C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Connecting wideband via EGR or A/C Pressure in HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I don't see it.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry if this is posted in a response that I overlooked but...

So I can tell which pin is which, which is pin 1 on the connector?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never mind.... the top (where the wire enters the connector) of the connector has numbers

Last edited by AVB; 02-14-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:28 PM
blownnastyc5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got this to work, but its reading extremely high compared to my Dynotech WIDEBAND II, the gauge is reading 13.4 at idle and in the scanner I'm seeing 16-17, who do I trust???? If it makes any difference the 02 is in the X-pipe, its a Kooks O/R x-pipe w/Kooks headers.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Always trust the wideband gauge. The WB is before the cats if you have them right? You will need to verify the function is correct in HPT to match your wideband's output. Do you have a link to the manual for the WB?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
blownnastyc5
Burning Brakes

Sorry, was a typo on my part, its a DynoJET.... but yea, no cats and put it in the alotted hole for the wideband. I used the formula on the sticky for running it through EGR. I didnt try any wot pulls, just idle to see if it worked then had other stuff to do. The car runs rich all the time after warm, but is steady 11.6 at WOT. Who knows, maybe I'll figure it out. Here is a link to the wideband set up I have.

http://www.dynojetwb2.com/wb2_details.aspx
Old 04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

The formula is specific to each wideband and the AFR range the voltage range spans.

The manual: http://www.powercommander.com/downlo...8200017.03.pdf

Says: AFR= (Volts * 1.6)+10 or to put it anotherway; Volts/.625+10
Old 04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
blownnastyc5
Burning Brakes

Ah, so instead of mine being .5)+10, it should be .625)+10? Thats why I ask, I'm to stupid to figure it out,lol

Many Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Yes, instead of [pid.nnnn]/.5+10 it should be [pid.nnnn]/.625+10 or [pid.nnnn]*1.6+10 where pid.nnnn is either the EGR or AC pressure pid depending on which you're using.

If it is still off after changing the equation and it is off by less than 1 AFR then adjust the +10 up or down until it matches to take into account voltage offset.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:27 PM
blownnastyc5
Burning Brakes

As they say, when all else fails -RTFM-
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM
JeremyBlackwell
Advanced

Originally Posted by 'VETTE PHASE

EGR

• The EGR wire is located at Pin 55 on the Blue connector of the PCM (NOTE: on the 97-98 Corvettes this will be Pin 9 on the Blue connector).
Hi guys, sorry to dig up an old post, but I'm trying to determine the easiest way to wire in an LC1 into HP Tuners (Non-Pro model obviously). I have a 1997 Corvette, which obviously does not come with an EGR on the intake manifold. So, is 'VETTE PHASE' post above correct about the 1997 model having an EGR wire on Pin 9 of the blue connector on the PCM? Right now, the car is using the A/C Pressure Switch as the signal wire, but it's HOT outside and I need to do some logging and A/C would be nice to have while doing so! Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not to bring back an old thread, but is anybody else seeing a voltage increase through the EGR pin versus gauge reading? With the LC1, you connect to your laptop and command a certain voltage. If I command 3v, my DB gauge reads a few tenths lower than it should, and my HPT scanner reads a few tenths higher, at ~3.15v. When I use the Logworks program for the LC1, I get a reading inbetween the two, which is the one I'm going to trust.

I'm leaving it as is for the moment since my WBO2 is placed post-cat (not good I know, but going with ORX soon) so I'm tuning a tad on the rich side to hopefully compensate for the leaner reading.

None the less, I thought it was strange that there's a voltage increase. Issue with the LC1 maybe?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:12 PM
macc10
3rd Gear

Default aem wideband through egr

Originally Posted by 'VETTE PHASE
I wrote this a while back just for personal information. This is based on HP Tuners.

UPDATED

Reading a Wideband through the EGR or A/C Pressure Switch

EGR

• The EGR wire is located at Pin 55 on the Blue connector of the PCM (NOTE: on the 97-98 Corvettes this will be Pin 9 on the Blue connector).

• On vehicles that come with an EGR (Camaro's, etc.), there will be a Brown wire at Pin 55, it is designated “EGR Pintle Position Sensor Signal” in a pinout schematic.

• If your vehicle did not come equipped with an EGR (Corvette), there will not be a wire and the schematic will say "Not Used". Just add a wire to the PCM at Pin 55 (or 9), everything still works the same. I went to a junkyard and found a plug under the hood of a GM vehicle with the same type of ends as the PCM wires. Click here for instructions on how to gain access to your PCM.

• Connect the Wideband 02 wire with the 0-5v output to the EGR wire at Pin 55(or 9). This may be all you need to do with some widebands, some others require a ground. Check the wiring schematic for your specific unit.

A/C Pressure Switch

• There are 3 wires connected to the A/C Pressure sensor. The Red wire with Black stripe that is going to the PCM is the one we want to use. You can go to a junkyard and find another connector to plug into this so you can switch back and forth or you can buy a Maintain switch that, when you switch it one way it reads from the A/C sensor and when switched the other way, it reads from the Wideband O2 output wire. Either way will work fine, so that you can easily put it back to normal when you are done tuning.

