Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Installation of a new power duct question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Slash
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation of a new power duct question

I can't believe I have this question, but here goes.

I go to install my new Power Duct

[img]http://content.madirect.com/img300/fr7.jpg[/imb]

But there are two plugs and wires. One to the Mass Air Sensor but there is another closer to the engine, at the top of the duct, just before the accordion.

The Power duct I have doesn't have a plug for this wire.

I've look at a couple online and most are for 97-03 vettes.

What am I missing or is this power duct for a different model year than my 99?

Thank you,
David
Old 09-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Conquer
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (Slash)

Heres your picture... you might have better responses over on general discussion. I believe you have the wrong duct for your 99.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:25 AM
blue98coupe
Pro

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (Conquer)

it is most likely you iat sensor .Measures air intake temp.Good luck :cheers:
Old 09-11-2003, 06:40 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

When I bought my duct from Corvettes of Houston, it didn't have the IAT sensor hole. It fit fine on my '99 though and I just removed the grommet from the old duct and drilled a hole in the new duct the same size as the one in the old duct. Everything worked fine :cheers:
Old 09-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Popclutch
Pro

I did th esame thing.. just drilled the hole and installed the grommet and sensor. Works with NO problems. :flag
Old 09-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Coolaid
Melting Slicks

I am getting ready to install the power duct on my '97. Knowing me, I will probably drill a hole too big and ruin the power duct...anybody know what size to drill? Is it easy to drill into the duct without cracking the carbon fiber? Thanks!
Also...there is also a small tube that goes into the stock accordian that directs air into the throttle body...should I poke a small hole in the silcone coupler that came with my power duct and install that small tube too?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:12 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (Coolaid)

Kurt,

That line that goes into the acordian goes to your fuel pressure regulator. Go ahead and drill or poke a small hole in your new silicon coupler and install it. As for the the power duct, hopefully it comes pre drilled for the Iat sensor. I dont think I would want to try and drill carbon fiber.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:44 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (Coolaid)

I can't remember what size the hole as I just tried different sized drills in the hole of the old one until I found one that just fit. With a variable speed drill, carbon fiber drills pretty easy or to be extra safe you could cover the area you are going to drill with masking tape to prevent the drill from walking.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Valdostavetteguy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (SFVetteman)

Can I ask a question? How do you remove the grommet? Do you pull it out with pliers or try and remove the rubber seal on the inside with a screwdriver or something else? Thanks! Its very important when you don't know and I'm afraid of tearing it up...
Old 09-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Monk
Racer

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (SFVetteman)

I can't remember what size the hole as I just tried different sized drills in the hole of the old one until I found one that just fit. With a variable speed drill, carbon fiber drills pretty easy or to be extra safe you could cover the area you are going to drill with masking tape to prevent the drill from walking.
I'm facing the same issue with my new Volant power duct... no MAT sensor hole. Did you drill the hole in about the same position as stock? Or did you place it closer to the MAF end of the duct as some have suggested? Is this why the duct manufacturers don't just simply drill the hole themselves? Not providing the MAT sensor hole seems kinda lame to me.

Monk :flag :flag :flag
Old 09-13-2003, 08:25 AM
Monk
Racer

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (1 slow 97)

That line that goes into the acordian goes to your fuel pressure regulator. Go ahead and drill or poke a small hole in your new silicon coupler and install it.
Did you have to do anything to seal up the new hole? Is there a better place to insert this sensing line? Damn, I wish the vendors gave out more complete instructions...

Old 09-14-2003, 12:22 AM
carsandguitars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (Monk)

The hole for the MAT sensor is 11/16. The reason they don't drill the hole is that 01 and up Vettes don't have the MAT sensor located there. It is included in the MAF. If you look at your stock air bridge you can see where there is a spot on the opposite side of where the current MAT hole is, towards the front near the MAF. Its a small bumout that is there for another sensor. From what I am reading that is the location that there are suggestions to relocate. Problem is, the wire and plug may not be long enough to reach, since the other connector on that wire run has to attach to the MAF.

