Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: C7 Carbon

WTB: Differential tools…

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 08:38 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Differential tools…

Looking for all the tools needed to setup a diff. My ‘03 Z rear diff has started to whine at only 29k miles, so I’m going to tackle a rebuild…if I can get the tools and hopefully the parts. Anyhoo, let me know what you guys have laying on the shelf, or in the toolbox in the way. A lot of times these specialty tools get used one time and collect dust.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:23 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Could check with some Chevy dealers. They might sell you their Kent-Moore tool set. I doubt its a required tool any longer.
This forum thread has prints for making the tools:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-how-to.html
The following users liked this post:
C5workinprogress (03-24-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:23 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by voda1
Could check with some Chevy dealers. They might sell you their Kent-Moore tool set. I doubt its a required tool any longer.
This forum thread has prints for making the tools:https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-how-to.html
You know after just looking through that thread, it sure makes the price of just buying one already done and ready to install from someone like RPM Transmissions or RKT Performance seem all that more "reasonable".
Old 03-25-2024, 08:07 AM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Scratch this. Finally got my car up on my lift yesterday and found it’s my transmission….thanks for the replies fellers.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:18 AM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
You know after just looking through that thread, it sure makes the price of just buying one already done and ready to install from someone like RPM Transmissions or RKT Performance seem all that more "reasonable".
I didn't even know they sold those tool sets.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:55 AM
Bobbo76
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

This is a tough one and went through it myself. You can do some improvisation but some tools you'll have to have. I found "this" when I did mine and would have NOT been successful with out it.
Rear-gear Swap/Differential Rebuild How-To - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

The specs to have the tools made is all in there. The biggest two you need is a splined shaft to hold the diff while you remove/install the pinion bearing and you need the wrench for the same job. Most other tools are "nice to have" but not mandatory if you have access to a reasonably well equipped shop.

Best of luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Differential tools…

Quick Reply: WTB: Differential tools…