HP Tuner Scanner

• Now that the wiring is done, you need to set it up in HP Tuners. You will need some information on your specific wideband that will be in the widebands paperwork. You will have to set up a formula to change the voltage (0-5v) into your AFR wideband reading. It will look like this:

VOLTS / (VOLTAGE RANGE/DEVICE RANGE) + (MINIMUM VALUE OF DEVICE READING) = AFR

VOLTS = the voltage that the wideband 02 sensor is putting out to the EGR wire

VOLTAGE RANGE = typically 5v (0-5v), some people use the narrowband 02 input (not recommended) which is 1v (0-1v)

DEVICE RANGE = the range your wideband is set to read. If the wideband is set to read from 10 – 20 AFR, then the range will be 10. If set to read from 8 – 22 AFR, the range will be 14, etc.

MINIMUM VALUE OF DEVICE READING = the lowest number that your wideband is set to read. In the above examples, it would be 10 for the first example, and 8 for the second.

I am using a PLX SM-AFR 250 that is set to read AFR from 10-20, so I will use it for my example. The formula will be:

VOLTS / (5/10) + 10 = AFR or,

(VOLTS / .5) + 10 = AFR

• Since HP Tuners Scanner will be using the EGR or AC Pressure switch to get its readings from, we need to add that into the formula. The PID for the EGR on LS1 based cars is PID.2811 (EGR Position). Now the formula reads like this:

([PID.2811]/.5)+10 = AFR

• The formula for the A/C Pressure switch is the same, you will just have to change the PID to PID.7101.

([PID.7101]/.5)+10 = AFR

Custom PID

• Open Table Display in VCM Scanner

• Right click any blank line and choose Insert

• This will open the Insert PIDs display

• Here you will see PID List, AUX Input List and User Defined. Click the + next to User Defined to open the drop down list

• Double click Configure User Defined to open Configure User Defined Parameters

• Click on one of the numbers with <undefined> next to it

• For Name:, put the name of your choice, say, Air Fuel Ratio

• For Abbrv:, put AFR

• For Sensor:, open the drop down box and choose "None"

• For Units:, open the drop down box and choose ":1"

• Under Function:, insert your formula. For EGR it is ([PID.2811]/.5)+10

• If you are using the A/C Pressure switch, use the formula: ([PID.7101]/.5)+10

• That’s it, just click the Up Arrow to commit changes, then click the X at the top right to close the box and click the Save icon on the Histogram Configuration page.

• To make a custom PID for AFR % Error make your way back to the Configure User Defined parameters page. There will already be an Air Fuel Ratio Error PID. Open it and look at the information in the Function box.

• Copy this formula EXACTLY. It will look like this:

100*([SENS.120]-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121]

• Since SENS.120 is the AFR SENSOR we want to create a new Custom PID and substitute our new formula in place of SENS.120, then enter this into the Function box. Now it will look like this:

100*((([PID.2811]/.5)+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] or

100*((([PID.7101]/.5)+10)-[SENS.121])/[SENS.121] for the A/C Pressure switch. If you have trouble, double check all your parenthesis. It is best to copy/paste this formula.

• On this Custom PID, give it a name, use AFR%Error for the Abbrv, leave Sensor blank, and use % for Units.

• Now, you can change the information in your VE and MAF Histograms to use the custom PIDs that you just made.

ATTENTION: In Editor (Engine/General), you have to enable EGR. Also, don’t forget that each of these below will have to be logged in Table Display:

- EGR Position, if your are using EGR Pinout 55 (or 9). Located: (PID List/Engine/Emissions/EGR Position (V))
- A/C Pressure, if you are using the A/C Pressure switch. Located: (PID List/System/AC/AC Pressure (V))
- AFR
- AFR % Error
- AFR Commanded
when u say make a new custom PID for AFR % Error are u sayin select a blank area and put the same info as the original but put the new values in the function area
Old 06-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Question on 08 C6 LS3 PCM connectors

I am at the point of connecting the Brown output from my AFR controller. Which connector on the pcm J1 black or J2 white do I connect to pin 55?
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:57 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Beer99C5@FastbirdPerf.com
Fuel Pressure Logging and wiring through EGR PCM pinouts.

http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/T...itTutorial.zip is the tutorial that TAQ did.

Autometer Fuel Sending unit 2246

You need the harness as well PN 5223

Here is log showing a big problem with my fuel system

Jim's not on here much anymore. Anyone know of a pin on the PCM to pull a 5v power for the Fuel Pressure sending unit he references here?
Old 06-24-2015, 04:29 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

If you're just looking for a 5V power source, I used the MAP, tapped into it close to the sensor.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Connecting wideband via EGR or A/C Pressure in HP Tuners

Old 08-13-2015, 12:05 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

For those of you wishing to install a fuel pressure sensor into your pcm via pin 55, here's a link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pcm-pins.html
Old 02-03-2016, 10:23 AM
SVT_Z06
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Version 3.0 UPDATE

Guys/gals

Just an fyi. You'll have to make a math formula for this to work.

I'm using the a/c pressure sensor.

Just select your Parameter, (automatically selects the value of the parameter) then enter the rest of your formula without spaces. I'll post a screenshot later.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:14 PM
maxgee
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SVT_Z06
Guys/gals

Just an fyi. You'll have to make a math formula for this to work.

I'm using the a/c pressure sensor.

Just select your Parameter, (automatically selects the value of the parameter) then enter the rest of your formula without spaces. I'll post a screenshot later.
SVT, do you have the pic. I am having issues trying to figure out how to plug this one in for 3.0 version. Thanks

Quick Reply: Connecting wideband via EGR or A/C Pressure in HP Tuners