C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Recommendation - Gears - Reputable Shop - IVO VA

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
sgrubbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommendation - Gears - Reputable Shop - IVO VA

I sold my C5 and recently bought a 2007 convertible with an A6 paddle shift transmission. I don't know what gears are in this thing, but I am going to have to change them. My C5 Z51 had 3:42's installed by ECS which resulted in much more on-demand power. Any recommendations where I can get gears installed by a reputible shop that can also tweak the tune in the VA area. What gears do you recommend - why. I don't run at the track, but I want to take full advantage of the LS2's extra horsepower. I am not interested in going with a heads/cam/FI package quite yet.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Ed Hutchings in Portsmouth can take good care of you. A lot of us drive all the way down from Northern VA for Ed's work. He's in Germany right now delivering and installing a stroker motor but will be back next week.

Check him out thehpfactory.com

Kevin

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-26-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
wayne2seater
Advanced

I have a 98 c5 and have been thinging of changing the gears. Was it a big difference before and after with the 342's from the stock one's? Also , about how much do something like that cost?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by wayne2seater
I have a 98 c5 and have been thinging of changing the gears. Was it a big difference before and after with the 342's from the stock one's? Also , about how much do something like that cost?
We charge $1395 to swap your mn6 3.42 to 4.10s.

With 4.10 gears you will shave off 3 tenths of a second in the 1/4 mile which is a nice improvement.

It is a noticeable difference...

Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
0foff667
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Ed Hutchings in Portsmouth can take good care of you. A lot of us drive all the way down from Northern VA for Ed's work. He's in Germany right now delivering and installing a stroker motor but will be back next week.

Check him out hpfactory.com

Kevin
Ed is a supporting tuner on this forum as well under the name edcmat-l1 I've talked to him several times and he definitely knows his stuff.

If you decide to take the trip up to ECS they will do you right at well

Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 AM
IFLUBYU
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECS is worth the day trip for either the tune or gear swap. You are not likely to want to do both at the same time, you will need some break in miles, couple of heat cycles, and at least one fluid swap after the gears before you can nail it enough on the dyno to tweak the tune.

If you just want to get the gears done first, check with Tom up at Cooper Corvettes in Dumfries, VA (going north from frednecksburg, thats just on the other side of Quantico). They don't have a dyno, but should be able to hook you up on the gear swap. I'm not sure what their solution for changing the gear ratio in the PCM so it will shift right, just call and ask.
www.coopercorvettes.com

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendation - Gears - Reputable Shop - IVO VA

Quick Reply: Recommendation - Gears - Reputable Shop - IVO VA