C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

WTB Tech 2 scanner. clone or no clone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default WTB Tech 2 scanner. clone or no clone?

Good morning,

i am planning on buying a tech 2 scanner. Found this one on ebay from china:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-Te...item2557e38431

I heard about clones from china... Acctually i dont bother about clones, as long as they are working... What do you guys think - buy or not buy?

Thanks for your responses...

Best regards,

Jochen
Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't think this tool will do all the funtions that a GM actual tech II scan to will. I think in this case it is buyer beware. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

Isn't Vetronix one of the OEM suppliers of the Tech 2, that is what I always heard.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Vetronix is the manufacturer of the tech 2 (or was, now its a company that belongs to Bosch automotive group). If its a clone, it might just been a counterfied product, and i heard that there are low quality clones out there...

It sounds just TO cheap to be true. The question is: If it is a clone, does this thing still do what a "real" tech 2 can do. As long as i can do all the things a OEM Tech 2 is able to do, i am fine with a clone.
Does anybody has experience with this special seller in chine, or with a tech 2 that came up to be a clone?

I am planning to keep my 97 C5 for ever, and i own a 07 Escalade which needs some BCM programming. So the investment of 2000+ US$ would be justified for future programming needs (you dont know how much german garage will charge for a BCM programing...)

Hope somebody can share some experience. If you dont like to post here, plz email: jochen.lellesch at arcor.de

Thanks!

Jochen
Old 01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I'm unable to view the link that you provided.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Sorry, the auction ended already. The guy pulled it off ebay and i havent found it again.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Jochen
Drifting

OK Folks, just want to let you know about what happend:

I bought this Tech2 scanner from a seller in china. The product arrived one week later and it looked like OEM Vetronix. It really does look like original, it doesnt look like a clone.

I was able to programm a BCM with this Tech2, but i was not able to perform any diagnostic functions. I was not able to relearn the restraints ID (primary key) to setup the BCM with the SIR System to have the airbags work again.
I tried to update the software on the PCMCIA Card in the Tech2, but was not able to update. The System always gave me an error message after 50% of the writing process on the PCMCIA card...

I Emailed the seller and he told me that this unit IS a clone, and not able to perform all the functions an OEM Tech 2 can do...
The seller offered me a full refund. I sent the unit back, and two weeks later i got the paypal refund on my account. Bad story, good ending!

I kept on searching for Tech2´s on ebay and other platforms, and was trying to stay away from clones.
Finally i bought a used one from a closed Gm dealership. It´s an older HP unit, but as far as i know, if it says HP (hewlett packard) on the Tech2, the chance that it is a clone is low...
I purchased new 32Mb PCMCIA and CANdI from OEM vendors to make shure those a no clones as well...

I ended up spending as much $$ for my "new/used" units, as i did for the brand new clone... which didnt work...

So there might be clones out there that work fine, but i will stay away from the for shure!

Just to let you guys know!

Jochen

Get notified of new replies

To WTB Tech 2 scanner. clone or no clone?

Quick Reply: WTB Tech 2 scanner. clone or no clone?