Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Alan Staid)

Old 01-18-2003, 01:11 AM
buddybgdog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Alan Staid)

Sold him a set rods, pistons, crank and block 4 weeks ago and have been getting the jerked around for the $400 he owes me since then. I have called him(hourly some days), emailed him at least 8 times and all I am getting is the run around.

I really didn’t want to go here with this, but maybe this will keep someone else from making the same mistake I did. I am kicking my self in the butt for letting him pay half up front and half when he got it, because another forum member told me NOT to sell to him unless I got ALL my cash up front. He told me there was a long thread not too long ago where he jerked around someone else a few months before. I went back and read it and it was déjà vu.

Before I sold him anything, I sent him an email on Dec 11 that outlined what he would be getting, what to do if he didn’t like it (I had not looked at the stuff he was getting) and when the balance was due. (I’ll spare you all the details of the email unless he starts spouting some BS) I sold him a block, crank, a set of rods, the crank, and the pistons. I also told him, that the parts would be coming from a long block that I bought from a GM tech who had replaced this motor under warranty because of a bad lifter/cam. I was going to use the motor as a project motor but decided to go with an iron block instead.

I had NOT pulled the heads or the pan or inspected ANYTHING. I had just got it a couple days before leaving for out of town. I told him that. I also told that the only impression I had of the motor was when I loaded it in my truck, when I bought it, it looked fairly new to me. My discussions with Al took place while I out of town for 3 weeks. He told me he wanted it, haggled over the price and what parts he was getting and we came to an agreement. I told him (also in my email) that because I had just bought it and hadn’t looked at it, the ONLY guarantee I could give him was that if he didn’t like it or it was a piece of crap, he could send it back I would refund his money. He would be responsible for the shipping costs to return it.

Well he kept it.

It is installed and running in his car right now.

And I am still getting jerked around.

I called MMS (where AL had the work done) and they verified that the parts were all good parts and were obviously very low mileage parts.

Al complained about having to replace rings on a couple pistons and a couple rod bearings. I told him I was sorry about that but he knew that I didn’t check it over and I didn’t guarantee anything other than to give him his money back. All I could tell him is what the tech told me…. that is that the motor was out of 2000, had 2500 miles and that it was replaced be GM under warranty for a failed lifter/cam. I didn’t think it was unreasonable that he might have to replace rings and bearings during the course of a rebuild. The only thing Al DID specifically ask about prior to shipping was about the cam bearings (because of the lifter/cam failure). They were checked and they were fine.

To me, his choices were simple. He could keep it and pay me the $400, or send it back and I would refund the money he already paid. Unfortunately, instead of doing what he agreed to he wants me to pay for his rebuild.

I would really appreciate some help on this. He already threatened to call his attorney on me yesterday if I post this on the forum, but I am posting it anyway.

I am tired of being jerked around by AlFromSD for the last 2 weeks and just want the money he owes me.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Richard
Old 01-18-2003, 01:23 AM
RCswish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (buddybgdog)

Dont feel that bad, your not the first this guy has done this to. Take a look

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=384958

That guys is not someone to do business with.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:00 AM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD

:mad :cuss Sorry for the mess and sorry to hear this guy is giving us Cali owners a bad reputation. Two negative forum posts is not good.

I'm going to dedicate this beer to you, you've had a rough night. :cheers:
Old 01-18-2003, 02:24 AM
0Sales@MVPAutoParts.com
Former Vendor

I'm not surprise to see his name under a negative post. :mad :mad :mad
Old 01-18-2003, 02:37 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Tuan Le)

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Al. His name does seem to pop up in negative posts more than usual.

I'd keep this post up top and appeal to the San Diego members of this forum to step up and help you clear things up with him. The last time this happened a bunch of them chimed in.

Best of luck.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:35 AM
hog
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Old 01-18-2003, 09:59 AM
BobG
Race Director

Received 3,572 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Because of past history, your story sounds pretty believeable. I'd suggest ol' AlFromSD needs to complete his transaction. Forum members shouldn't be ripping off other forum members.... :mad
Old 01-18-2003, 10:14 AM
sick_vette
Racer

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (BobG)

This is :bs if stuff like this keeps happening no one is going to trust buying from the forum. We are screwing are selfs. I say put the pressure on and see what happens.
Good luck :cheers:

Keep us posted!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:16 AM
paid4c4
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (blackroadster)

Sorry to hear about your problem. I got screwed by a different forum member last month so I know how you feel. I still trust most forum members but keep in mind there are dead beats and theives in every walk of life and unfortunately there are several here on Corvette Forum.
AL needs to make good you the deal and get on with business.
Bill :) :)
Old 01-18-2003, 11:24 AM
FNC80
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (paid4c4)

Bill,

Sorry to hear of that happening to you as well. I think that after dealing with so many people, you're bound to come across one with zero integrity. It's pathetic to think that in this group of vette owners with a supposed kinship, there are still those that will prey on others for a couple bucks.

$400 can't buy class or ethics.

:cheers:

ttt for ya
Old 01-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Conquer
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Sorry to hear!

He wanted it, he has it, he pays for it! period! :cuss
Old 01-18-2003, 12:20 PM
98ragtop
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Conquer)

:iagree: What comes around goes around in the END he will get his. Hang in there.And try to :D
Old 01-18-2003, 12:54 PM
oceanaire
Burning Brakes

Where is he located?
Old 01-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (98ragtop)

If you are involved in more than one questionable transaction, can you be suspended/revoked ?? (Similar situations) I have two bad Ebay deals currently (one was a underage minor) and they seem to get all the benefits. I just file fraud complaints, mail Certified Letters, and contact Police in their city. That way in multiple issues they get busted. I hope your does not have to go to that resolve.... :cheers:
Old 01-18-2003, 01:02 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Killrwheels)

What a shame. :nonod:
Old 01-18-2003, 01:50 PM
cselz
Burning Brakes

:nonod:
Oh man....didn't we just go thru this a few months ago? It's ground hog day, all over again.
Sorry for the troubles....this is a great forum, with great folks. This kind of incident is happening WAY more than it should lately. E-Bay is one thing, but here, we're all in this together.
Best thing before you buy or sell is to check out any previous posts, etc. and if the hair on the back of your neck stands up......be afraid, be very afraid.
:skep:

Hope it gets resolved,

-CSelz
Old 01-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (cselz)

Here is a suggestion:

I have a separate page in my Corvette folder where I write down the names of the guys that get bad feedback here in the Corvette Parts For Sale Section. Then, when I get ready to deal with someone, I check the list to see if their name is on there.

Whereas I'm sorry to hear that you apparently have not been paid, the Forum can't do anything to help you. You will have to solve this off-line from the Forum. The feedback to the rest of us is always good.

Let's see if AlfromSD replies.

Noggles

Get notified of new replies

To Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Alan Staid)

Old 01-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Noggles)

like Noggles I have a file that I also keep names of members that have a GOOD / GREAT dealings with, recomendation. Noggles , PaceThis, Levi Ptoctor, etc. When I see something that looks interesting I go to my file. I must say in defence of the Forum that my list of good/ great is larger than the "ripped off" folder
Old 01-18-2003, 03:11 PM
MrWhan
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My heart sank when I saw the name AlFromSD because I remember the time before when his integrity was in question. Sorry about your situation. You can bet he is on our "Noggles" list of people NOT to deal with.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:57 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (98Pace97Coupe)

Wow, I would not have thought Al would do this??? I talked with him for a while one night in IM. Seemed to be a very nice guy. He also designed MMS's new website. I am sorry for your troubles... :nonod:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jerked Around and Ripped Off by AlFromSD (Alan Staid)