Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Rocking Seat Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 01:26 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rocking Seat Fix

I have developed a repair for the rocking seat syndrome. It involves installing some custom machined parts in place of the 'mushy rubber' that comes in the stock seat tracks... If anyone is interested, I will repair your rocking seat and turn it around in 24 hours for $200. If you are in Arizona it would be easy, but if you are farther you would need to ship me your seat track assembly... Contact me at <mreracer@tabletoptelephone.com>
Shirl
SD Racing Enterprises
:cool:
Old 09-07-2002, 01:48 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (MrEracer)

I think this is the best deal out there.
The dealer charged almost $800 (under warranty) and it started rocking again (car is still under warranty). Seems like these parts didn't even last as long as original stuff.
Old 09-07-2002, 02:40 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (PeterK)

Peter they charged you even tho the car was under warrenty??? Please help an old guy out and explain how???
Old 09-07-2002, 02:52 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (Grumpy)

Well, they didn't charge me - the dealer billed GM over $800 for this "repair". They always give me an invoice where all the services/parts are listed and shown as billed to GM.

I guess, if not for GMPP, I'd be at the receiving end of this bill. $800 and less than 6 month later and it is starting to rock again.

Mr. Eraser,
Can you package these parts into one DIY kit? You can prolly even get a patent on it. Even thought I have gmpp, I'd still pay up to $100, just do it right.

Peter they charged you even tho the car was under warrenty??? Please help an old guy out and explain how???

[Modified by PeterK, 12:57 PM 9/7/2002]

[Modified by PeterK, 12:59 PM 9/7/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 06:47 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I would be interested in just a parts kit as well if its possible...

Old 09-07-2002, 07:07 PM
Saving41
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (kp)

I would also be interested in a DIY kit :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 09-07-2002, 07:47 PM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

Guys, because every seat wears differently, it requires custom machined parts made to fit each seat rail mechanism... A universal DIY kit would not accomodate this situation...
Shirl
SDRE
Old 09-07-2002, 08:07 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (kp)

I do know that from having dealt with him in the past, that if Shirl is going to make an item available, it will be very well done. Even though I don't have a rocking seat problem, those that do may want to consider Shirl's services.

Robert :)
Old 09-07-2002, 08:26 PM
c5freak
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (Tx99FRC)

Shirl,
Can you e-mail me a phone number so I can get ahold of you this winter.
I want to be able to drive for the rest of the season but have some things to do on the car in the off-season, including the seat repair.
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:42 PM
roddog
Pro

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (c5freak)

diy kit sounds hella cool
Old 09-12-2002, 08:24 AM
Monk
Racer

There seem to be two distinct problems with the hideous C5 seat adjusters:

1) Sliding forward and back on the rails about 3/16" or so (usually with a hard bang) with each hard stop or fast start due to forward/back screw "drive car" internal play/wear, and,

2) A rocking motion (exactly like a rocking chair) which is apparently due to general looseness and wear and poor design in the raising and tilting mechanisms (i.e., moreso than in the rails themselves). Sometimes this latter symptom can be reduced temporarily merely by changing the seating position.

There are other secondary problems... one of my seats actually had a loose "foot" and others have reported loose seat-to-adjuster mounting bolts... but these are the two major "seat slop" issues. I have spent a lot of time on this and have had some success with a DIY fix on the first problem... but no success whatsoever on the latter problem. Can you please clarify (without giving up any proprietary secrets) which of the undesireable C5 seat actions your fix addresses? Thank you!

[Modified by Monk, 7:44 AM 9/13/2002]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:16 AM
steve1173
Racer

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (Monk)

Had mine fixed under warranty with the new improved version listed here on the forum by the dealer. Now it is rocking sideways & the dealer replacing again.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:06 AM
MrEracer
Burning Brakes

My seat fix is for the forward to aft motion and slop in the sliders... My seat did not have any 'rocking chair' motion. It did have some bent tangs that control the bolster action which I straghtened, but it did not contribute to the problem...
Shirl :D
Old 09-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Topless
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Won't fix mine. My seat rocks up and down at the front.
Old 09-14-2002, 06:16 PM
Monk
Racer

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (steve1173)

Had mine fixed under warranty with the new improved version listed here on the forum by the dealer. Now it is rocking sideways & the dealer replacing again.
Well, this is consistant with what I was told by my local dealer's service manager... that the new improved version of the seat adjuster (referenced in the TSB) isn't much better than the old ones... and that the seats STILL move around after adjuster replacement. He encouraged me to "learn to live with it" and save my money!!! :cry :cry :cry

Needless to say, I didn't listen to him... and ordered the new adjuster listed in the TSB for the driver's side from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com. The good news is that the drive cars had no back and forth play in them whatsoever. The bad news is that the forward-back motor is now held in place by one metal bracket and one plastic spool piece (formerly two metal brackets)... and the plastic spool piece had sheared itself apart merely by banging around in the sealed GM box!!! :cry :cry :cry I can't win!!!

Hence my quest to find a fix for the damn things myself...
Old 09-14-2002, 06:26 PM
Monk
Racer

My seat fix is for the forward to aft motion and slop in the sliders... My seat did not have any 'rocking chair' motion. It did have some bent tangs that control the bolster action which I straghtened, but it did not contribute to the problem...
Shirl :D
Okay... thanks. I think I've finally got that part (i.e., the back and forth sliding part) sufficiently under control... albeit by rather unconventional and unapproved means! But the rocking chair motion continues unabated... especially on the driver's side... and I'd LOVE to find someone who can fix (or tell me how to fix) that nasty problem.

Meanwhile, like all the others, I'd really like to see you develop and sell a DIY kit for those of us who live too far away to make shipping the seats or a shop visit practical... even if it is not a straigtforward & simple "bolt-on" fix! :) :) :)
Old 09-14-2002, 08:30 PM
brewtoo
Racer

I think I've finally got that part (i.e., the back and forth sliding part) sufficiently under control... albeit by rather unconventional and unapproved means!
What did you do to get this sliding under control? Mine doesn't rock, only slides...

:flag
Old 09-14-2002, 10:57 PM
Monk
Racer

Default Re: Rocking Seat Fix (brewtoo)

Unfortunately, my own DIY seat fix affects (i.e., reduces) the structural safety margin designed into the seat and seat anchoring system, otherwise I would have posted it a long time ago. It works well for me because I don't weigh a whole lot and am willing to put up with some minor side effects and risk. It is also only a "90%" fix... there is still some small residual back and forth motion (in addition to the 'unfixed' rocking).

For a bigger dude... I can just see him hurling through the windshield in a minor accident and suing the pants off me for posting my 'risky' fix!!! Lots of accident injury lawyers own Vettes and probably belong to the Forum ya know!!! :( :( :( Besides, I don't want to discourage the initial poster from developing an effective & safe DIY fix kit for all of us! :) :) :)

[Modified by Monk, 10:06 PM 9/14/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Rocking Seat Fix

Quick Reply: Rocking Seat Fix