I am having the same problem with my bridge and there is nothing out there to assist with better instructions. I have an additional problem since I have a non stock MAF housing, so I am having connection problems. (didn't help that the Blackwing I bought used on the forum came without the clamps.

The instructions from the air bridge don't tell you anything about how to cut that hole. Shy of waiting until Monday to call WCC, I am going to line up the whole set up to make sure that I don't cut a hole too close to the coupler. I'll mark it, take it off the engine, cover it with masking tape and then drill a small guide hole in the middle of the marked spot. I bought a fan blade to cut the hole. Cannot find a hole saw in that size. The one I bought has small notches on the blade that cuts the outside circle for the hole first so as to keep it in line. The guide hole will keep the center blade in line. I will start at slow speed and then work it easily until the hole is through. I read that a small amount of Windex or WD 40 will make the rubber move easier when re-installing.

Hope this helps
Dave
:cheers:
Old 09-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Monk
Racer

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (carsandguitars)

The hole for the MAT sensor is 11/16. The reason they don't drill the hole is that 01 and up Vettes don't have the MAT sensor located there. It is included in the MAF. If you look at your stock air bridge you can see where there is a spot on the opposite side of where the current MAT hole is, towards the front near the MAF. Its a small bumout that is there for another sensor. From what I am reading that is the location that there are suggestions to relocate. Problem is, the wire and plug may not be long enough to reach, since the other connector on that wire run has to attach to the MAF. I am having the same problem with my bridge and there is nothing out there to assist with better instructions. I have an additional problem since I have a non stock MAF housing, so I am having connection problems. (didn't help that the Blackwing I bought used on the forum came without the clamps. The instructions from the air bridge don't tell you anything about how to cut that hole. Shy of waiting until Monday to call WCC, I am going to line up the whole set up to make sure that I don't cut a hole too close to the coupler. I'll mark it, take it off the engine, cover it with masking tape and then drill a small guide hole in the middle of the marked spot. I bought a fan blade to cut the hole. Cannot find a hole saw in that size. The one I bought has small notches on the blade that cuts the outside circle for the hole first so as to keep it in line. The guide hole will keep the center blade in line. I will start at slow speed and then work it easily until the hole is through. I read that a small amount of Windex or WD 40 will make the rubber move easier when re-installing.
Thanks very much for the explanation and tips. Now it makes sense why they ship with no hole. Yes, I wondered if the stock MAT wire would reach over to the alternate location. Probably not. I notice the aftermarket MAT relocation product does have a rather long wire. I think I will keep it in its current location... more or less... or sell this Volant bridge to someone with a 2001 or newer and buy one with the hole already molded in for the MAT sensor. I don't want this to look butchered or amateurish.

I am getting more concerned about the fuel pressure line. The archives contain myriad opinions on this... almost all contradictory to one another.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:44 AM
jlmvett
Instructor

I just installed a Vortex duct on my '99 and had the same problem. However, mine came with an instruction shet. It call for hole to be drilled in front on the coupler at the back of the duct ( in the carbon fiber). I measured the hole in the stock duct and made a new hole in approximately the same location.
Notice I said "made a hole" not drilled a hole. I am a manufacturing engineer in an aerospace company and machine carbon fiber everyday. DONOT try and drill a hole the size of the stock one, my was .630 in diameter. Drill a 1/4" hole first. Slowly do not force the drill. Then with a grinding stone (A Dremel Tool work well here) finish grind the hole to size.
Drilling carbon fiber is like drilling plywood. On the exit side of the drilled hole it will want to delaminate and break away, thus ruining the part.
When grinding don't breathe this stuff, wear a filter.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:34 AM
carsandguitars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Installation of a new power duct question (jlmvett)

Wow, thanks for that advice on the drilling. I was really nervous about hacking up a 250.00 part, but not that patient to wait until Monday. I did use a smaller driller bit, follow by another one slightly larger and then used the Dremel to grind out the edges to make it fit. Worked perfectly and a nice clean hole.

Thanks to the Forum AGAIN. MOD worked out nicely.

Get notified of new replies

To Installation of a new power duct question

Quick Reply: Installation of a new power duct question