C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Question

Old 07-05-2007, 11:55 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question

I've had my car dyno'd by two different tuners, both are great. One tuner locks the TC on my A4.

The other tuner doesn't lock the TC.
The TC is a stock.
Which is the correct way of doing it?
Thanks,
Sleeper
Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Billdog350
Drifting

The locked TC will give you a higher number, but if your tune isn't set up to lock your TC at WOT, then the other tuner who left it unlocked is giving you a more "realistic" number compared to what you'll see on the street.

I don't know enough about autos to tell you which is "correct" but usually I hear most tuners locking the TC for dyno pulls.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:24 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

No real correct way to do it--more of a preference--I prefer to un-lock it as when you're racing or just driving hard the converter will always unlock when going to WOT so dynoing it that way gives you a more "real world" comparison--
Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

I fully understand now.
Basically locking the TC on the dyno will give you higher dyno numbers and having it unlocked is the realistic street rwhp numbers.
Like said dynoing is for bragging rights and a street tune is for fine tuning and realistic performance.

Thanks for the replies,

Sleeper

Last edited by SLPRC5; 07-06-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locking the converter takes the slip out of the equation. It makes it one to one like its supposed to be.
Running them unlocked does 2 things.
1: It doesnt show an accurate HP number, because of the slip.
2: It allows the converter to flash, if you hit the throttle at the right time, which in turn gives a false torque reading, or spike.
When I dyno autos, I dont just lock the converter, I lock them in 3rd gear also. That way you can start the pull earlier in the RPMs and get a nice, true graph both torque and HP. Without the car wanting to down shift on you.
I've had cars with pretty high stalls, and done some tests locked and unlocked. I have seen differences of over 30 RWHP between locked and unlocked. The higher your stall, the more of a sponge effect.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SleeperC5
I fully understand now.
Basically locking the TC on the dyno will give you higher dyno numbers and having it unlocked is the realistic street rwhp numbers.
Locking them gives you the realistic numbers. Just as realistic as if you had a M6. With a clutch, no slip. Does that mean that M6 numbers are unrealistic?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Locking them gives you the realistic numbers. Just as realistic as if you had a M6. With a clutch, no slip. Does that mean that M6 numbers are unrealistic?
All of this is new to me..this statement from you makes since.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Locking the converter takes the slip out of the equation. It makes it one to one like its supposed to be.
Running them unlocked does 2 things.
1: It doesnt show an accurate HP number, because of the slip.
2: It allows the converter to flash, if you hit the throttle at the right time, which in turn gives a false torque reading, or spike.
When I dyno autos, I dont just lock the converter, I lock them in 3rd gear also. That way you can start the pull earlier in the RPMs and get a nice, true graph both torque and HP. Without the car wanting to down shift on you.
I've had cars with pretty high stalls, and done some tests locked and unlocked. I have seen differences of over 30 RWHP between locked and unlocked. The higher your stall, the more of a sponge effect.
Yes the tuner does it in 3rd gear and the traction control disengaged.

Get notified of new replies

To Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question