't locking at silly low rpm's and/or silly low mph speeds.

Last edited by Josh@SpartanLSX; 10-04-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@SpartanLSX
What really needs to be done is raising your lock speeds, and disabling converter lock in 1st-3rd gear. There's absolutely no reason for the converter to lock in 3rd as that's usually a gear you're in while crusing in town. Overdrive is the only necessary gear for converter locking.

From a driving experience standpoint, it is absolutely amazing how "snappy" and responsive the car can become tuning the transmission properly. It will also do wonders for driveability if the transmission isn't locking at silly low rpm's and/or silly low mph speeds.
And all of this is accomplished thru the tune? If so, I'm going to have my tuner take care of this for me.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 PM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
And all of this is accomplished thru the tune? If so, I'm going to have my tuner take care of this for me.
I apologize for the delayed response to your question. Been slammed at the shop.

Yes, this can all be done in the tune. Find a tuner that is savvy with PROPERLY tuning the 4L6x transmissions. A good trans tune can make the car feel totally different (in a good way) and a bad one can make the car a dog too.

Get notified of new replies

To Converter Lock/unlock - what???

Quick Reply: Converter Lock/unlock - what???