C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Can my Granatelli MAF be used with a K&N fliter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
glkfam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my Granatelli MAF be used with a K&N fliter

I don't have the money to put down on a new Granatelli MAF that is made for high airflow filter systems. I have the Granatelli MAF #350112 that is suppose to be used with a stock air system.

I have used the Granatelli #350112 without trouble with my stock air system. Now I put in a K&N filter and I get the check engine light on. I am sure it has to do with the wrong MAF being installed. What I need to know is can I still use this original Granatelli MAF that is made for a stock air system and maybe get a tune up to fix the check engine light from coming on, or will I damage something in the MAF or my engine if I was to run the car like this. I have a 97 that is basically stock. I just own this MAF and would like to use it if I can instead of letting it sit on the shelf. Thanks to any who might tackle this question.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Personally I would go back to a stock MAF, I cant beleive they still sell those.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:03 PM
glkfam
Instructor

Doug, the only reason I wanted to try to use it is because it did feel like I picked up some extra power when it was installed. Although I never dynoed the car. But thanks for the advice. Maybe I will end up trying to sell it to somebody that has a totally stock set-up
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 AM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

do NOT use aftermarket MAF's...

they're a waste.... I'm with Doug ^ ^ ^.. dunno why they still sell 'em.. well, yeah I do, cuz people keep buyin the garbage...

they trick the pcm into thinking it's running leaner than it is... garbage...

they will screw up the tune... make it difficult to get it dialed in...

stock MAF sensors are good for 550-600 hp anyway... no reason to swap it out...

stick with the stock MAF sensor and you'll be glad you did...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,090 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by glkfam
Doug, the only reason I wanted to try to use it is because it did feel like I picked up some extra power when it was installed. Although I never dynoed the car. But thanks for the advice. Maybe I will end up trying to sell it to somebody that has a totally stock set-up
You probably did pick up some power since it was leaned out, but a proper tune can do that without sacrificing driveabilty/rough idle etc.

anytime.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
do NOT use aftermarket MAF's...

they're a waste.... I'm with Doug ^ ^ ^.. dunno why they still sell 'em.. well, yeah I do, cuz people keep buyin the garbage...

they trick the pcm into thinking it's running leaner than it is... garbage...

they will screw up the tune... make it difficult to get it dialed in...

stock MAF sensors are good for 550-600 hp anyway... no reason to swap it out...

stick with the stock MAF sensor and you'll be glad you did...
I AGREE----You will have MORE of a chance of hurting your engine with running an aftermarket MAF than with a stock one--and on a stockish engine--you don't have an airflow restriction with the stock MAF--A stock MAF even on a 97 is good up to 500 HP---
Don't get me wrong--MAF ends or aftermarket MAF's COULD produce some small HP gains ( 3-5) BUT they require hours and hours of data logging and tuning to get them right--Unless you are an experienced tuner and have your own software---- chuck it in the trash---
Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
glkfam
Instructor

Default That settles IT

I guess that is my answer. Thanks everyone for the advice. I will heed it as of today.

Get notified of new replies

To Can my Granatelli MAF be used with a K&N fliter

Quick Reply: Can my Granatelli MAF be used with a K&N fliter