C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Connecting wideband via EGR or A/C Pressure in HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
I am doing something similiar with EFI Live, only using the EGR pinouts for 5V power and ground to feed my Autometer Fuel Pressure sending unit, and using the EGR sensor voltage to report fuel Pressure.

Works great.
Post it up in here too.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Beer99C5@FastbirdPerf.com
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Fuel Pressure Logging and wiring through EGR PCM pinouts.

http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/T...itTutorial.zip is the tutorial that TAQ did.

Autometer Fuel Sending unit 2246

You need the harness as well PN 5223

Here is log showing a big problem with my fuel system

Old 06-07-2007, 09:29 PM
WestSideC5
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you Sabe.

Just what the Doctor ordered.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:16 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just ordered my LC-1 setup Will definitly look into this install approach. I too would opt for the EGR, do like the AC in the heat of the Summer.

By the way, were is the best place to get those pins? Do you need a special crimp tool or do they solder on to the wire?

Thanks for a great how-to
Old 06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WestSideC5
Thank you Sabe.

Just what the Doctor ordered.
No problem, glad to be of some help!

Sorry I havent gotten around to the A/F error histogram yet. I have been working on getting 2 cars together. As soon as I get a chance I will finish up the sticky. Next I think we need to get a sticky on basic tuning questions and kind of a tuning 101 sticky. LS1tech has us beat on the tuning section, we gotta catch up.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I did this (WB through AC input) on my '99 and again on my '05. It has worked great for me. I did run into a snag the other day thought. I was doing idle tuning in the parking garage, had the WB ported through the AC so the PCM was not seeing AC pressure. Suddenly I heard a loud hissing from under the hood. Popped it and freon was spewing everywhere. Luckily the C6 compressors are equipped with a pop off valve so that is all that happened but without one there is the potential to seiz up the compressor or blow out a seal. (Not sure about the C5 compressors)

I did some digging and found the TSB about the '05's and early '06's AC systems being overfilled at the factory at 1.4# of 134. After numerouse complaints of the AC not working right (because the AC pressure was getting too high and the compressor was not engaging) they lowered the factory fill to 1.1#.

So I think this may be isolated to C6's affected by that TSB, but it is important to keep in mind that your AC is running unchecked when you have the AC pressure signal bypassed. It may be worth going through the extra work to put a wire on the un-used EGR pin.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:23 AM
95BlueBomber
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why I dont run my AC when logging my wideband.
Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I did this (WB through AC input) on my '99 and again on my '05. It has worked great for me. I did run into a snag the other day thought. I was doing idle tuning in the parking garage, had the WB ported through the AC so the PCM was not seeing AC pressure. Suddenly I heard a loud hissing from under the hood. Popped it and freon was spewing everywhere. Luckily the C6 compressors are equipped with a pop off valve so that is all that happened but without one there is the potential to seiz up the compressor or blow out a seal. (Not sure about the C5 compressors)

I did some digging and found the TSB about the '05's and early '06's AC systems being overfilled at the factory at 1.4# of 134. After numerouse complaints of the AC not working right (because the AC pressure was getting too high and the compressor was not engaging) they lowered the factory fill to 1.1#.

So I think this may be isolated to C6's affected by that TSB, but it is important to keep in mind that your AC is running unchecked when you have the AC pressure signal bypassed. It may be worth going through the extra work to put a wire on the un-used EGR pin.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Beer99C5@FastbirdPerf.com
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mowton

By the way, were is the best place to get those pins? Do you need a special crimp tool or do they solder on to the wire?

Thanks for a great how-to
Pins can be found at
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/100w.aspx

I just crimped mine with needle nose pliers and soldered like the picture in the previous post.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Pins can be found at
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/100w.aspx

I just crimped mine with needle nose pliers and soldered like the picture in the previous post.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:21 AM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by mowton
You can also go to your local junkyard and open the hood on any late model GM (probably others) and find a connector with the 18 ga pins. I got mine off of a Blazer. I pulled the connector apart, cut the wires about 3" long and the guy at the junkyard just let me have it. There were about 12 in all.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Bill - getting ready to do this on my 05...already had the freon removed under your TSB.

Is the wiring the same for 05 as this thread?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Hey Joe, here is the '05 specific wiring info you need: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...wiring+diagram
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Hey Joe, here is the '05 specific wiring info you need: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...wiring+diagram
Beautiful. Thanks!

Did you tap in at the ECM or did you tap in at the AC switch (which appears to be readily accessable)?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

I did it the hard way and spliced in right near the PCM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I did it the hard way and spliced in right near the PCM.
Hey Bill.....

Any chance you'd send me your .cfg file so I don't have to go through the brain damage of creating the pid & histogram and all that stuff? Been fooling with it for a while and my head is spinning..

joegut at gmail .com

I'd owe you one if you could!
Old 04-11-2008, 04:03 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

You got mail.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:10 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

You got mail.
You're the man! Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Connecting wideband via EGR or A/C Pressure in HP Tuners

Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

We finally got this to work, thanks a bunch for the instructions guys!

THERE WERE A FEW THINGS NOT CLEAR TO US IN THE POSTS ABOVE - HERE IS WHAT WE ENDED UP DOING TO MAKE IT WORK, PERHAPS THIS WILL HELP SOMEONE.

The last bullet in 2000-c5's post was our main snag...we missed that the first time.

We got our custom pids in no problem just as described above, EXCEPT we listed our custom AFR pid as Sensor: Air Fuel Ratio and Units :1. [The picture above shows Sensor: Volts and Units: AFR - that didn't work for us.]

The % error custom pid was easy, leave the Sensor field blank and choose % for the and Units, and copy and paste the formula from 2000-C5's post above.

We our custom Pids in the table, but it kept saying unsupported parameter for our custom pids.

Once we re-opened the table and put in our custom PIDs, AND the AC Pressure (V) pid in the table and the Air Fuel Ratio Commanded Hi Res...(these included PIDS are included under System, AC System and Fuel System, respectively) it worked perfectly!!

We then opened our scanning chart, right clicked on the AFR line, and chose our custom AFR Pid we made, and that works perfecly.

We then opened the Histograms, click on the customization icon next to table 12, clicked on the VE AFR error histogram and chose our custom AFR Error PID we put in, and viola, we're logging AFR actual/commanded errors!

We noticed our LC1 had a slight voltage drop compared to our XD-16 Gauge - we used +9.6 instead of +10 in the custom AFR PID we made, and then the HP Tuners scan matched the gauge almost perfectly.

Hope this last little bit of info will save someone the hour we spent trying to figure that out!

Last edited by Joe_G; 04-20-2008 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
c5golfguy (07-24-2018)
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Man! I gotta learn this stuff! tuning engine with a/c? wow!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 AM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
Man! I gotta learn this stuff! tuning engine with a/c? wow!
I found your thread and another one like it for LT1's on the Z28 forum. I'll be using them to try this on my C4 with Datamaster TTS. Thanks! I'm already logging and doing basic tuning. Having the WBO2 will be nice. I think I'm going to try and use the EGR sensor if it's still 0-5v since I deleted the EGR system. Anyone using an LM1 for both the stock O2 PCM readings and wideband readings going thru EGR or AC to a data logger. I found a similar write up below.

http://www.thend.org/~mkane/Corvette/wbo2.html

Quick Reply: Connecting wideband via EGR or A/C Pressure in HP Tuners