Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

Replacement heated/dimming drivers mirror glass wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:53 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Default Replacement heated/dimming drivers mirror glass wanted

Anyone have just the glass as my mirror housing is fine for my C5. I would like heated/dimming but will take any kind if I have to. I need only the glass so if you replaced your glass with the muth signal mirrors and want to sell your old glass pls pm me with price. Greeting, Rob
Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 AM
softtailrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning Rob,
Did you know that gm put a piece of clear glass in front of the actual mirror for the self dimming drivers mirror? Between the clear glass is an oil substance that makes it dim when heated. When that seal breaks the mirror looks copper. If you just pop your mirror glass out of the housing,get a old towel and don't let the oil between the glass get on painted surfaces, you can get a razor and hair dryer, cut the bottom wide black plastic trim with razor, heat the cut trim with hair dryer and gently remove the black plastic trim, don't break it, you will need it again! Once off you will see a metal strip on top and bottom that you heat up with hair dryer to remove, then you will see the clear glass in front of your perfect regular mirror glass, remove the clear glass, wipe oil up with rubbing alcohol, get black or clear RTV sealant adhesive and reglue your black trim back on your mirror. Use duct tape to keep it secure until RTV is dry, use razor blade to clean up excess and reinstall drivers mirror. I did it to my Z06, worked great! I have no pictures to share, but I got them off forum last year. I searched, but I can't find instructions for you. Its a few hours to complete. If you need any questions answered let me know.
Todd
Old 01-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Zmeister
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm in the same boat as Rob and I may have to try Todd's fix. My mirror was in the 'copper' stage several years ago and now all of the oil has leaked out and it's just hazy. Was thinking about changing the mirror, but, this may be my solution!

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement heated/dimming drivers mirror glass wanted

Quick Reply: Replacement heated/dimming drivers mirror glass wanted